TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 403 - Park opening for a limited Holiday Event!

Bumping, in an attempt to get a quick answer regarding this question.^

Just went last weekend and my friend bought a new pass. You go to the season pass processing center and get you card. Just take it to the front gate and tell them you want to use your free ticket for today. They scan your card and you go in.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t think you get what I’m saying at all.  As a fan, I’m really glad they opened Carowinds for like a month even though this event was really stupid because I got to ride two coasters and I w

So we went to Taste of Carowinds yesterday since we’re visiting the in-laws who live ten minutes away. Before going I was confused as to why this event was even a thing and after going I’m infini

I really need parks to get their act together by next season. We're clearly still going to be operating in a very covid positive world, but many parks seem to be doing a good job...just copy those!

Posted Images

Thanks! You were exactly right. Pretty easy system! Also, finally got my first ride on Electro Spin. I gotta say that's a pretty fun flat. Much better than I anticipated and less dizzying than what I feared it could be.

So I know Carowinds is only open until 5 this upcoming Saturday, but this would be the first and only chance I've had to make it there, and the only chance until who knows when (at least 2 years), how insanely busy does everyone think that the park will be this weekend? The main piece of advice that I've heard about the park is ride intimidator before Fury 325.

I know the park is open longer on Sunday but unfortunately that is not an option for me on this trip down south.

how insanely busy does everyone think that the park will be this weekend?

If you are going to the park during the day you will have station-waits and walk-ons on nearly every ride in the park.

Nighthawk and Ricochet being the main exceptions.

how insanely busy does everyone think that the park will be this weekend?

If you are going to the park during the day you will have station-waits and walk-ons on nearly every ride in the park.

Nighthawk and Ricochet being the main exceptions.

Thank you very much. Station waits are no problem at all. First non Dorney, Hershey, or Waldameer park in like 10 years (odd as that seems to me) I'm very much looking forward to it.

So I know Carowinds is only open until 5 this upcoming Saturday, but this would be the first and only chance I've had to make it there, and the only chance until who knows when (at least 2 years), how insanely busy does everyone think that the park will be this weekend? The main piece of advice that I've heard about the park is ride intimidator before Fury 325.

I know the park is open longer on Sunday but unfortunately that is not an option for me on this trip down south.

Yes Scarowinds starts this weekends so the park closes at 5pm for 2hrs and reopens for the Halloween event at 7pm to 12am to enjy night rides and the added haunted mazes and scare zones. They are to separate gated prices unless you have a season pass of course.

If you want to do Nighthawk, hit that first, before the line becomes the only significant wait in the park, and then hit Intimidator. After that, I'd go to the back, and do Afterburn, and anything else back there you'd like to ride. After that, just work your way back towards Fury, riding whatever else you're interested in, and then marathon Fury with the rest of your time there! Oh, and despite what coasterbill says, AVOID VORTEX AT ALL COSTS!!! Your body will thank you!

If you want to do Nighthawk, hit that first, before the line becomes the only significant wait in the park, and then hit Intimidator. After that, I'd go to the back, and do Afterburn, and anything else back there you'd like to ride. After that, just work your way back towards Fury, riding whatever else you're interested in, and then marathon Fury with the rest of your time there! Oh, and despite what coasterbill says, AVOID VORTEX AT ALL COSTS!!! Your body will thank you!

I'll see how my body feels that day after driving 10 hours to SC to see if I think I can manage a ride on Vortex. I've only ridden 2 stand up coasters, Mantis (which was uncomfortable) and Shockwave back in the 90s (which was just unpleasant). I'll try to make Nighthawk my first ride just to get it out of the way, last flying dutchman style coaster that I was on was X-Flight at Geagua Lake, they seem similar. I'm interested to see how I feel about those now that I'm not a teenager anymore.

I'd like to get on all of the coasters but the main goal is to make sure I get a few rides on Fury and Afterburn because they just look great.

• 2 weeks later...

Dollywood and Silver Dollar City run every ride (aside from water rides). I believe the same is true for Sea World San Antonio.

Aside from those parks though, Six Flags is miles ahead of everyone else when it comes to running coasters in the winter (and nobody's really all that impressed that a park is running coasters in the winter in San Antonio so that barely counts anyway). Obviously the further north you go, the more closed coasters you'll encounter per park but in every case Six Flags is dominating the other parks in the region when it comes to their Christmas coaster offerings. Cedar Fair is ridiculous conservative in that area.

Just for perspective, Carowinds is running 2 adult coasters and they live in a region where the average temperatures are in the 50's and 60's through the duration of the event. Six Flags New England is running twice as many adult coasters this winter as Carowinds... in Massachusetts, where the average high temperatures are in the low 30's by the end of the event, almost 10 degrees below most park's start up temperatures for a B&M and I can already assure you that they will not give a single sh*t.

So is this the first B&M CF has announced would be open for a winter event? If so, that's promising.

*waves at Dominator*

Well technically Patriot at WOF was announced for WinterFest, but was replaced with Prowler recently. Also, CGA runs Flight Deck and I believe Knott’s runs Silver Bullet.

So is this the first B&M CF has announced would be open for a winter event? If so, that's promising.

*waves at Dominator*

Well technically Patriot at WOF was announced for WinterFest, but was replaced with Prowler recently. Also, CGA runs Flight Deck and I believe Knott’s runs Silver Bullet.

Well, Knott’s doesn’t really count since it runs all year, every day. But you’re right about CGA.

The Winterfest ride list is out.

... god I love Six Flags Great Adventure.

Ditto. Is there another (seasonal) park that has a better ride list for its holiday celebration? Dollywood is the only other park I can think of that comes close.

The last two years I believe SFOG has had everything minus SUF, GASM, Blue Hawk, and Skyscreamer running.

It will be interesting to see how many people will still come to these with such limited rides being available.

*waves at Dominator*

Well, Knott’s doesn’t really count since it runs all year, every day. But you’re right about CGA.

Yeah, but even CGA is in a market where the Six Flags park an hour north of them is fully open year-round. I don't understand why that park is seasonal at all and as it keeps expanding I wouldn't be surprised if that changes.

^I agree. I’m sure year-round operation is squeezed into their master plan somewhere. It is the only major park in California that is still seasonal.

As for Carowinds, does it ever get REALLY cold in North/South Carolina? Does anyone think they could ever get away with year-round operation? Just a thought.

Does anyone think they could ever get away with year-round operation? Just a thought.

It's debatable. It rarely gets THAT cold there, especially assuming that if they were open after Wintefest they'd probably have short hours of 10 to 5, 10 to 6 or something similar and would be closed before the sun went down. Once every few years they get a dusting of snow and lose their sh*t over it but it's really not that cold aside from a few odd days.

My concern would be that without a gimmick to get people through the gates in January, February and early March they might struggle. I lived in the area for about 6 months and have spent a lot of time there, I never thought it was cold, but the locals felt differently.

Personally I'd much rather walk around Carowinds on a typical sunny 45 to 55 degree January day than a typical 95 to 100 degree, ridiculously humid July or August day but I don't claim to speak for everyone.

^I agree. I’m sure year-round operation is squeezed into their master plan somewhere. It is the only major park in California that is still seasonal.

As for Carowinds, does it ever get REALLY cold in North/South Carolina? Does anyone think they could ever get away with year-round operation? Just a thought.

The weather in NC always seems to swing around a lot. The average high for December is 51 F, but it varies widely. One day you will have a high of 35 F, then the next day they high will be at 80 F. It can feel very bizarre. The lowest I have seen things go is ~7 F but that was once over 5 years. To answer the question of year round operations, I don't think they could get away with it. The months of January through early March feel more like winter than not, and I can see most people not wanting to go to the park.

Having lived in Charlotte the first 28/29 years of my life, I can say that the weather is very indecisive between Thanksgiving and Spring. Some days will be quite summer-like in the upper 70s and others will struggle to get out of the mid 30s. Late January into February tends to get the coldest in terms of sticking around over a period of time. The occasional snow & or Ice, or even threat of such a thing, causes the entire area to go nuts since well...it only happens maybe once a year, with some years several times. They don't know how to deal...lol

I've had Christmases there that were almost a "White Christmas" and others that were in the mid 60s and ready to put shorts on. With the uncertainty and randomness of the weather over their normal off season time, I can see it difficult in trying to come up with a year-round schedule that would be consistent and profitable. That doesn't include staffing it. I don't know too many people who are willing to work in that extreme of weather-permitting operation. As much as I would have enjoyed having it open year-round when I still lived there, the idea of riding most of the rides in 40 degree weather isn't appealing to most people that have grown up in the south. Remember that this park relies heavily on locals...not tourists. I could see them going to weekends only schedule if they decided to extend to "year-round". It would be easier than trying to do every day.