TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Welcome to insanity, welcome to the longest off-season ever.

I'll typically say lets enjoy this season before speculating about the future additions to the park. But I think that carries more weight than ever now. Lets worry about 2020 happening before we start speculating on rides that probably won't happen ever. Or if they do, probably not till 2023 at the earliest as companies try to recover from a possible lost season.

I wonder if carowinds will add a dry water ride like this? I know that many of you think that dry water rides are really not needed in theme parks anymore but I have to disagree. I still think their are many people out their that still would love to go on dry water rides. Like why are we seeing Mystic River Falls being built at Silver Dollar City even though it won’t be opening anytime soon due to the virus. But many people still like these rides especially in southern states where it gets extremely hot. I personally think the coaster/water ride hybrid is a good idea and they should start cloning in other parks in the USA. We are seeing dry water rides excel in other international parks overseas not so much in the USA.

Carowinds just got a Launched coaster in Copperhead Strike. No need for a second. Why not convert Vortex to a floorless, convert Hurler to a RMC, get a good GCI or Gravity Group wooden coaster. A launched coaster is the last thing they need at this point.

I wonder if carowinds will add a dry water ride like this?

I think Disney Texas will get one first.

Why not convert Vortex to a floorless, convert Hurler to a RMC, get a good GCI or Gravity Group wooden coaster.

Any or all of these options would be great. And/or a Railblazer/WW clone or a 4D Free Spin.

Since all parks are closed and we really have nothing better to do, I may as well speculate too. Carowinds is a fun park to speculate because Cedar Fair has invested greatly in this park, and you can likely count on new additions pretty frequently.

I really think Carowinds' next coaster addition should be a GCI along the lines of Mystic Timbers. Neither Kings Dominion nor SFOG have modern wooden coasters, so it would be a nice fit for the park and the surrounding area. It can definitely be different than Thunderhead and Lightning Rod (and Dollywood as a whole is just WAY different than Carowinds).

RMC Hurler would also be cool, but Carowinds is surrounded by parks with awesome RMC coasters: SFOG, KD, and Dollywood. Of course it is still possible and that doesn't really mean anything, but I imagine it would have to stand out from the rest. I also think a B&M Dive could work really well.

In terms of removals, I don't think Nighthawk has many years left. I am actually surprised it outlived Firehawk given that it is the prototype model and is one year older. I also think Vortex will either get removed or Floorless-ified in the next couple years. Both of those coasters leaving could open up a lot of space in the center/front of the park. Who knows...

• 4 weeks later...

Great news! I am not much of a water park person, but I am very glad we decided to stop by Carolina Harbor when we were at Carowinds last June. Aside from the cool views of Copperhead Strike, it is HUGE (compared to my home Knott's Soak City) and my sisters and I had a blast. A giant mat racer is the perfect fit.

Hopefully guests can ride it this summer...

Oh, that looks super sweet. Mat racers are my daughter's favorite type of waterslide, so I'm sure she'll be really happy once we get back down there. Hopefully the next time around we'll actually be able to carve out some time for the waterpark portion of Carowinds, since last time we got hit hard by rain during our trip -- we ended up making the drive up to Great Wolf Lodge that day instead and getting some daypasses there, which was fine, but obviously not what we were hoping for.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an interesting interview with Pat Jones, the VP of Carowinds. The main takeaway is this part where she discusses her desire to make the park a year-round park.

In November, Carowinds extended its season for three weekends. “Peanuts Celebration”—rooted in Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and the rest of the “Peanuts” characters—utilizes the existing Camp Snoopy children’s area and the entire park.

“We want to be the entertainment choice for all seasons,” Jones says, hinting a year-round operation for Carowinds is plausible. “One of my longer-term goals—if I get a chance to rule that part of the world—we would go year-round because it would make a lot of things easier.”

A year-round operation schedule would limit the need for post-season teardown or preopening prep. Yet, Jones concedes winter weather, ride maintenance, and adding heat to existing infrastructure are all concerns.

Step one would be not closing the park for cold weather when it's 55 degrees and Fury not having a startup temperature of approximately 107 degrees while the rest of us laugh from the Nitro and Raging Bull queues in December.

Edited by coasterbill

I'm still hoping we get an announcement of when they will reopen and what restrictions might be.

we're still planning on going in late July, but we haven't purchased tix yet, as getting them from the on-site Hotel. I'm waiting for the dates, before I call the hotel to confirm there won't be any issues - you know - actually getting into the park, as we're staying "on site".

not complaining, just explaining. . .LOL. . . eagerly waiting for dates to be announced!

Here's an interesting interview with Pat Jones, the VP of Carowinds. The main takeaway is this part where she discusses her desire to make the park a year-round park.

Step one would be not closing the park for cold weather when it's 55 degrees and Fury not having a startup temperature of approximately 107 degrees while the rest of us laugh from the Nitro and Raging Bull queues in December.

Totally agree. I'd love to see Carowinds be the Knott's Berry Farm of the East Coast!

The South Carolina side of the park is gonna open today at 3pm, North Carolina side will remain closed until late August. Intimadator, Afterburn, and Copperhead Strike are all a go but for Fury you have to board the train while it's moving after the first turn then get off before it crosses back over the entry plaza.....

The South Carolina side of the park is gonna open today at 3pm, North Carolina side will remain closed until late August. Intimadator, Afterburn, and Copperhead Strike are all a go but for Fury you have to board the train while it's moving after the first turn then get off before it crosses back over the entry plaza.....

I’m not afraid of a challenge.

Awesome.

I have seen some articles saying July 27th, but I have seen other articles like this one (updated today), that say June 29th. So not sure what to believe at this point. Kind of challenging when both NC and SC have to give the green light.

I'm pretty sure they only need NC clearance given the fact the park is technically located in Charlotte.

I have seen some articles saying July 27th, but I have seen other articles like this one (updated today), that say June 29th. So not sure what to believe at this point. Kind of challenging when both NC and SC have to give the green light.

I'm pretty sure they only need NC clearance given the fact the park is technically located in Charlotte.

And your assumption is wrong. The rides that operate on the SC side are inspected by SC, and the food, beverage, restrooms, etc, on the SC side are inspected by the York County (SC) Health Department. Tne NC side is the same, whereas those rides are inspected by the NC, and other facilities inspected by the Mecklenburg County Health Department. There are many ordinances (including those concerning liquor/beer) that vary depending on which side of the state line you're on at the time. So, no, they need both sides to approve their opening to open at all.

With that said, SC has given the go ahead for parks to open, so they are just now waiting on NC to approve a date for them, which would then start the certification process to get them open for the season.

• 1 month later...

No surprise here, but Carowinds just announced they will not open in 2020.

https://www.carowinds.com/park-update

August 4, 2020 Update

Today, Carowinds announced that it would remain closed for the rest of 2020 due to the ongoing challenges related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The safety of our guests and associates is always our top priority. Although we have done our due diligence in developing a comprehensive safety plan in accordance with industry and public health standards, the continued uncertainty in our region surrounding COVID-19 as well as the diminishing number of calendar days left in the 2020 operating season, has brought us to the difficult decision to keep the park closed for the rest of the year.

As you know, we previously extended 2020 Season Passes and add-on products to be valid through 2021. To further show our commitment and appreciation, all 2020 Season Passholders will now also receive a Pass Perks™ Loyalty Reward valid for purchases within the park next season. Day tickets sold for the 2020 season will be valid through September 6, 2021. Finally, any Pre-K Passes that were registered for the 2020 season will also be valid through 2021. Affected guests will receive an email with relevant details. Season Passes for 2021 will go on sale beginning September 8, 2020.

As we look forward to brighter days ahead, Carowinds will continue to work with public health authorities to ensure that our guests and associates can return to fun in a safe environment next season. We are planning a great 2021 with rides, attractions, and entertainment for the whole family, including:

Boogie Board Racer, the longest mat racing slide in the Southeast, opening next summer at Carolina Harbor waterpark;

And, the debut of Grand Carnivale, a nighttime international festival and street party celebrating global culture in grand scale.

We thank our guests and associates for their continued loyalty and support during this challenging time, and we look forward to seeing you at the park in 2021.