TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Thanks everyone for posting your reviews and pictures!

I think Raging Bull is a better Hyper/Giga from B&M

This is the only surprising comment I have read so far. I assume it's been a while since you last rode Raging Bull

With the exception of Banshee I know what to expect from B&M. Fun, but not thrilling coasters. I think Fury 325 looks like a lot of fun and I can't wait to ride it someday. I love airtime machines as much as the next guy, but it doesn't bother me that Fury 325 is more about speed. I also love speed machines like Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster. I know I'm going to like Fury 325 and I don't care if it doesn't end up in my top ten. I consider myself a jaded enthusiast and I enjoyed Disaster Transport for what it was.

For those who have ridden Steel Dragon 2000, how does it compare to Fury 325?

The reviews have ranged from it being a fun ride to an amazing ride. All positive. There needs to be no drama here. Go out to Carowinds and enjoy the new ride. Just because not all of the reviews are giving the ride an A+++, doesn't mean the ride is a disappointment.

Yup, exactly. Not sure why we need to keep saying this over and over again, but I'm assuming it's because humanity is just becoming more and more dumb and obnoxious, and unfortunately many of those people now post to our forums. We've already have a few of them weed themselves out over this discussion (a huge plus for the forum, IMO), and hopefully a few more will weed themselves out in the process.

Once again, I will repeat myself...

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.

To me, and it seems many others share the same opinion, Fury looks like a more complete, more "developed" version of Leviathan, if you will. I'd be really interested to see how B&M further evolves their giga coaster model in potential future projects.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the above posts. Fury looks like an insanely "fun" ride; it may not be (and certainly isn't) another I-305 or Maverick, but it doesn't need to be. Enjoy the ride for what it is, don't complain about what it isn't. It's all in good fun to compare and rank coasters, but at the end of the day, it's a roller coaster. Just ride it and appreciate that it was built; it doesn't need to be the best OMFG insane coaster to be enjoyed.

Fury 325 looks like a great addition to Carowinds. I hope I can make it down south to ride it someday, it looks like it would be near the top of my list. The first drop looks incredible, and I love the funky curve before the drop into the tunnel.

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.

Well said, Robb. I'm never going to figure out why a lot of folks think "if it isn't a top ten ride, it's garbage." As long as a coaster succeeds in putting a smile on my face, I think it has done it's job, and it sounds like Fury 325 will do just that when I eventually ride it.

There was that initial tweet that gave a neutral, but not derogatory review, and a few people ran with it to take the opportunity to bash the coaster. Then there were those who overreacted to that.

Outside the shenanigans, the general consensus seems neutral-positive. Anyone who thought this coaster would be a game-changer for B&M was a victim of wishful thinking. It seems to deliver what their previous speed coasters do, just more of it - and that's peachy keen to me. Several of my top 10 are B&M speed coasters, but did I expect it to wow anyone with a top 10 comprised exclusively of envelope-pushing rides the world over? Nope. Those folks know what they want out of a coaster, and if a coaster doesn't deliver for them, that's their prerogative. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment one bit, nor does it change the fact that this coaster represents good progression from Leviathan with some interesting elements and a more complete ride experience. Like it or not, B&M has gigas on lock for the foreseeable future, and with good reason.

I meant to chime in earlier but I don't even want to hear that s**t about removing Thunder Road. It's running better than ever and I bet they can figure out a way to expand the water park without tearing it down. Just spruce up that County Fair area for 2016. Maybe add a flat?

There was that initial tweet that gave a neutral, but not derogatory review, and a few people ran with it to take the opportunity to bash the coaster. Then there were those who overreacted to that.

Exactly. It was one review. People went nuts over it. I asked people to tweet or send us their reviews and that was one that came in. Had I been tweeted a positive, glowing, ejaculating milk cartons review, I would have posted that, too.

Shame on me I guess for legit reporting what seasoned riders had to say about the ride?

I had the opportunity to ride Fury yesterday during the media day and I will say that the ride does definitely improve the park's ride selection and skyline; I think it will really appeal to the public, which is great for park attendance, revenues, and future investment. That said, did this coaster blow me away? In all honesty, no. Fury is fun and fast, but like Derek mentioned, I would put it in my B-class of coasters, and my count is about half of his. I admittedly found myself a bit underwhelmed, which is not to say it isn't a good coaster. In fact, Fury is a both a solid coaster and addition to Carowinds. In any case, I hope Fury will generate some really positive effects for years to come, which can only be good for the park and the industry.

I'm sold on this coaster at the front of the park. Leviathan makes you stop and stare in awe when walking up to CW's entrance and this sure looks like it accomplishes something very similar, if not as right in your face as Leviathan's hammerhead. The only nitpick is the "standard Cedar Fair design" of the entrance and well, all of their structures, still doesn't really inspire a warm welcome with a ton of fun or wonder in store. If they're looking for non-offending, clean, safe, generic in a new college dorm or government building kinda way--I think they've nailed it. I'm glad that CW kept its own design language,even after Cedar Fair took over in that sense.

Regardless, the entrance is all about that coaster and it looks fantastic. The one thing I've always loved about B&M coasters is how great they look. With Leviathan at least, B&M did a great job with their take on a Millennium Force style speed coaster, which is still in my top five and why I think I'll really enjoy Fury. It'll be cool to see what the high speed turns instead of the giant camelback heading out will be like in comparison to Leviathan. I won't compare from the Helix on Fury since Leviathan ends at that point on a bridge over Dragon Fire and Go Karts to get back to the station. I agree that the the extra track (and $5MM) on Fury makes it look like a much more complete finish.

I'm really looking forward to trying this out, hopefully with KerryB in the coming weeks.

Decided to join to give my 2 cents

I just got back from my media day, and business, trip (was lucky to visit a nearby office the week before). Personally, the ride might be my #2 steel coaster. I was able to ride the coaster early, and later in the afternoon. Once the ride warmed up, it really had some great airtime. I would classify this airtime as "very strong floater". If you have ridden Leviathan, you will know exactly what kind of airtime to expect.

For ranking this as a "seasoned" or "non seasoned" or rider, my count is 514...whether that is a lot, or a little, I will leave it up to you. I only count up to 5 clones on my list like Wacky Worms, Boomerangs, SLCs, etc.

I was always a long B&M hater. I didn't like any of their coasters built after the early 2000's. I thought all of their hyper coasters were very forceless with no airtime. I felt this way for a long time...all the way until I rode Leviathan. For those that have ridden Leviathan, you will know how un-characteristically B&M this coaster is. There are strong forces all over the ride. I can tell you this, if you liked Leviathan, you will love this coaster! I was originally disappointed that this coaster wasn't going to feature that crazy "hop" Leviathan has, but I didn't care in the end.

Looks are also deceiving. When you watch the POV, it looks as if the ride is going slow through gentle transitions. The important thing to remember is that this ride is 300+ feet, going 90+ MPH. When you are going that fast, everything will be proportionally larger. So while it looks like you are "crawling" through that last little helix on the ride, you are flying at 50-60mph, pulling a few G's.

For those saying this coaster is "boring", "force less", or a "mine train in the middle seats"...you must be REALLY salty about B&M in order to let yourself have such a bad experience on the ride. I can't tell you that you are wrong, but if you are able to have such a negative experience about something so exciting, you are definitely in the wrong hobby.

For those saying this coaster is "boring", "force less", or a "mine train in the middle seats"...you must be REALLY salty about B&M in order to let yourself have such a bad experience on the ride. I can't tell you that you are wrong, but if you are able to have such a negative experience about something so exciting, you are definitely in the wrong hobby.

This is what annoys me to no end. It's one thing to have your own opinion but why do you feel you are entitled to berate others for their opinions? If anything, to me that discredits anything you have to say. FFS people stop with the annoying back and forth drama. Isn't just posting your opinion enough with out having to be obnoxious towards other people?

If you think making disparaging comments towards other people's thoughts is a way to get someone to believe your opinion over theirs, that's where you're wrong.

SMH

Edited by robbalvey

This is what annoys me to no end. It's one thing to have your own opinion but why do you feel you are entitled to berate others for their opinions? If anything, to me that discredits anything you have to say. FFS people stop with the annoying back and forth drama. Isn't just posting your opinion enough with out having to be obnoxious towards other people?

If you think making disparaging comments towards other people's thoughts is a way to get someone to believe your opinion over theirs, that's where you're wrong.

SMH

Not to mention, NO ONE has said the ride is "boring' or "forceless" that has ridden the ride. Quit making up stuff, to try and prove your opinion.