TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I have never waited for any coaster (besides Nighthawk, of course) for longer than 15 or 20 minutes on a weekday at Carowinds so this will be really interesting to see how much busier the park will be with FURY.

Also, I got to ride it at media day. It is easily my new #1 coaster. Amazing in every way.

Here we are riding FURY 325... I lost my lanyard and at 1:48, you can see someone lose their phone (watch in HD)

And here we are riding Slingshot...

I had the pleasure to ride this coaster on media day. All I have to say is WOW. Everything from the drop to the speed to the turnaround to the airtime is nothing short of amazing. B&M has once again shown why they are the best of the best when it comes to steel roller coasters. Fury 325 is definitely my new #1. If you haven't had a chance to ride it you are definitely missing out. Here are some pics I took:

Of course, after I posted, some fantastic up close shots were shared and I think I can happily take back most of what I said. From far away, it looked more like Cedar Point's new entrance. The up close shots show that Carowind's looks nicer. Looking forward to seeing it in person. More importantly, I can't wait to try out both Intimidator and Fury 325 for the first time.

To everyone there this weekend, have a great time!

The only nitpick is the "standard Cedar Fair design" of the entrance and well, all of their structures, still doesn't really inspire a warm welcome with a ton of fun or wonder in store. If they're looking for non-offending, clean, safe, generic in a new college dorm or government building kinda way--I think they've nailed it.

I honestly think that's exactly what they are going for. Call me boring, but I actually prefer it, which is why I enjoy Cedar Fair parks.

Yes, it appears that the chain is going for a more "uniform" look to their park entrances. Personally, I wouldn't mind if Kings Dominion's entrance was redone someday (it's stuck in the 1970s), and Kings Island's entrance is just "blah."

That and Dorney Park is screaming early 90s. I do love the use of roller coasters in the new entrances... Looking at the other parks, I get giddy with excitement thinking about what could be in store for the other parks...

Has anyone gotten any good nighttime cottage nofnthentunnel yet? There is nothing on YouTube and I'm dieing to see those lights in action, that's not on the webcam!

Fury was fantastic, but it also had a major downside for me. After riding Fury, I went over to ride i232 before lunch. Now I know they are two different coasters and that they probably shouldn't be compared, but i232 was almost boring compared to Fury. Both are still great rides, but I can't see myself riding Intimidator much any more.

Does anyone have a clue what kind of crowds the park gets on weekdays during spring break (April 6-9)?

I'm curious to see how the 3 train operation is going. They have more time to load than Leviathan, but there are also seatbelts now. I heard someone mention assigned seating?

In the past it hasn't been too crazy; at least not like summer peak. This year that could change as the park looks to be having it's best opening day ever. It will greatly depend on the weather there. If there is a high chance of rain it won't be as busy, but still should have decent crowds.

The 3 train operation is going great just from watching the webcams. They have been almost consistently dispatching a train and it be halfway up the lift while the one in front is exiting the helix and 3rd train loading in the station. The seat belts don't seem to be hurting dispatch times and there is assigned seating (same on Intimidator and Afterburn from other sources). On slower days they may be a little more relaxed.

Fury is really fun. Airtime in front and back is pretty strong, not maverick or i305 strong, but better than the other B&ms. Twists and turns are nice and quick, they will throw you around a bit. Fast lane was a must today, stand by was almost 2 hours. Too bad the park closes at 8 tonight!

^

The colder weather is probably what pushed some people away (the high in Charlotte today was only 50 degrees). I think Fury 325 will have its longest lines this summer because if you're the typical visitor that goes to the park once a year, why wouldn't you wait until a warmer day to go?

I haven't checked this thread in a long time, and after skimming through the comments, the past 20 pages or so of this thread are just unbelievable. There's so many ideas I'd like to get across, but I'll get straight to the point. I feel so sorry for the people who found Fury 325 to be "semi-thrilling" or " mild". If I ever get off a giga coaster and think to myself "that was pretty tame", that will be the day I stop riding roller coasters altogether, because if you can't appreciate a $25 million giga coaster, then coasters have no point anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy airtime as much as anyone else, but calling a giga coaster that's incredibly fast, smooth, rerideable, and well-paced "mild" just because it doesn't make you grey out or crush your thighs on its bunny hills is just plain ridiculous. Just my two cents.

because if you can't appreciate a $25 million giga coaster, then coasters have no point anymore.

I can appreciate it, but it just may not suit my taste. My last visit to Carowinds (2011) I rode the new Intimidator one time. The line was short, but the experience was so close to what I've experienced on every B&M speed coaster I've been on. The Arrow mine train was very unique and fun, we spent plenty of time on that!

Raging Bull at my home park is more appealing to me, even with the trims (and the first drop is the wildest of any B&M I've been on.) But I'd rather spend my time on Whizzer, Demon and American Eagle.

Same situation on my last visit to SFOG. My friends wanted to ride Goliath, so I rode it with them once. Great ride, I'm glad people love it! I spent most of my time on the super unique Mind Bender. It's just a taste thing. I'm glad the big B&M's are there and appreciate that the majority of the people who ride find them outstanding... my preference is for more unique and classic stuff.

It would be boring if we all liked the same stuff. Plus, we wouldn't have much to argue about

I feel so sorry for the people who found Fury 325 to be "semi-thrilling" or " mild". If I ever get off a giga coaster and think to myself "that was pretty tame", that will be the day I stop riding roller coasters altogether, because if you can't appreciate a $25 million giga coaster, then coasters have no point anymore.

Oh boy.

The people who aren't madly in love with Fury 325 still think it's a great addition for the park. Nobody has said it's a bad ride, and nobody is saying that it somehow ruins the hobby for them. They simply have different things they are looking for in a ride (ejector air and quick transitions vs. lots of sustained speed and floater air, for example). Unfortunately, some people seem incredibly defensive over this ride, and that,if anything, is more likely to make the hobby less enjoyable.

Nobody is trash-talking Fury. If it's not their favorite thing, that's fine. It doesn't cater to them specifically, nor is it meant to. This ride turned out how the park wanted it to, and that makes it a success that nobody in the enthusiast community is denying. I'm happy for Carowinds - I think this has really taken them to the next level, and I can fully appreciate it in that sense, even if I think I305 or Maverick is more fun for me personally.

Look at it this way - Most of the people giving it "standard B&M" reviews likely guessed that's what it would be from the day the layout was released, and they still journeyed out to Carowinds to go ride it. As long as they don't cause pain, almost all coasters are fun and worth riding to me, even though I prefer the more intense, limit-pushing stuff.

Fury looks like a great ride and the idea of the new entrance is really appealing, but oh my god the execution of it looks AWFUL. I really hope it's not finished. So bland. Its like they had already designed CPs new entrance so they were like "well that looks kinda decent there so maybe itll look ok there."

We made the drive down from NY yesterday and had a great day. I had moderate expectations for the ride... I figured it would be a lot of fun but not mind blowing and not a top 5 ride but actually this thing blew my expectations out of the water. The speed is relentless, the airtime is probably the strongest I've ever seen on a B&M and out of almost 250 coasters this is easily a top 5 ride... Probably falling right behind Millennium Force, El Toro, Phoenix and Maverick.

Everyone needs to come out and ride this thing.

Oh... and Afterburn, wow! I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite invert but it's right up there with Raptor and Montu... just a little shorter. I love that 90's B&M snappiness.

I've been hearing that Mike Fehnel was interviewed by a local news channel yesterday, and he said "Cedar Fair officials hope to make Carowinds a roller coaster mecca". If he means it, then that is great news for the park. Carowinds definitely has the potential to be another coaster mecca, and it could mean that Cedar Fair might be dropping the mentality of "Everyone must bow down to Cedar Point". Should be interesting to see what this actually means.

I've been hearing that Mike Fehnel was interviewed by a local news channel yesterday, and he said "Cedar Fair officials hope to make Carowinds a roller coaster mecca". If he means it, then that is great news for the park. Carowinds definitely has the potential to be another coaster mecca, and it could mean that Cedar Fair might be dropping the mentality of "Everyone must bow down to Cedar Point". Should be interesting to see what this actually means.

Well, That was evident with Fury 325 being, well, 325 feet! Now, cedar point will always be the park in the chain...its now under the leadership of folks who see potential outside of cedar point and willing to expand and develop and put record breaking rides elsewhere.

^I never put much stock in PR hyperbole.

Knowing Mike, this isn't just PR garble. I mean, they are only trailing SFMM, CP and CW so technically they can already be considered a Coaster mecca.

Had a great time yesterday, easily the best time I've ever had at Carowinds. We enjoyed ourselves last year, but at the end of the day we weren't even ready to leave.

The new food was great, we ate at Harmony Hall for lunch and grabbed some fries and nachos at Chickies and Petes before taking two last rides on Fury. We ate at Harmony Hall last year as well, but the food was better this time around. Also, we caught a live performance this time, which was very fun. Both times eating there last year, all we had were football games, ugh.

Fury is something else, doesn't even compare to any other hyper B&M has ever built. The only part of the ride I would consider drawn out/boring (barely so, it's rather insignificant... just being critical) is the transition from the over bank into the first airtime hill. You just kind of glide at an insignificant angle for a few moments. A double down element could have been much more exciting, but it is what it is. The helix rides better than it looks, not terribly forceful, but it isn't boring. The rest of the ride is very fast, and it really throws you around a good bit. The twist at the top of the "S curve" really throws you out of your seat (left side of the train, in particular). It's a short pop of airtime that shouldn't even exist, I love it, really took me by surprise on my first ride. The dive into the tunnel is fun too, but not my favorite moment. Now the airtime hills, the first and last rows are the best here. Not as strong as Maverick, i305 etc, but it's the strongest in the park. Again, I was pretty surprised by it. If you're sitting near the middle, the airtime isn't awesome- similar to the "good" airtime moments on the last row of intimidator. Got 10 rides yesterday, all over the train. Seats 1-4, and 8-4 are the best. I'm still ranking it behind i305, but before MF and Maverick (maybe that will change with those new restraints?). B&M really outdid themselves, great, great ride.

On a side note, Thunder Road was a huge disappointment this season. Only two seasons since the refurb and the whole ride was running rough. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't be able to tell you where the new track ended and the old started. Bummer, this ride was great the past 2 seasons.

Excited to see what the future hold for Carowinds, can't wait to make it back out to the park!