TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I don't mean to fuel the fire or anything, because that's not what I'm trying to do, but I didn't really expect Fury to be an airtime machine. They already have a ride in the park that has airtime, and lots of it. Fury is meant to be intense and twisty. Though the ride seems to have brilliant airtime in many spots based off the rider cams, it's obviously not about that for this ride. I am still very impressed with this ride, and its a great addition to Carowinds, or would be for any park that doesn't have a giga!

Damn so much drama over a coaster, this is just nuts. I would love to ride this thing because it looks fun and that's what it's all about isn't it? A lot of people dog on it's cousin Leviathan, but I'm here to tell you that ride is a lot of freaking fun. It was my first giga coaster and it did not diasappoint. I didn't over analize it, study it or measure it or calculate it. I got on, hung on and had one hell of a fun ride on it. I think others would enjoy these rides too if they would just get on with the plan to just have FUN!

I'm mad, very mad. Stupid ride and stupid tpr how dare you not pick me to win some of the Fury stuff .

Seriously though i enjoyed yesterday. Slow day at work and the media day posts all over social media kept me entertained, and for that I thank you!

Damn so much drama over a coaster, this is just nuts. I would love to ride this thing because it looks fun and that's what it's all about isn't it? A lot of people dog on it's cousin Leviathan, but I'm here to tell you that ride is a lot of freaking fun. It was my first giga coaster and it did not diasappoint. I didn't over analize it, study it or measure it or calculate it. I got on, hung on and had one hell of a fun ride on it. I think others would enjoy these rides too if they would just get on with the plan to just have FUN!

Drama over a coaster? The hell you say?

I agree that all rides should meet this overall criterion: Is it any fun at all? If Fury 325 meets this standard, I'll be quite satisfied.

I don't mean to fuel the fire or anything, because that's not what I'm trying to do, but I didn't really expect Fury to be an airtime machine.

Again, I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Those that weren't blown away by the ride weren't blown away because it wasn't an airtime machine, it was because the ride just didn't blow them away. And once again, let me just re-post what I said a few pages ago because clearly people aren't reading (It's a rare thing these days, I know...)

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.

There is nothing wrong with a ride that brings in millions of dollars because it's a high profile ride with the locals, however might not score an A+ with all "enthusiasts." The two things do not always go hand in hand. Do I wish they did? Absolutely. But it's interesting how a park can build a $10 million RMC that will blow some enthusiasts away, yet a giant $25 million ride will underwhelm others.

The most important thing about Fury 325 is if the public loves it, embraces it, and brings buckets of cash to ride it. And if they do, then it's a success.

This has basically been my thoughts all along, but I still like to get a feel for new rides based on the experiences of others. I wish we had a way to really discuss rides critically here without the discussion devolving like it always does. Someone always turns even the slightest negative reaction into an affront against all coasterdom. We need to understand that a critical discussion of a ride's plusses and minuses does not equal disparagement. Like you said in your other post, not ranking a ride #1 doesn't imply any kind of hate toward it.

I mean, I will ride anything that has a car attached to rails, but at the same time I like to know where to set my priorities time and money wise. So a seasoned enthusiast perspective is very helpful.

I guess my advice to everyone is to phrase your criticism in a way that lets everyone know where you are coming from, instead of firing off quick comments about the most critical things you found about a ride. And definitely don't take offense to anything on a coaster board.

Some people here seems to be delusional, there is no huge backlash against Fury, some people thought it was just fun, not amazing. This is a discussion forum, a little debate about a very hyped coaster isn't the same as a flame war.

Perhaps I'm not as jaded when it comes to coasters as others because Fury 325 looks like a whole lot of terrifying high speed fun to me. So much so, I'm flying out to South Carolina this summer to visit my sister and we're driving straight to Carowinds to ride it. I can't wait.

I think the mix of reactions is expected based on the manufacturer and coaster type. Nobody should be surprised by this. Other than Banshee it's been a long time since an American B&M coaster wasn't received similarly... everyone likes the ride but how much they love the ride ranges from "best ride ever" to "fun but forceless".

Enthusiasts as a whole can't make up their mind though. On one hand people complain that new B&M's are forceless but you see a ton of complains about how older B&M's that are snappy and awesome are rough. I've seen people call Raptor, Kumba, Alpengeist and a ton of other rides rough (which they're not, they're awesome) and people (enthusiasts or otherwise) that feel that way are probably part of the reason why B&M has gone soft. Same goes for people who don't like greying out on I305 or the straps on Maverick... if you complain about those then don't complain when B&M makes forceless rides. Make up your mind.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.

Thank you!! Very well said, and this is one of the reasons I gravitated to TPR in the first place. This hobby should be FUN, dang it! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I mean, I have a Top 10/20 like everyone else, but I think if more people just, as you said, rode the rides for what they are, they'd enjoy this a lot more, instead of obsessing over why Joe Schmo doesn't have ______ coaster ranked exactly where they do personally. Your favorites are your favorites, and someone else's are someone else's. I'll reiterate what I said earlier in this thread.....

Some people will love certain rides, and others will feel they are "meh". My point is, who cares?? Go ride what you want to ride, throw your hands up, laugh, and have FUN!! Isn't that what this hobby should be all about anyway??

Now, to figure out when I can sneak a trip to Carowinds in hopefully this season! By the way, THANK YOU to TPR (and in particular Eric and Derek who attended the event yesterday) for the outstanding Fury coverage!! Loved all the photos, along with the initial reviews of the coaster!

Agree with this all so very much. It is the same way with movie enthusiasts (and really enthusiasts of any kind). If a highly anticipated movie with a fanboy following comes out, the slightest bit of criticism, accurate or otherwise, is greeted with a the most vile, aggressive and angry responses.

Carowinds is my home town park and between visiting it daily and working there, I spent the better part of my youth at that park, so I am beyond thrilled to see it get this kind of national buzz and attention and start getting rides of this caliber. I feel like I've watched the park grow, evolve and change so much over the years that I'm just proud of what it has become. I have yet to ride Fury, but will soon and am sure it will be a blast. Will it hit my top 10? Who knows, but I'll enjoy it either way and will likely ride it again and again for years to come.

I really look forward to getting up there to ride Fury325. It looks like a ton of fun!! I'm sure I will love it, even if it won't be my new #1 I am more of a "Skyrush" kind of guy really, but this is one damn beautiful coaster and it looks like an absolute blast!!

David

I think people tend to link the "popularity" of a ride with their own sense of self-worth. So, even mild criticism of a new coaster is taken as a personal affront, which is nonsense.

That being said, while there are some rides that I would like to see "burned to the ground" (for example, Goudurix and many SLCs), I doubt that Fury 325 will be among them.

The reviews have ranged from it being a fun ride to an amazing ride. All positive. There needs to be no drama here. Go out to Carowinds and enjoy the new ride. Just because not all of the reviews are giving the ride an A+++, doesn't mean the ride is a disappointment.

Personally I'd rather have Skyrush, I-305 or Maverick, but hell, this thing is huge and looks incredible. No need to downplay it, this will draw a large crowd in for years to come, wait, did I perhaps just say the point of making an investment? Draw in crowds, draw in money? Weird.

Hope to get down there some time soon and ride the fury!

It is generating generally positive reviews, but rarely are people calling it amazing. And, that is exactly what I was expecting. Honestly, I actually forgot for a while that this ride was even being built, because it is not my favorite coaster type. (And I live on the opposite coast). I have been to Carowinds before, and I enjoyed the park a lot. I would love to go back whether they had this coaster or not. And, I am sure that if I were able to make it back there, I would have fun with this ride. But, I would more likely be spending the rest of my day riding Afterburn. Though, this is to say that I have not ridden it, and it could still surprise me. To me, it is a ride that exists that I have minimally followed because I do not live close to it, and it is not my favorite ride type. But, I see absolutely nothing to complain about. The north side of the park was seriously needing more attention, and I am glad to see it get that.

Fury 325 has certainly given Carowinds an impressive skyline.

CA83ufhUsAAnrFo.jpg:large

It's all for the good. This ride should be a big hit for the park.

Edited by cfc

The reviews have ranged from it being a fun ride to an amazing ride. All positive. There needs to be no drama here. Go out to Carowinds and enjoy the new ride. Just because not all of the reviews are giving the ride an A+++, doesn't mean the ride is a disappointment.

Agreed wholeheartedly. We all have different tastes, and it's very rare that anything in the world is met with a universal "this is absolutely the best " out there. Just because it looks like it Fury 325 will probably be my #1 coaster (which it does), doesn't mean that I disagree with anyone who says otherwise. My opinion is the only one that counts anyway since I'm the one enjoying the ride from a first-hand perspective.

The beauty of so many B&M coasters is that I've never seen an interview with a park executive or spoken with a park executive personally who had anything but good things to say about any of their rides after installation at their parks. B&M is the most expensive coaster manufacturer right now, and despite that they are having absolutely no trouble selling their rides both in the US and abroad.

Parks are going to B&M for a reason. B&Ms for the most part aren't going to WOW the "seasoned" enthusiast, but parks aren't buying B&Ms to satisfy those kinds of guests. They want to make sure that the rides are fun, re-rideable, move tons of people and, most importantly, working when guests visit. Creating rides that satifsy everyone is REALLY hard to do, but B&M is the best in the business at building large rides that riders of all types can enjoy comfortably. It's not a B&M, but that's the same reason as to why most everyone loves Millennium Force. You see all different kinds of riders that get off smiling.

I've ridden all of the hyper coasters in the US and Canada except for Goliath at La Ronde, and Fury 325 looks like it's better to me than all of them. I didn't hear or see anything about riders indicating that it was "too fast to enjoy", "too slow", "too intense", "too uncomfortable because of the restraints", "too rough" or anything else like that. I've only seen one review thus far that said that there's very little airtime out of dozens of other reviews that say otherwise. I'll get a chance to ride this in a couple of weeks, but it's hard to believe that this coaster will be anything less than stellar both for me and the park.

^^It's not particularly baffling considering it wasn't supposed to necessarily be a bigger version of the park's other giant B&M. There are discussions to be had about the design choices, but airtime hills isn't really what I would focus on here.

In other news, is there any truth behind the rumor that the park is considering getting rid of Thunder Road? I'm really looking forward to that one and would hate to loose it. This class of wooden racing coasters is starting to disappear quickly, and that's a shame.

In other news, is there any truth behind the rumor that the park is considering getting rid of Thunder Road? I'm really looking forward to that one and would hate to loose it. This class of wooden racing coasters is starting to disappear quickly, and that's a shame.

I find the Thunder Road removal highly improbable considering that they just completed a 5-year long rehab with GCI in 2013, with rebuilding a lot of the coaster from the ground-up again. Unless the coaster has somehow fallen into entire dis-repair again in the past 2 years, I still see Thunder Road staying around for quite a while.

Now, I can see them doing some slight modifications to the structure to accommodate new pathways for the potential new water park expansion coming next year, but not a complete removal. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have spent all that money on a 5-year renovation, only to tear it all down.

The big problem with Thunder Road is that its entrance is in County Fair, which is the ugliest most dead portion of the park right now. I mean you have to go in the general area to get to Afterburn, but Thunder Road is like behind the bumper cars. I rode it since it was redone, and was surprised at how much airtime you get if you sit towards the front on the left side track. The right side is pretty bumpy. Perhaps they plan to tear down one side of the ride? A lot of time they don't even open one side anyway.