TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I was there today, and was the one that posted about it being a speed machine, but No airtime. I re-rode the ride 4 more times after that, including front row, back row, and in the middle. I stand by what i said. The front row is great, you can really feel the wind in your face and can totally tell it is a speed monster. The back, yes you get a lot more airtime, but it is still nothing compared to its 20' shorter cousin 5 hours to the north, and the rattling back there was BAD. The middle, well i might as well of been riding a mine train.

With that said, is it a HUGE marketing piece for the park. Yes. Does the park look great with the refresh. Yes. I really like how they redid the entire area, the last time i was at Carowinds was for the opening on Intimidator, but it seemed like in addition to new bathrooms with the coaster, they had also redone all the walkways leading up to the coaster, and painted all the rides around Fury (this may have been done before, but it still made it look really nice). The food was also phenomenal, and if this is the new standard that CF is going to be putting out in Theme park food that is a HUGE plus.

Overall, the speed doesnt do it for me as much as air-time. I would rather ride a 100' tall Mega-Lite than this thing. I guess being the "jaded enthusiast type, who has ridden every B&M in the US" yes, i did expect more for 25 million. We rode Intimidator after this, and i thought it was a more thrilling ride. I didnt watch the POV before this, so i tried to go in with a relatively open mind (and even just a few hours beforehand had posted on FB i hoped this was more the surprise like Banshee).

I guess i would rather see more Outlaw Run's, Mega-Lites, and the type in the world. Pretty sure you could buy a Mega-Lite and have RMC redo the train wreck that sits right next to Fury for 25 Milllion.

I'm not trying to start a back and forth but how can you say there is no airtime in the first line but then go on to say riding in the back produces more airtime? Your opinion is just that and I wouldnt try to sway it but that's kinda a contradiction in itself.

^ I don't think he's actually saying that at all. If anything I feel like he's saying that he didn't think the ride had much airtime overall, but when there was some airtime, he found it in the back rows. At least that's what I took away from it, and I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "first line" but I think you meant "first row?"

What I find very interesting is that this seems to happen on just about EVERY SINGLE B&M HYPER I've ever been on where everyone says how much AWESOME airtime it has on it, and then I'll go ride it and I find it has floater airtime at best. IMO, I'm not expecting anything more than that even with people trying to tell me how much amazing near-ejector air it has.

Edited by robbalvey

I was there today, and was the one that posted about it being a speed machine, but No airtime. I re-rode the ride 4 more times after that, including front row, back row, and in the middle. I stand by what i said. The front row is great, you can really feel the wind in your face and can totally tell it is a speed monster. The back, yes you get a lot more airtime, but it is still nothing compared to its 20' shorter cousin 5 hours to the north, and the rattling back there was BAD. The middle, well i might as well of been riding a mine train.

With that said, is it a HUGE marketing piece for the park. Yes. Does the park look great with the refresh. Yes. I really like how they redid the entire area, the last time i was at Carowinds was for the opening on Intimidator, but it seemed like in addition to new bathrooms with the coaster, they had also redone all the walkways leading up to the coaster, and painted all the rides around Fury (this may have been done before, but it still made it look really nice). The food was also phenomenal, and if this is the new standard that CF is going to be putting out in Theme park food that is a HUGE plus.

Overall, the speed doesnt do it for me as much as air-time. I would rather ride a 100' tall Mega-Lite than this thing. I guess being the "jaded enthusiast type, who has ridden every B&M in the US" yes, i did expect more for 25 million. We rode Intimidator after this, and i thought it was a more thrilling ride. I didnt watch the POV before this, so i tried to go in with a relatively open mind (and even just a few hours beforehand had posted on FB i hoped this was more the surprise like Banshee).

I guess i would rather see more Outlaw Run's, Mega-Lites, and the type in the world. Pretty sure you could buy a Mega-Lite and have RMC redo the train wreck that sits right next to Fury for 25 Milllion.

I'm not trying to start a back and forth but how can you say there is no airtime in the first line but then go on to say riding in the back produces more airtime? Your opinion is just that and I wouldnt try to sway it but that's kinda a contradiction in itself.

Maybe i should of said, for the size coaster there is very little airtime. I counted 3 pops of floater airtime over the ~6600' of track, to me that is not a-lot. Back row though you did have some nice floater air coming down the drop, which i didnt feel in the front. It just felt like it could of been so much more, and that was what was disappointing.

^Not trying to argue your opinion (and I haven't ridden Fury), but what Giga coasters are about the airtime? Millennium Force has about three airtime moments, Leviathan is about the same, and I-305 is three hills plus very quick pops in the transitions.

I completely understand that if airtime is your thing, this might not be the ride for you. Although, I just don't know if it's fair to say this coaster lacks airtime for its track length as airtime isn't what the ride is trying to achieve.

Edited by Password121

1. This ride really IS meant more for the "general public" (which is not a negative thing)

It might not be outwardly negative, but on this forum it always feels like a backhanded compliment at best. I'm trying to think of anything really favorable that's been said about the general public, and I'm drawing a blank.

1. This ride really IS meant more for the "general public" (which is not a negative thing)

It might not be outwardly negative, but on this forum it always feels like a backhanded compliment at best. I'm trying to think of anything really favorable that's been said about the general public, and I'm drawing a blank.

There is nothing wrong with a ride that brings in millions of dollars because it's a high profile ride with the locals, however might not score an A+ with all "enthusiasts." The two things do not always go hand in hand. Do I wish they did? Absolutely. But it's interesting how a park can build a $10 million RMC that will blow some enthusiasts away, yet a giant $25 million ride will underwhelm others.

The most important thing about Fury 325 is if the public loves it, embraces it, and brings buckets of cash to ride it. And if they do, then it's a success.

Edited by robbalvey

This is a game of business for parks. We are just the fans. They need something to heavily market which is also reliable, high capacity and "eye catching". This ride looks great, so what if it may not be everyone's #1....I am so happy to see Carowinds get this. It will really boost their attendance and at the end of the day, as long as you have a smile on your face, they succeeded. They really hit a home-run with this one!

This is a game of business for parks. We are just the fans. They need something to heavily market which is also reliable, high capacity and "eye catching". This ride looks great, so what if it may not be everyone's #1....I am so happy to see Carowinds get this. It will really boost their attendance and at the end of the day, as long as you have a smile on your face, they succeeded. They really hit a home-run with this one!

And this is exactly what we have been saying this entire thread!

I generally prefer ejector airtime to floater, but what's just as important to me is how sustained it is. That's why I prefer El Toro, SFNE's S:RoS' 2nd and third camelbacks, and MF's first drop in the back row over any Skyrush element. To me, sustained airtime, whether strong floater or ejector, is a much more enjoyable experience than quick, intense jabs into the lap bar. Height, speed, length, laterals, element variety, spacing and setting are also major factors, with airtime and pacing leading it for me.

Fury325 looks pretty incredible. Besides wishing the speed turns were a little less elevated to give even greater speed sensation, and maybe a tighter helix, it looks pretty flawless as far as what B&M can offer in the giga department. Apollo's Chariot eadily ranks in my top 10 overall, with Nitro not far behind, so I'm sure I would have a blast. Hopefully I get a chance to make the trip soon...

At least after I get my Wicked Cyclone credit, which is my most anticipated credit in years!

After experiencing Canada's Wonderland with the airtime hyper on one side and the speed/twisty giga on the other, I'm very excited for the day I make it to Carowinds. From the simple yet very tasteful theme, to the great length of the layout taken at high speeds, I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

The only barrier to setting travel plans is the new Big Boy Job. No longer are non-operating days in May my chance to skip town and go South ten hours. In time. In time...

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

Amen Rob! I live in Dallas, and while I enjoy getting to ride NTAG all the time. I bought a platinum pass for Cedar Fair parks this year so I could fly to Charlotte, Cedar Point, King's Dominion and King's Island all just because I love rides, I don't care what they are. I have a one week trip planned to hit Six Flags Great Adventure, King's Dominion, and Cedar Point all in a week in June. I just like rides, I'm glad you're preaching that as well sir to the masses. Thanks again for the coverage!

After experiencing Canada's Wonderland with the airtime hyper on one side and the speed/twisty giga on the other, I'm very excited for the day I make it to Carowinds. From the simple yet very tasteful theme, to the great length of the layout taken at high speeds, I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

The only barrier to setting travel plans is the new Big Boy Job. No longer are non-operating days in May my chance to skip town and go South ten hours. In time. In time...

You've got it correct, me for example, if I want ejector air-time, I'll ride the Texas Giant, if I wan't some G-forces and Speed, I'll hop on over to Titan and get a good dose of forces along with it's long floater air-time hill. I'm glad personally they didn't undermine Intimidator in the park by just making a bigger faster version of it.

Sadly all-or-nothing a pretty common mindset among connoisseurs of any hobby topic. I frequent a music board elsewhere on the Web, and a painfully frequent topic recently is how a particular reviewer gave a particularly-hyped album a 9/10. People LOST THEIR DAMN MINDS because they felt it deserved a 10, and now they hate both the album and the reviewer.

It seems the quickest way to hate something you like is to start talking about it on the Internet.

I just hope I like Fury, since I'm taking a roadtrip there this summer, regardless of what anyone else says.

That to me is the single most annoying thing about this hobby (And the reason i dont get on the boards much anymore). My top 10 is my top 10. I dont care if your top 10 has 4 Wacky Worms, 3 Dragon Wagons, and Goudirix in it. i voiced my opinions about the ride. Those opinions were shared by others that i was with today, and other people who were there today thought differently.

Number 1 thing is GET DOWN THERE AND RIDE IT!!! the park built it so people will spend money on admission, food, merchandise. Sadly, most enthusiasts dont do this. We buy season passes, eat food outside the park, and may buy a T-Shirt. WE ARE NOT THE PARKS TARGET AUDIENCE. Just because i didnt like it, i dont think anyone in Carowinds PR is crying over it. I am sure they will see a sizable bump in attendance over this, and thats what a BUSINESS wants.

I hate all this well i watched the POV and i thought __________________. Quit your bitching, get in a car/plane and go ride it. I try to ride every new ride in the US every year, only after i ride it do i voice my opinion.

Time for my review of Fury 325 after 3 rides today!

Fury 325 was my 945th different coaster ridden and definitely changes the skyline of Carowinds forever. The new entrance right now seems very Cedar Fair-ish, lots of white cement and open spaces with no shade, but a giant hulking roller coaster all up in your face from the moment you park your car and walk in. So now Carowinds not only greets you at the south entrance with a B&M, they also do so at the north entrance.

The ride itself sits back where the skycoaster used to be, near Hurler and the diner. Fastlane and regular entrances exist, and no loose articles are permitted on the ride and there were no bins present in the station, all things must be secured in zippered pockets or in the lockers just outside the ride next to The Hive gift shop at the ride exit. No additional queue exits for guests wishing to wait for the front row.

The lift seems to move fairly well until the train reaches the top, offering ample time to check out the views of the park, planes taking off from the airport, and downtown Charlotte in the distance. The first drop is nice and long, though I felt it was a bit weaker than even other B&Ms like Apollo's Chariot or Nitro. The next sequence of turns, curves, and dips set up the sensation of speed you'd expect. To me, the banked turn over the park's entry didn't really do much and I really think they should have gone with an overbank or something. The far turn and dive below the entry plaza is great, and provides that extra push of speed before heading on to the bunny hills...until the trim grabs the train, more felt in the back. I wouldn't classify the airtime as normal floater, nor is it ejector, it's more like sustained floater, but it's good and gives the ride something else beside the speed and a bunch of turns. The helix doesn't really have much in terms of positive G's, but is a nice way to kill some of the speed instead of just slamming into the brakes. The final hills offer the same sustained floater air and make the ride seem more complete than Leviathan. It's a decent, fun coaster that is easy to enjoy, but it may not scratch all of your adrenaline itch.

I would rank it somewhere around 90-100 in my rankings, which would still put it in the B range of rides. It's better than Leviathan, but I prefer the other Gigacoasters to this, as well as several B&M hypers. I wasn't disappointed in my 600 mile drive to ride it, nor was I blown away to the point of planning to do the drive on a monthly basis or move to Charlotte or get a timeshare or something like that. It's a ride that the seasoned rider could expect B&M to make these days just by looking at the computer animations and POVs, more of the same old cold and calculated B&M that doesn't do anything really unique and different, but it's also something that the general public can eat up, tolerate, and reride. In the long run, that's really all we can hope the ride does, attract the masses and raise their levels so we can get crazier coasters for years to come.

Looks like Carowinds is already planning next year's investment, announcement coming in August and it will make a splash and keep Carowinds rolling along (or something like that). I'm calling Aquatrax!

Never been to Carowinds but that is gunna change this year, I'll find a way to make it happen. I think Fury looks incredible, and to those already bashing how "boring" it looks and "there's no hills" I say fine, just means a few less people in line

Looks like it has superb speed, pace, and all those transitions. And I've learned real life is always better than the POV, and the POV seems pretty damn awesome already!

Amen Robb!

I know earlier I said I didn't think it would top my number one I:305 and people were like well then why even ride Fury if your mind is made up.

Well I want to ride it because I ENJOY riding roller coasters, good or bad. Not every single one has to be in my top list for me to enjoy them, there's plenty that I really like that are not in my top ten. Heck Dragster at Cedar Point my home park isn't in my top ten, but does that mean I'm never going to ride Dragster again? No.

Relax people I know the Carowinds fanboys want this to be the greatest thing ever, and for this year it might be. (Though those RMCs look hella good) In reality next year there will be a new hotness that everyone is clamoring for and Fury 325 will go back to what it's meant to be... a good ride for the park, just like every other new coaster built.

Amen Rob! I live in Dallas, and while I enjoy getting to ride NTAG all the time. I bought a platinum pass for Cedar Fair parks this year so I could fly to Charlotte, Cedar Point, King's Dominion and King's Island all just because I love rides, I don't care what they are. I have a one week trip planned to hit Six Flags Great Adventure, King's Dominion, and Cedar Point all in a week in June. I just like rides, I'm glad you're preaching that as well sir to the masses. Thanks again for the coverage!

You are very welcome! We try to talk some sense into people, but you know how much humanity likes to listen.

Come on guys, it's not the worst ride in the park, but it is one of their best overall. No, it's not an airtime machine but it DOES have airtime. No, it's not a jaw dropping coaster but it IS a fun & thrilling coaster. B&M worked with the space that they were able to use & they did a damn good job with Fury 325. Who cares how it ranks? You cannot deny a good ride when you ride one! Period. Regardless of where it lands on your personal rank list.

Honestly, at the end of the day, Fury 325 is like Cold Stones cup sizes; either you like it, love it, or gotta have it.

Jeez, I didnt expect there to be so much controversy around the reviews of this ride. They were what I expected. The new POV looks great and the work they did around the ride looks awesome!