TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Apparently, Wildcat was testing as recently as yesterday, which makes me wonder if it couldn't pass inspection. If it couldn't pass inspection, there obviously would have been something the park had to do to fix it and pass. Maybe they just didn't want to foot the bill to fix a ride that wasn't going to be around much longer anyway.

^^The park said it will be taken to a recycling facility (aka Sandusky Steel).

Cedar Point, either knowingly or unknowingly, has kicked themselves out of the self proclaimed title of "Roller Coaster Capital of the World."

Why can't they still be the Roller Coaster Capital? That title does not equal "park with the most", it can mean something entirely different like "We have the best roller coasters". Washington D.C. does not have the most amount of people in the United States but it is our capital.

Kind surprised they are going to completely scrap it instead of just relocating it to Dorney!

Lol, couldn't help but think this too. Very sudden news, but to me, WildCat is one of those coasters that makes me say, "Oh yeah, I did ride that didn't I." So I can't really say I'm sad to see it leave. But since I don't have any bad memories of it, I guess I can also say that I'm glad that I rode it and I can't wait to see what Cedar Point's next move is (as ximmooreland showed, this dent in the CP coaster count is going to attract a lot of fanboy attention).

Not too surprised here. Wildcat was one of my first roller coasters I rode at Cedar Point when I was 10, and I really enjoyed it then, but with the amount of breakdowns it's been having lately, I'm honestly glad to see Cedar Point put it out of its misery.

Also, not surprisingly, Cedar Point's facebook page is exploding right now. www.facebook.com/cedarpoint

I agree with almost everything that's been posted. Sure it was a good ride, but it didn't have that long of a queue lately and it was rapidly approaching the end of its life. The only bummer here is that it will give SFMM something else to gloat over even though they have no right to!

On a positive note, I'm really excited about what they are doing with that area of the park. A good park is not all about rides, it is about the environment and atmosphere as well. Getting rid of Wildcat should make for a good midway.

Apparently, Wildcat was testing as recently as yesterday, which makes me wonder if it couldn't pass inspection. If it couldn't pass inspection, there obviously would have been something the park had to do to fix it and pass. Maybe they just didn't want to foot the bill to fix a ride that wasn't going to be around much longer anyway.

That is interesting perhaps it malfunctioned in some way again during testing

I never got this credit, hopefully the ride will find new life somewhere else but I doubt it unfortunately.

Any chances of it ending up at Dorney by August?

^^The park said it will be taken to a recycling facility.

Same difference.

This would make sense considering such a sudden announcement, combined with it being recycled not relocated.

I, much like most others, am sad to see Wildcat go. It was a fun little ride, that normally didn't have a huge line. Good starter coaster for the kids.

It IS interesting though, how this came about so suddenly. I bet there is more to this story than we will ever know.

Hopefully, next year, we will get an attraction that will bring some thrill back into the park. I know every year can't be a coaster or a record breaker, but at least for ME, the last couple of additions have been a little underwhelming and not up my alley... (Still don't know why this park doesn't have ONE dark ride.... and no Disaster Transport doesn't count.)

-=CoasterBP

I'm kind of bummed as that was the only credit there, that I'm not sure I had. I was hoping to get it in a couple weeks. Oh well. I guess I'll just say I did ride it then.

Me too, and I was planning a late summer trip there and hoping to finally get it. It has always been a "next time" ride for me. Opps?

^^ Amen on the lack of a dark ride!

Wildcat was a nice little coaster that I always would ride a couple times during any visits there. With the recent maintenance problems they had though you knew it was only a matter of time. A bit sad to see it leave, but I can totally understand their reasoning. This should really open that area up for the new Luminosity show! I'm curious what their next coaster installation will be. I still think a GCI woodie would be a nice addition, and that's something kids could go on as well. It will be interesting to see what may happen heading into 2013.

While a fun ride, I always thought Wildcat looked a bit out of place in the recent years at CP. Its color scheme is sinfully ugly, and it looks more like a carnival ride than a coaster that belongs at a corporate park.