TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

However, what does make since is building a new coaster over the lagoon. It is possible considering that there are three coaster already built over the lagoon (Mantis, Iron Dragon, and Millennium Force). My interpretation of what I see being placed over the lagoon is Cedar Point's rendition of Gardaland's Wing Coaster 'Raptor'.

Sorry, but new coaster plus water can only mean one thing. ...And it ain't no wing coaster.

Nahh,the dippin dots guy said t hat they've invested in the worlds biggest loudest toilet for 2013 & it'll be called Millenium Flush to compliment the new plumber's world theme they're going with.

Nice one!!!

They will need a good maitenance crew, so they could fix Top Thrill Clogs.

Went last night and took advantage of the $19.99 deal they had. Debated at first because I did 6 hours of driving for only 4 hours of park time, but I'm glad I went, as it was well worth it. Not everything was open, but all the major rides and everything I wanted to ride was, so that was okay.

I've gone in early May quite a few times and have seen the park empty, but this is definitely the emptiest I've ever seen it. I doubt there were even 1,000 people in the park. Not only was everything a walk-on the entire time, but on rides like TTD where they can't send empty trains, they were even clamoring to fill up trains at times.

It was also my first time at CP in the dark in about 8 years, so that was definitely cool, especially on Windseeker. Seeing everything ready to go for Halloweekends was also very cool, as I have never been to any park during a Halloween event. It was definitely a great way to spend an otherwise boring Friday night!

Now separate from my mini-TR, here's my take on Windseeker. I was definitely pleasantly surprised! I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked it. Heights is usually no problem for me on anything (I have even done the Stratosphere rides in Vegas, no problem), but I even had a couple "Okay, this is high enough!" and "Can we go down now?" moments! Especially with how windy it is up there!

SOMETHING has to replace Iron Dragon after next year (if the Arrow Suspended = 25 years pattern is true). A major roller coaster-type investment won't have happened for six years at that time (except for Shoot the Rapids, but it probably would be less expensive than a you-know-what).

I see CCMR being removed before the other two, as Corkscrew barely takes up any room and Wildcat could only be replaced by a flat...

One thing I'd like to see happen is an NTAG-esque makeover of Mean Streak. I don't hate Mean Streak, and I've ridden much rougher, but it's kind of a pointless ride in it's current trimmed-to-death state and seems like a perfect candidate for a makeover. Of course it wouldn't increase the coaster count but they could always pull a Magic Mountain and add a Zacspin too...

I think that CP should remove Disaster Transport and maybe the SkyTower and add a GCI Boardwalk coaster that resembles the old Cyclone that once lived (also takes up the employee parking lot in that area. I think CP should redo Mean Streak making it a true wooden coaster...CP has terrible woodies and for them to redo and recreate the whole ride making it a lot longer and stuff. I was thinking for CP to close down Challenge Park and redo some roads to the water park and hotel parking...make the water park garage parking and have an Out and back woodie through CP's nature (if they add trees). If they remove Iron Dragon, a Wing Rider would sound great but I would only agree if Mantis was removed haha. Corkscrew should leave its Corkscrew's over the midway as that is a true memorable iconic moment of the ride. I would completely overhaul the water park. I would add something like Wooden Warrior to the Frontier section or something. I was also thinking something like Toy Story Midway Mania kind of ride in the Midway...thought that would be cool considering they don't have a dark ride (DT does not count). Wildcat would be removed and replaced by a custom made new technology flat ride. I know this stuff would probably never happen I just thought I would like to put it out there and say if I had ownership of CP...I would add...**first on my list...remove Dino Alive!!!

first on my list...remove Dino Alive!!!

So, you would remove a fantastic money-maker for the park? Smooth move, bub.

So it's already a fantastic money maker before it has even opened?

Yeah, I don't really see anybody going to the park specifically for Dinosaurs. The roller coasters are what attract people, and the food/drink is what makes money.

SOMETHING has to replace Iron Dragon after next year (if the Arrow Suspended = 25 years pattern is true). A major roller coaster-type investment won't have happened for six years at that time (except for Shoot the Rapids, but it probably would be less expensive than a you-know-what).

Didn't S&S keep the Arrow parts division open?

As far as I know they did but with so few Arrow Suspended coasters in existence it might not be that beneficial for S&S to continue to supply those part if the parts are that different than other Arrow Coaster parts. In the business i work in our manufacturer has several models of equipment that are far less that 25 years old (and they produced a lot more than 5 or 6 units like the arrow suspended) that have parts that are completely obsolete so I can see this situation being realistic. I don't know if the 25 year number is true or not but I could see potential replacement parts being a legitimate reason for removing the attraction.

^ Cedar Point owns 5 arrow coasters. If saving money on maintenance costs were really that big of an issue, I doubt they would continue to keep 5 of them year after year. I also highly doubt removing only one or two is going to save them all that much either when they would have to just turn around and continue to maintain the other three or four they own.

Besides, Mean Streak's maintenance costs are astronomical, and most likely trump any single coaster at Cedar Point. If it's really that big of a concern, Mean Streak is definitely at the top of that list, far ahead of any Arrow coaster. I'm not sure if this is true (I don't doubt it), but I remember reading somewhere a year or two ago that Mean Streak alone costs hundreds of thousands of dollars each and every year to maintain.

Yeah they might have 5 Arrow Coasters but only 1 Arrow Suspended coaster and as far as I know there are only 4 other Arrow Suspended coasters in operation in the world. If the parts for the suspended coaster are different than all the other Arrow's and are specific to that model then it may not be an issue of saving money, it may be an issue of there are not parts available anywhere in the world, and when our parts inventory expires we can not operate.