TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Quick Question:

How is Maverick not rated higher in coaster polls or opinions? I've been to Cedar Point before years ago when Top Thrill Dragster opened and it hadn't been built, and while I find Millennium Force and Dragster fun... neither warrant their waits when compared to Maverick.

We just got back from a small vacation to see family in the north and I somehow coaxed people into a CP trip... one where I could try out some of the rides they've added or that I didn't have a chance to ride...

Maverick is plain awesome. Now, I did experience it at night for the first time so that might add to the allure, but good god it was not at all what I was expecting. It never lets up and from the drop to the brakes completely fun and crazy...

I wish Cheetah Hunt was more similar so I didn't have to travel 16+ hours to ride it again...

I completely agree. I wrote an article reviewing Maverick for another site, and all of the feedback either totally agreed, or thought I was insane for thinking so highly of what they considered to be too rough of a ride with crappy restraints.

I think Maverick is just polarizing, and I think a person's size, height, and disposition all factor in to whether they enjoy it or not. Personally, it's one of my all time favorite rides.

^^^^I also agree. Since I went on it two weeks ago, I've become a massive Maverick fanboy. I understand that many find it to be too intense, but if there are enough CP fanboys to put TTD in the top ten of the Golden Tickets (a great ride, but just too short to be that high IMO), you would think there would be enough people who love Maverick. Maverick actually does better in the Mitch Hawker poll (#14 this year) than the Golden Tickets, which simply stuns me because it's at Cedar Point. But at the same time, I like having a #1 coaster that isn't in everyone's top ten. Makes me feel like I'm not the same as every other enthusiast.

^That article was the one on The Coaster Critic, right? That was a really good review, you did a great job capturing the essence of Maverick's twisted awesomeness.

I think Maverick is the best steel coaster in the US, and it's not even close. This ride has everything anybody could ever ask for in the steel coaster. The only flaw IMO, is the restraint system which does bang your neck a few times. If this ride had a lap bar only system(or the great restraints the Mack launchers have), it would be the perfect coaster.

I pray we get something like it here on the west coast some day.

I think Maverick is the best steel coaster in the US, and it's not even close. This ride has everything anybody could ever ask for in the steel coaster. The only flaw IMO, is the restraint system which does bang your neck a few times. If this ride had a lap bar only system(or the great restraints the Mack launchers have), it would be the perfect coaster.

I pray we get something like it here on the west coast some day.

Agreed. And while I have no problem with the restraints (either they don't get me or I just don't even notice because I love the ride too much), straps would make it absolutely perfect.

^I can agree with that. Does anybody ever wonder what Maverick would be like if they had kept the barrel roll before that dive? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that would have been the fastest any coaster would have taken a roll and would have been INTENSE!! I'm very disappointed that I've only gotten on this twice as I moved out west the winter it was being built. I need more laps!!!

^I can agree with that. Does anybody ever wonder what Maverick would be like if they had kept the barrel roll before that dive? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that would have been the fastest any coaster would have taken a roll and would have been INTENSE!! I'm very disappointed that I've only gotten on this twice as I moved out west the winter it was being built. I need more laps!!!

To my knowledge Sandor Kernacs is the only person that rode Maverick with the heartline roll and he came back to the station with a bloody ear and insisted it be removed. Considering it only took the park/Intaride 3-4 weeks (maybe even shorter) to make the modification I would like to assume that Intamin had a plan "B" in place as they weren't too sure themselves if the roll would pan out as planned. I also remember reading something about the speed at which the heartline roll was taken put a great amount of stress on the train chassis also.

If you watch this video, it seems that the heartline roll was very abrupt, the transition from the banked track to the inversion was too fast, which would probably result in a g-force spike causing extremely intense and painful headbanging. If it worked, the roll would have made an incredible ride even better, but I really think Intamin made the right decision with this one.

If you watch this video, it seems that the heartline roll was very abrupt, the transition from the banked track to the inversion was too fast, which would probably result in a g-force spike causing extremely intense and painful headbanging. If it worked, the roll would have made an incredible ride even better, but I really think Intamin made the right decision with this one.

Intamin was an idiot to not double check their calculations before hand.

This airtime hill,

and this are what make Maverick a "top 5" coaster in my opinion.

These are two reasons why I hate the ride. The so called 'airtime' hill seems like they tried too hard to make it an airtime hill and therefore it's not fun and is just plain uncomfortable. The other part is, what I call, the whiplash part. That and the following whiplash part hurt, even when I prepare for them they aren't fun in any way. Just my opinion.

^^It's a price to pay for pushing the envelope. They reprofiled I305 because of the forces. As accurate computer programs can be they're not perfect.

I completely understand the reasoning for removing the heartline but I still dream

Doubt they just used computer programs, probably had some manually written calculations in there. If not I will never ride an Intamin ever again. (I'm fine with that anyways ).

Edited by Schotcher

^I was disappointed by that too... the simulations showed much more than there actually was, theme-wise...

As far as the ride itself is concerned, I really love it. I've only ever ridden it once, but that one picturesque sunset ride was enough to give it my #3 spot. I love the layout and almost every single element. My least favorite part of the ride by far, though, is the portion between the beginning of the launch and the end of where the heartline roll used to be. I thought the launch was just 'meh' (none of the effects were working when I rode), the banking change before the trim was the only time I experienced any headbanging, and the re-designed section was the only dull spot in a ride otherwise packed with movement in every direction. My only other gripe was that the ride seemed to have a slight rattle, especially in the horshoe roll, but it wasn't even close to Fahrenheit-level rattle. The Stengel Dives were incredibly fun imo, and I had no problems with the restraints as far as comfort goes. Bravo, Intamin!

This airtime hill,

and this are what make Maverick a "top 5" coaster in my opinion.

These are two reasons why I hate the ride. The so called 'airtime' hill seems like they tried too hard to make it an airtime hill and therefore it's not fun and is just plain uncomfortable. The other part is, what I call, the whiplash part. That and the following whiplash part hurt, even when I prepare for them they aren't fun in any way. Just my opinion.

Hate is a strong word...hate is for rides like mean streak. Why would you complain about them trying too hard to put in an airtime hill... as opposed to them not trying to?