TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'd rather see Cedar Point build something amazing and wait a year. Whether we like it or not Dinosaurs Alive is a GP magnet and will make a hefty sum of money for the park, which they can use to make something amazing for the following year.

I highly doubt they're going to wait all the way until the end of the 2012 season to decide what to build in 2013 based on DA's generated revenue. They most likely already knew what they were going to add in 2013 a few years ago...whether DA is/was successful or unsuccessful.

If Terror Island becomes no more, that's not a shock to me. It's already been there for two years, this year being the third. So really, I think they need something new anyway.

I was there yesterday and they had a sign up for a new haunt this year: Mechanical Maniacal something or other. They had this really weird brass-looking swan with light up eyes. It sat over in Frontier Town by the petting zoo, so I would assume that this one might take the place of Terror Island?

Dino Island: I think it will be a good thing for kids and wished they would have had something like that when I was a kid. I probably wouldn't shell out $5 to see it now unless we took Michael's grandkids to the park.

Mat racer at Soak City: I'm cool with it as long as they don't screw with the swim-up bar!

Hopefully, they'll take out the old Lazy River and install it there being that they have a newer one with waterfalls, dumping buckets and rapids. The old one always looks lonely and abandoned anyway.

To whomever said they haven't updated the water park since it opened, the entire expansion on the Camper Village side of Magnum (wave pool, lazy river, kiddie area, water play area, raft and tube slides) was built several years after the original Soak City opened.

Personally, our family loves SC (especially with the close proximity to the campground) so any water park new additions will be welcome! We spent about half of our day there yesterday because we didn't feel like waiting hours in line for the major rides and coasters. It was still crowded, but not as bad as the park.

I was there yesterday and they had a sign up for a new haunt this year: Mechanical Maniacal something or other. They had this really weird brass-looking swan with light up eyes. It sat over in Frontier Town by the petting zoo, so I would assume that this one might take the place of Terror Island?

The new zone is taking the place of 'The Fright Zone' on Frontier Trail where the swan sits. They are still going to have Terror Island (I assume) because they still have everything set up for it as you can clearly see while riding Millennium. Also, the front is all still there if you ride Paddlewheel; you can see that the other side of the bridge is still there with the 'pirate skull' thingy.

Has anybody thought of how terrible DA location is? It's right under MF which will take away from the ambience or realism of the attraction itself because of a train passing by every 3 minutes. It's one thing CP is building a boring attraction its another when it's not going to be a quality one which it wasn't even in the first place! It won't be a GP pleaser if it looks terrible.

Side note: the reason windseeker's turnout was so terrible is because CP advertised as a major thrill ride which it wasn't. It's like a 300 ft air-conditioned chair with a view. CP has just been doing terrible with the PR side of their business.

Im really not that surprised that DA is coming here... When I went through the KI version it was packed to the gills. Must of went on one of the "off" days put it was packed back there. You couldnt walk two feet without bumping into someone. (A kid nine times out of ten) To tell you the truth, Im more looking forward to the mat racers than the Dinos... The only reason that I even did the one at KI was because Votrex was down and my girlfriend wanted to go...

Also, on a side note. To the person that asked to find a six year old that doesnt like dinos... That would of been me. I did (and still could care less) about dinos... Im more of a Thomas the Tank Engine person. lol.

Has anybody thought of how terrible DA location is? It's right under MF which will take away from the ambience or realism of the attraction itself because of a train passing by every 3 minutes. It's one thing CP is building a boring attraction its another when it's not going to be a quality one which it wasn't even in the first place! It won't be a GP pleaser if it looks terrible.

I'm thinking the same thing. If I had any interest of paying extra to see DA (which I really don't), I would rather go to Kings Island's because theirs is not near any major ride passing through. Besides, I think I'll see plenty of DA at Cedar Point because I ride Millennium often anyway.

I was disappointed when I saw this announcement. I haven't been impressed with anything new CP built since Maverick. So far I think Hershey Park made the best announcement for next year because Skyrush fits that park perfectly. While CW's B&M giga looks pretty cool in my opinion I think it is unessecary for that park because now Behemoth won't get any attention. Hopefully CP will get a new coaster in 2013. I was so sure they were going to get a coaster next year because SFMM is getting rid of Dejavu. I guess I, like most of you, I was wrong.

I was disappointed when I saw this announcement. I haven't been impressed with anything new CP built since Maverick. So far I think Hershey Park made the best announcement for next year because Skyrush fits that park perfectly. While CW's B&M giga looks pretty cool in my opinion I think it is unessecary for that park because now Behemoth won't get any attention. Hopefully CP will get a new coaster in 2013. I was so sure they were going to get a coaster next year because SFMM is getting rid of Dejavu. I guess I, like most of you, I was wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be a walk on all day every day.

^Agreed. You are naive to think that Leviathan will have a negative effect on the ridership of Behemoth. Will the number of people that run to Behemoth first thing in the morning decrease? Sure, more people will run to the new hotness instead. But Behemoth will still be a popular and crowded ride next year.

People are crazy over MF and TTD at CP. Too bad i305 killed my perception of millie when I rode it. I haven't ridden MF since 2005 and would love a re-ride sometime soon as it used to be my #1 coaster.

There are so many far better rides than M.F. It used to be my #1 years ago, but now it's not in my top 10 and nowhere near it. It's deteriorated over the years. The partial and bad paint job (or lack of it) this year underscores how it's been neglected.

I agree MF is overrated. Don't get me wrong its my most favorite ride at CP and I try to ride it at least twice when I am there. But out of the 150 roller coasters ive been on, it ranks 6th on my list. I think if it wasn't located at CP it wouldn't make or just barely make golden ticket awards top 10 steel.

There are so many far better rides than M.F. It used to be my #1 years ago, but now it's not in my top 10 and nowhere near it. It's deteriorated over the years. The partial and bad paint job (or lack of it) this year underscores how it's been neglected.

The rides I had on it last year and this year were probably smoother than any of the rides I had while working at CP in 2007 and 2008, and the ones last year were probably some of the fastest I've ever had (this year I rode in the morning during early entry and it hadn't warmed up yet). And the paint job has literally NOTHING to do with how good the ride is. The only reason it's a partial paint job now is because it takes a REALLY long time to paint 6400 feet of track (Intamin box track especially), and it takes a LOT of paint, which costs a LOT of money.

I know you have this apocalyptic view on everything involving Cedar Fair, but jeez.

It's the CF way. They painted Magnum over 2 seasons, they painted Steel Force over 2 years too right? They painted the supports on Talon one year but not the track, they've been painting Xcelerator for awhile. Say what you want about Six Flags, but they get rides repainted quickly. Didn't SFMM repaint FOUR coaster a couple of off seasons ago?