TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Per queue times and the posts that I've seen, the ride opened on Sunday, ran for awhile, broke down at the base of the lift and hasn't opened since but it's been testing on-and-off the last few days. It's closed now and not testing.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

Per queue times and the posts that I've seen, the ride opened on Sunday, ran for awhile, broke down at the base of the lift and hasn't opened since but it's been testing on-and-off the last few days. It's closed now and not testing.

just watched it run on the cameras. . and could swear I'm seeing legs.. so it appears to have people on it.

it's definitely cycling with at least 2 trains. . . saw it go 3 times in the past 4 minutes.

I've been out of the loop for a few months here so I thought I would post and ask about the status of CP and KI.  I know earlier in the season CP was a major cluster-F*** so we decided to wait to go later in the season.  We are planning to go to one of these parks in a couple of weeks (aiming for a Tuesday/Wednesday).  What I am wondering is which park is operating better under the current employee shortage pandemic?   Cincinnati is about 5 hours from us and CP is maybe 3.  I think I read somewhere no reservations are required now?  And, is it cheaper to get FL ahead of time or is it the same if they are purchased in the park?  Just looking for thoughts, insights, advice!  Thanks in advance! :)

^ you have to buy the FL online, and I'd recommend it.  Especially for KI, where most everything is on FL (you want FL+ tho to get Orion, Mystic Timbers, Beast as well tho), and they put you almost directly into the station.

I was just at KI two weeks ago (and have a Trip Report going), but every ride, and almost every Food Location and Store was staffed up and operating.  (including both bars).
they also had multiple entertainment performances going thruout the day.

the only things that appeared to not be staffed up were some of the carnival games (not on the midway by Orion  - those were all operating - but the stand alone "guess your weight" type games, and some of the stand alone food carts seemed to be closed.

but overall, the park was fully staffed and operating normally.   Had a great time.

can't speak for CP tho. . .

7 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ you have to buy the FL online, and I'd recommend it.  Especially for KI, where most everything is on FL (you want FL+ tho to get Orion, Mystic Timbers, Beast as well tho), and they put you almost directly into the station.

I was just at KI two weeks ago (and have a Trip Report going), but every ride, and almost every Food Location and Store was staffed up and operating.  (including both bars).
they also had multiple entertainment performances going thruout the day.

the only things that appeared to not be staffed up were some of the carnival games (not on the midway by Orion  - those were all operating - but the stand alone "guess your weight" type games, and some of the stand alone food carts seemed to be closed.

but overall, the park was fully staffed and operating normally.   Had a great time.

can't speak for CP tho. . .

To second that: Buy Fast Lane Plus for both parks. It's great. Even when the parks are not that busy. If you skip ten to twenty minutes at each ride, you#ll have a lot more time for riding, dining or just strolling.

When we were at KI it was a rainy week day. Fast lane put us directly in all stations. It was a big value. We only had this one day, so we used it a lot.

When we were at CP, we had three and a half day at the park, but did buy Fast Lane Plus in advance to be sure to have one day to ride them all. so we focused our binge riding for that day and used the rest of our stay to enjoy the park and the little things you might miss if you are constantly standing in lines.

TL;DR: No matter if you are there for one day or multiple days, it#s a great value if you budget early for it.

Of course FL+.. that is what I meant:)   We did that at Busch Gardens and it was on and off. Totally worth it.   Are both parks running as they "should" or is one better than the other?

I was at both parks 3 weeks ago (2 days at KI, 2 1/2 at CP). Seems like ride ops had mostly hit their stride and everything was running really well, besides Gatekeeper obviously. In fact the only downtime I recall seeing on TTD in three days was a couple of times when weather brought the whole park down for a few hours. We didn't see any significant downtime unrelated to weather at either park, besides Gatekeeper which had the broken chain. Rides were opening on time and lines staying open past closing. We usually visit late May or early June so this was a nice change for us.

FL+ was amazing at both parks. It always is at KI but we rode Steel Vengeance 11 times and never waited more than 20 minutes (usually more like 10 minutes), even when the standby line was posted at 2 hours. In fact, I don't think we waited more than 20 minutes for anything at CP, and most things were more like 0-10 minutes.

Food service was pretty hit or miss at CP. Miss Keat's was understaffed and insanely slow, but Melt seemed fine when we went. We had the drink plan and didn't have any significant waits for those stations. I don't recall having any food service or drink issues at KI.

Maybe we got a little lucky, but overall we had a great time at both parks.

18 minutes ago, jonskinny12 said:

I was at both parks 3 weeks ago (2 days at KI, 2 1/2 at CP). Seems like ride ops had mostly hit their stride and everything was running really well, besides Gatekeeper obviously. In fact the only downtime I recall seeing on TTD in three days was a couple of times when weather brought the whole park down for a few hours. We didn't see any significant downtime unrelated to weather at either park, besides Gatekeeper which had the broken chain. Rides were opening on time and lines staying open past closing. We usually visit late May or early June so this was a nice change for us.

FL+ was amazing at both parks. It always is at KI but we rode Steel Vengeance 11 times and never waited more than 20 minutes (usually more like 10 minutes), even when the standby line was posted at 2 hours. In fact, I don't think we waited more than 20 minutes for anything at CP, and most things were more like 0-10 minutes.

Food service was pretty hit or miss at CP. Miss Keat's was understaffed and insanely slow, but Melt seemed fine when we went. We had the drink plan and didn't have any significant waits for those stations. I don't recall having any food service or drink issues at KI.

Maybe we got a little lucky, but overall we had a great time at both parks.

Perfect!  Thank you!

I'd also add if you want to ride Flight of Fear, I would do that when the park opens at 11.  The FastLane+ entrance is to the left of the main ride entrance and in the exit hallway of the ride building.  When I went back to the ride around 2:00, the FL+ line was out the door, which is a pretty long wait.  As others have said though, most other rides rarely have longer than a 5-10 minute wait with many being walk-ons.  The ride hosts and hostesses are also not adverse to putting you in the front seat, so ask if that's what you are looking for.  Enjoy your trip!

Edit: Ugh!  This was for Cedar Point, not Kings Island.  My apologies, but my advice still works!

Has anyone ever Uber'd to Cedar Point from Cleveland airport (and back)? Is there a better/cheaper shuttle service that exists?

Thinking about finally taking a solo trip to the park over a weekend in late August, I haven't been in 4 years. I plan on staying on-site at Breakers. Just wondering the best way to get to the park and back from the airport. Unless any rental car places will rent a car to a 22-year old for a decent price?

Some cars on Turo have a age listed. Did a quick search and found out most cars the age is 21

https://turo.com/ca/en/car-rental/united-states/cleveland-oh/toyota/corolla/639580

Found this for you. They pick you up from the airport it sounds like and on your way you go. 

Also I take it the park has been slammed most of the summer? Everyday when i look at the web came parking lot looks full. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Has anyone ever Uber'd to Cedar Point from Cleveland airport (and back)? Is there a better/cheaper shuttle service that exists?

Thinking about finally taking a solo trip to the park over a weekend in late August, I haven't been in 4 years. I plan on staying on-site at Breakers. Just wondering the best way to get to the park and back from the airport. Unless any rental car places will rent a car to a 22-year old for a decent price?

The issue is going to be finding a ride back to Cleveland.   Sandusky isn't that big and the pool for Uber/Lift is fairly small.  Finding a driver who wants to do the 2.5 hour round trip could be difficult, especially if you need to travel at an off time.

12 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Almost every major car rental company will rent a car to you, they will just charge an extra fee of like $20-30 a day for being under 25 so just browse the Cleveland Airport prices for rental cars and be sure to check their fees. Also if the prices are really high check out the rental prices at some rental locations not at the airport. Sometimes you can get a really good deal that makes it worth it to take an uber to another rental location. 

Personally I've been curious about Turo but never tried it cause some of the reviews I've read have made me eh about it, like some owners apparently can be super annoying and can keep contacting you and there are total miles / daily limits on some cars. Just has never seemed worth the hassle to me if I can get a similar priced car from a rental place. Personally I've always stuck with Budget and Enterprise because I've never had any issues with them. 

• Like 2

Was at the park from 9-noon today and it was slammed.  Gatekeeper was down.  FastLane waits for Maverick, Raptor and Valravn were about 30-45 minutes (a BIG difference from their other Ohio park), Dragster’s standby line was about 75% full, the sipper stand wasn’t open, and many of the rides were shut down during a light sprinkle of rain (to be fair, radar showed lightning in Toledo, so, you know there’s that…. 🙄).  I also saw Cedar Downs had a line extending out onto the midway, which may have been the first time I had ever seen that in all my years of visiting.  

I think I’ll stick with making the 4 hour drive to Kings Island the rest of the summer.  Not sure I want to deal with the inconsistencies and longer waits at the Point for a while… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coasternut said:

^ I see Gatekeeper running on their webcam. Just empty trains??? I'm heading there for the weekend with my family and I hope it opens.

Yep. Just running empty trains. Still testing. 

Does anyone know if the lift (chain) is the problem or if there are even severe issues?

If I read it correctly, the lift chain broke, was repaired very fast and then it was stuck again with riders at the base of the lift hill and wasn't seen open for the public afterwards!?

17 hours ago, BitterOldHag said:

Was at the park from 9-noon today and it was slammed.  Gatekeeper was down.  FastLane waits for Maverick, Raptor and Valravn were about 30-45 minutes (a BIG difference from their other Ohio park), Dragster’s standby line was about 75% full, the sipper stand wasn’t open, and many of the rides were shut down during a light sprinkle of rain (to be fair, radar showed lightning in Toledo, so, you know there’s that…. 🙄).  I also saw Cedar Downs had a line extending out onto the midway, which may have been the first time I had ever seen that in all my years of visiting.  

I think I’ll stick with making the 4 hour drive to Kings Island the rest of the summer.  Not sure I want to deal with the inconsistencies and longer waits at the Point for a while… 

Baseball tourneys start on Thursdays, may be a factor.