TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I honestly didn't dislike a single coaster at the park besides Corkscrew. The only other park with as solid of a lineup as CP that I've been to is SDC, which is 4 for 4 good coasters.

I think people really like to hate on CP's middle and low tier coasters, but the truth is that at almost any other park they could be the best or second best ride in the park.

It certainly would look different without the corkscrews there, but how about it gets replaced by a ride like Hershey's Fahrenheit? Those corkscrews could go over the midway, and Fahrenheit is really terrific with the new restraints. Paint it blue instead of yellow, of course.

Arrow track is prettier than Intamin, but I like my idea.

I got a surprisingly not bad ride on Corkscrew this past summer. Magnum and Blue Streak rode a lot rougher than they did after 15 years so I steeled myself for the worst with Corkscrew as I remembered it as being very rough but it wasn't too bad at all. I think I sat in the third or fourth car from the front. I think I've just gotten good at holding my head slightly forehead on headbangers cause Roug didn't bother me much either.

If maintenance and ridership make CP have to replace Corkscrew I think they definitely need to put new Corkscrews on that midway. They're so iconic anybody used to that midway would just feel a sense of loss not to see them there.

What if they built a racing corkscrew? Has that ever been done before? (Maybe make it a launched coaster, too.) The tracks could be blue and white or maybe blue and red. And Cedar Point could further downsize the lagoon to account for the extra midway space it would gobble.

I got a surprisingly not bad ride on Corkscrew this past summer. Magnum and Blue Streak rode a lot rougher than they did after 15 years so I steeled myself for the worst with Corkscrew as I remembered it as being very rough but it wasn't too bad at all. I think I sat in the third or fourth car from the front. I think I've just gotten good at holding my head slightly forehead on headbangers cause Roug didn't bother me much either.

If maintenance and ridership make CP have to replace Corkscrew I think they definitely need to put new corkscrews on that midway. They're so iconic anybody used to that midway would just feel a sense of loss not to see them there.

What if they built a racing corkscrew? Has that ever been done before? (Maybe make it a launched coaster, too.) The tracks could be blue and white or maybe blue and red. And Cedar Point could further downsize the lagoon to account for the extra midway space it would gobble.

I dont get why many people think Valvravn is underwelming though. I think dive coasters are awesome! I love that straight down drop! However I have admit the inversions weren't that noticeable. It was kind of weird. But then again dive coasters arnt known for its inversions but rather its dive drops hence the name. lol.

I dont get why many people think Valvravn is underwelming though. . .

Because compared to the other two Dive Coasters in the US, Valravn kinda sucks. My main complaint about Valravn are the restraints. The restraints kill any chance for you to get the really awesome airtime that dive coasters are known for. The only redeeming factor for Valravn is the views from the top of the ride. Other than that it is a pretty forgettable, and meh coaster.

Well i still can't wait to ride it, I think my biggest disappointment is that it doesn't drop into a tunnel.

If Cedar point has the theming of phantasialand Germany [emoji629] it would be by far undisputedly the best theme park in the world [emoji289]!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont get why many people think Valvravn is underwelming though. I think dive coasters are awesome! I love that straight down drop! However I have admit the inversions weren't that noticeable. It was kind of weird. But then again dive coasters arnt known for its inversions but rather its dive drops hence the name. lol.

I loved Valravn —in fact I thought it was one of the best rides in the park. It wasn't particularly intense, but a coaster requires more than just mega intensity to win me over (fun, for example) and Valravn hit all the right buttons. I thought it gave an excellent ride, had just the right amount of intimidation factor, and looked incredible while watching from the ground — which, let's face it, is a huge part of what makes rides popular. For example, Gatekeeper's visual spectacle over the entrance to the park is really one its best features. The restraints didn't bother me one bit, and in fact I much prefer them to the older B&M restraints because of how open they are. Although there are other rides I'd also like to see in the park, I do hope the SFMM rumors are true that a version of this will replace Viper.

Corkscrew, however, was miserable. It looks great where it's positioned, but the ride itself was atrocious. The only other rides that I'd file as once-and-done were Wicked Twister and Rougarou. Maybe it's relative to where you sit (I sat in the middle), but Wicked Twister did nothing but disorient me. I found Rougarou's first half to suffer from what many big-inversion B&Ms suffer from (kind of dull), and the second half to be surprisingly rough (seems to be a minority opinion though).

Because compared to the other two Dive Coasters in the US, Valravn kinda sucks. My main complaint about Valravn are the restraints. The restraints kill any chance for you to get the really awesome airtime that dive coasters are known for. The only redeeming factor for Valravn is the views from the top of the ride. Other than that it is a pretty forgettable, and meh coaster.

Completely agree with you here. Valravn is still the only dive coaster I've ridden and I didn't think too highly of it... it was rather forceless, less forceful than Gatekeeper (I grayed out once in back row), the airtime and hangtime was there, but very restricted by the vest restraint. The vests are actually more uncomfortable than they should be - I found it to dig into my collarbone. The best part of the ride was undoubtedly the Zero-G Roll. Nice restricted hangtime that lasts for a good while. It's very visually appealing too.

I feel kinda oddly about Valravn. Firstly, I thought it was pretty intense since I greyed out after the first drop atleast two of the three times I rode it. Secondly, I thought the restraints felt uncomfortable, even though I had absolutely no problem with GateKeeper's. I suspect both of those things has to do with the fact that I rode Valravn much later than the other rides and were probably sore and tired. I did however feel a lot of airtime during both of the drops.

As for ranking I'd put it right under Raptor, which means 6th best for me. The theming was kinda halfassed and barely-existent in a way that you felt like they only did it so they could call it a themed ride (talking about the AR stuff). If I'm completely honest I kinda hope CP doesn't start theme their rides because that's always what I found charming with Cedar Point; it has the atmosphere of a giant boardwalk park almost.

I'll add the Carowinds Fury v Intimidator aspect here. The main vertical drop is nothing unique--especially to CP. Home to steep drops on Dragster, MF, and Maverick (beyond vertical). People whined about how Fury seemed too similar to Intimidator and now Fury just completely blows Intimidator away. Many recommend riding Intimidator before Fury because of this reason. Intimidator still gets riders, but not as many as it used to.

There's no denying the GP appears to love this ride and it is a people-eater. It will be interesting to see its ridership numbers and queue wait times in future years, especially after RMC Streak opens.

I'll add the Carowinds Fury v Intimidator aspect here. The main vertical drop is nothing unique--especially to CP. Home to steep drops on Dragster, MF, and Maverick (beyond vertical). People whined about how Fury seemed too similar to Intimidator and now Fury just completely blows Intimidator away. Many recommend riding Intimidator before Fury because of this reason. Intimidator still gets riders, but not as many as it used to.

There's no denying the GP appears to love this ride and it is a people-eater. It will be interesting to see its ridership numbers and queue wait times in future years, especially after RMC Streak opens.

I was never impressed with Intimidator before and after Fury. Fury is just beautiful though, now that is what i call a complete ride. Fury has everything you could want in a coaster.

Sigh....Im kind of jealous I have yet to be at KD and CW to try out Fury and I-305. They both look out of this world awesome! I only been on one giga coaster and thats M-Force and Im already in love with giga coasters! So i would love to try the others too. I guess everyone likes different features about coasters. My all time favorite coaster elements is the "stomach in your throat" tall and steep drops! Im not saying coasters without them are boring just that my favorite type of coaster is a coaster with super tall and steep drops. Also Mavrick was a lot of fun and caught me by surprise i thought it would just me "meh" but it really packed a punch!!! It was super intense and that super steep drop took my breath away! I-305 looks like a giant Mavrick and the height of Fury looks really awesome!

I always thought the B&Ms complimented the Intamins really well at Cedar Point. Are the B&M's (aside from Raptor of course) overly forceful? No. But they're incredibly fun rides. I absolutely love dive coasters and Valravn is no different, the feeling of power and speed if pretty awesome on that ride, as is the view and the 2 dives. I also really enjoy the barrel roll, it's forceless but has a cool floating sensation to it.

As far as Rougarou goes, I actually think it's the most forceful floorless out there aside from Dominator. Don't get me wrong, a "forceful" floorless coaster isn't saying much, but it's kind of snappy and fun. I think it's the weakest B&M in the park but it's a very good ride. As for Gatekeeper, I absolutely love the thing. The first drop is insane, the keyholes are fun and I really like the sensation of flying that it provides. Raptor is forceful and awesome but I'm not really talking about Raptor. We all know that already.

I never felt like the park had a "bipolar" coaster lineup, it just has a great variety of rides. Aside from Corkscrew there really isn't a dud in the bunch, and even Corkscrew has it's good points. It's not rough enough to be unbearable and while it's by no means a good ride, kids seem to really like it, it has some historical value and it looks spectacular. They have a great collections of Arrows to compliment the B&Ms and Intamins which round things out nicely (and having a collection Arrows that don't suck makes them kind of unique to be honest)... I have to admit I can't really find any issues with their coaster lineup. I felt like Valravn was just the icing on the cake and putting an RMC into the mix is flat out ridiculous. I can't wait.

I don't want to come across as a fanboy but I really can't objectively find any issues with this stacked coaster lineup. I guess maybe they could use another high intensity coaster to compliment Maverick, Dragster and Raptor but by the looks of things we won't have to wait very long.

I thought Maverick, Magnum, Rougarou, Valravn, Blue Streak and Corkscrew all hurt more or less

I have a few tips for these, they may work, they may not... but it's worth a try. That's a fair assessment of Corkscrew. Riding in the first row of the back car is my best advice but you're not going to have a pain free ride on Corkscrew ever, it's not THAT bad though. Blue Streak (like all 3 bench PTC wood coasters not located in Elysburg, PA) runs much better in a non wheel seat. That ride can jackhammer quite a bit in a bad seat but this can easily be avoided by sitting in a middle row of any car. With Magnum, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible to avoid slamming into the bar. I used to hate the ride but that trick made me love it.

As far as Maverick and Rougarou being rough... I've got nothing. I have no idea why people think Rougarou is rough and Maverick was always awesome and smooth and is even more awesome and smooth with the new vests. With both of them you should keep your head forward and lean into the turns but that goes for every coaster so I can't really help you there. Eat some Wheaties before going to the park maybe? IDFK.

I enjoyed all the coasters there as well. I think CP is really awesome. Even the super tame coasters like Iron Dragon and Cedar Creek weren't that bad. Iron Dragon with the VR was surprisingly a lot of fun. Cedar Creek was kind of fun as well even though I am not really a fan of mine trains. I guess when it comes to coasters i am not super super picky. However i am not a big fan of "flat coasters" you know those family coasters that lack drops or/and inversions. Like those small Hopkin coasters Whizzer or most mine trains.

I am definitely NOT in the B&M hate crew. I love the company and I enjoy the majority of the rides it builds. That said, I couldn't get into Valravn. After my third ride, I realized how much I was trying to enjoy the coaster and how little I actually did enjoy it. After the nice view and first drop I felt like the ride just kind of floats around. The final inversion and airtime hill left me puzzled. Emily and I really liked Griffin and we enjoyed Shiekra. However, both of us shared the underwhelming opinion about Valravn. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I feel like the tunnels and splashes really compliment this design, but Valravn had neither. I'm not sour about it and I have no feelings of entitlement. I'm happy the park has a hit coaster and I won't turn it down for a ride or two on visits. Aside from that, it just wasn't our thing.

Gatekeeper was fun, but again it wasn't something that I wanted to ride over and over again. Raptor and Roug were both one and done rides for us. I really think all of the rides are great, but when you have such hits as MF and Maverick in your park, I really think it does take top notch rides down a peg when bunched into the same park. That and I probably have such a short attention span that keeping the majority of my focus on MF and Maverick was enough for me. I don't care for that much divided attention. When I was at CP I felt obligated to spend a few laps on Gatekeeper, Valran, Raptor, Roug, Dragster... when really I just would have rather gone from MF to beer man to Maverick, and repeat. I was never a spoiled child with too many toys, but I would almost imagine that this is what it would have felt like if my parents had been loaded...

Valravn is fun, but it's not SheiKra. Same thing with Raptor - it's not Montu.

There are pretty much better versions of most of the coasters at CP - BUT you would have to travel all over to experience those coasters, whereas at CP you get a "quality" version of most styles of coaster and how can you not like that?

I can't believe I am agreeing with Prozach, but CP is definitely to the point where it is almost too saturated with coasters. I like most of the coasters there, but if those coasters were ANYWHERE else they'd be the star attraction whereas at CP they sort of get lost.

I've ridden Griffon and Valravn each about half a dozen times, but Griffon wasn't since 2011 so my opinion might be a little hazy. That said, I preferred Valravn slightly, but Griffon probably gave the more powerful ride per element. Valravn's second half (second quarter?) is really what makes it decent, at best.

That said, I'm a big fan of both B&M's old and new models of coasters. I think they offer different flavors, and I like different things about each. With that in mind, Raptor is my favorite B&M at the park, followed by GateKeeper, with Valravn and Rougarou about equal--though "least favorite B&M at Cedar Point" is still a well above average coaster, and one that I'd be re-riding most of the day at any other park.

I'm not about to complain that a park has too many good coasters. If the park was saturated with terrible coasters like Canada's Wonderland, I'd understand the argument.

The fact that Valravn and GateKeeper aren't considered star attractions in the eyes of some people is a good thing. That just shows how strong of a lineup the park has.

If the coaster collection at Cedar Point is too good for you, please, feel free to go to Canada's Wonderland instead. Six Flags Great America has some really mediocre rides with long waits; maybe that's more your speed. Carowinds only has three good rides and they're all B&Ms: there's another quality one for someone of that ilk.