TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I appreciate the feedback, Samuel! Really the only reason I didn't attempt an RMC conversion is because someone else already made an excellent RMC concept (OpticalKiwi I think). Plus I just wanted to show people that say the layout is too boring to stay a wood coaster that you could make it a really good one. Granted it certainly would not be the most thrilling option, in which case RMC is the clear choice. It really depends on what Cedar Point wants Mean Streak to be. Do they want it to be an above average wood coaster or an amazing balls-to-the-wall steel coaster?

It really depends on what Cedar Point wants Mean Streak to be. Do they want it to be an above average wood coaster or an amazing balls-to-the-wall steel coaster?

In other words, if Cedar Point is to do anything with Mean Streak, would they rather have a mediocre wooden coaster with higher than normal maintenance costs, or a world class steel coaster with relatively minimal maintenance costs?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

Since everyone is yammering about how Mean Streak should get RMC'd instead of GCI'd (I completely agree). My biggest question is: how would CoasterBill take the news? Would he swear off CP forever, or would he embrace the fate of his beloved?

I think he'd just stop leaning forwards.

would they rather have a mediocre wooden coaster with higher than normal maintenance costs, or a world class steel coaster with relatively minimal maintenance costs?

I think this is an important fact that people rarely touch on!! To me that should be the biggest selling point for CP Iron Horsing MS

Thats the thing though who says it has to be an Iron Horse make over!!! They could get the same insanity with a topper track make over and still be able to keep its wooden coaster status instead of hybrid like Six Flags.

My main thought is regardless which route they choose to go with on the track will they be increasing the lift angle to add heigh for a bigger drop so they don't have to loose length of the ride? Most RMC m/o have seen some significant loss of overall ride length.

I rode Mean Streak for the first time last night and prepared myself for the worst woodie in the US but I really didn't think it was that bad. I rode it again today just to be sure, and yes, the layout's a bit uninspired in parts (it does have some good bits here and there), and yes it's rough (although it's not nearly as rough as some other woodies I've ridden recently), but there's a lot of material and space to work with for whoever might do a refurb. The structure itself is beautiful.

I rode Mean Streak for the first time last night and prepared myself for the worst woodie in the US but I really didn't think it was that bad. I rode it again today just to be sure, and yes, the layout's a bit uninspired in parts (it does have some good bits here and there), and yes it's rough (although it's not nearly as rough as some other woodies I've ridden recently), but there's a lot of material and space to work with for whoever might do a refurb. The structure itself is beautiful.

There's plenty of space and material to work with... and that's why it's so bad in my opinion. So much missed opportunity for faster elements and more maneuvering... but it doesn't. It just crawls through way too drawn out turns and valleys.

I don't think they are going RMC at this point, I feel if that were the case they would make a much bigger deal of the announcement. Its likely going to get the GCI treatment like Ghostrider, which I guess isn't the worst thing but unless they do some major reprofiling, kind of feels like a wasted effort. Ghostrider seems to have a much better layout than Mean Streak, and is worth keeping far more than MS is.

Of course they close it the weekend before my trip! I personally like Mean Streak. I can't stream live video at my work... Was anything else mentioned in the video other than it's closure on the 16th? Is it closed forever or just the season?

Of course they close it the weekend before my trip! I personally like Mean Streak. I can't stream live video at my work... Was anything else mentioned in the video other than it's closure on the 16th? Is it closed forever or just the season?

It was announced on a video on Twitter. The only thing it announced was that mean Streak is "getting the axe" on September 16th.

I don't think they are going RMC at this point, I feel if that were the case they would make a much bigger deal of the announcement. Its likely going to get the GCI treatment like Ghostrider, which I guess isn't the worst thing but unless they do some major reprofiling, kind of feels like a wasted effort. Ghostrider seems to have a much better layout than Mean Streak, and is worth keeping far more than MS is.

Why would they announce the permanent closure of a ride if they were re-profiling it? This is much more likely to be an RMC conversion or a complete demo to free up a bunch of space.