TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

I rode Mean Streak for the first time last night and prepared myself for the worst woodie in the US but I really didn't think it was that bad. I rode it again today just to be sure, and yes, the layout's a bit uninspired in parts (it does have some good bits here and there), and yes it's rough (although it's not nearly as rough as some other woodies I've ridden recently), but there's a lot of material and space to work with for whoever might do a refurb. The structure itself is beautiful.

I rode Mean Streak for the first time last night and prepared myself for the worst woodie in the US but I really didn't think it was that bad. I rode it again today just to be sure, and yes, the layout's a bit uninspired in parts (it does have some good bits here and there), and yes it's rough (although it's not nearly as rough as some other woodies I've ridden recently), but there's a lot of material and space to work with for whoever might do a refurb. The structure itself is beautiful.

There's plenty of space and material to work with... and that's why it's so bad in my opinion. So much missed opportunity for faster elements and more maneuvering... but it doesn't. It just crawls through way too drawn out turns and valleys.

I don't think they are going RMC at this point, I feel if that were the case they would make a much bigger deal of the announcement. Its likely going to get the GCI treatment like Ghostrider, which I guess isn't the worst thing but unless they do some major reprofiling, kind of feels like a wasted effort. Ghostrider seems to have a much better layout than Mean Streak, and is worth keeping far more than MS is.

Of course they close it the weekend before my trip! I personally like Mean Streak. I can't stream live video at my work... Was anything else mentioned in the video other than it's closure on the 16th? Is it closed forever or just the season?

Of course they close it the weekend before my trip! I personally like Mean Streak. I can't stream live video at my work... Was anything else mentioned in the video other than it's closure on the 16th? Is it closed forever or just the season?

It was announced on a video on Twitter. The only thing it announced was that mean Streak is "getting the axe" on September 16th.

I don't think they are going RMC at this point, I feel if that were the case they would make a much bigger deal of the announcement. Its likely going to get the GCI treatment like Ghostrider, which I guess isn't the worst thing but unless they do some major reprofiling, kind of feels like a wasted effort. Ghostrider seems to have a much better layout than Mean Streak, and is worth keeping far more than MS is.

Why would they announce the permanent closure of a ride if they were re-profiling it? This is much more likely to be an RMC conversion or a complete demo to free up a bunch of space.

Why would they announce the permanent closure of a ride if they were re-profiling it? This is much more likely to be an RMC conversion or a complete demo to free up a bunch of space.

Yeah. They made a video almost identical to mantis's conversion which they though was pretty unique, And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do it just for a re profiling. The axe part sounds like it almost could be for the name seing as they would probably change it for an RMC version.

I know we all want an RMC...But look at all the space they cleared up around the water park. It would be awesome, but I'm starting to think a water park expansion and a RMC coaster in 2017 is too much. Unless Cedar Point is getting all "Universal" and going crazy with addition after addition...Which isn't a bad thing. It's very possible they may just tear the coaster down and leave the space open for a future addition. I do think the water park expansion is happening next year, but I'm not sold on a RMC or GCI reprofiled coaster just yet.