TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know what's going on with Volcano? It was closed the days I went last week as well.

I have absolutely no idea. I would guess the answer is intamin though.

Fun fact: Even without Volcano and Hurler, KD is still a much more well rounded park than Carowinds. Sorry if I just caused an argument...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen Google street view of this park's boneyard?

Anyone need some seats from the old "Days of Thunder" attraction:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.835255,-77.4465884,3a,43.1y,2.94h,78.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXD0tGSv1oONXOoiLgYV1Ug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There are three dinosaurs there as well.

Dated 2015

Yeah, it was posted here yesterday. It's pretty cool to be able to look around in that area, where guests aren't allowed.

I love Google Street View.

I don't understand how consumers can get so upset about an issue as if the park owes them something. Why not just vote with your dollar and travel to another park only an hour away? This is what I do with SFSTL, except I have to drive three to five hours to a decent park. I can't imagine how much effort someone would have to put into making their self upset when they have a phenomenal option so close by.

I will say that I don't really care for what seems to me to be an acceptance of SBNO coasters. Son of Beast, Gwazi, and Hurler now come to mind. Seems like kind of a cancer within any park.

Because complaining on a roller coaster forum and then buying a season pass+dining plan for the upcoming year is a much more effective strategy.

Does anyone know what's going on with Volcano? It was closed the days I went last week as well.

Fun fact: Even without Volcano and Hurler, KD is still a much more well rounded park than Carowinds. Sorry if I just caused an argument...

No argument needed. It's common knowledge that Carowinds has the better lineup and is pretty much superior in every way. You're free to disagree with that though. We can't force you to be correct.

Edited by PhantomPoster32

I'm thinking that whenever the Dinos contracts are up, the next year, something big will go in their place. Maybe that's a reason for the small 2017 expansions announced so far. They're saving the money. Maybe CF is Rick-Rolling KD fans into starting petitions and RMC Hurler will yet be announced, but at this point, who knows?

After SOB closed down after that last incident, what kind of promises did Kings Island make about the future before the Banshee started screaming? I heard a small rumor a while ago (undocumented sorry) that the park was shopping for a B&M invert. Could history be repeating itself here?

No argument needed. It's common knowledge that Carowinds has the better lineup and is pretty much superior in every way. You're free to disagree with that though. We can't force you to correct.

If you are trolling you are REALLY good at it! I honestly can't tell if you are or not.

No argument needed. It's common knowledge that Carowinds has the better lineup and is pretty much superior in every way. You're free to disagree with that though. We can't force you to correct.

If you are trolling you are REALLY good at it! I honestly can't tell if you are or not.

I don't think they're being serious. Besides like 3 coasters, the whole lineup is stale coaster types or clones. Nothing special.

I could be wrong but i believe I saw a picture of a tree that had fallen on part of Volcano.

Oh no! Watch out for falling trees!

Jokes aside... Now that I think about it, I actually do believe I saw something going on out by Volcano's turnaround in between launches. I'm not completely sure though. I was over by flight of fear and I saw a glimpse of something back there, but I didn't think much of it at the time. Now I wish I had further investigated it, but whatever.

Last I was there, one of my park ambassador friends told be it had been shut down for the week before (I went on the 17th). He said they were having problems launching fast enough. He said it could only launch around 40mph and kept rolling back...

Considering the magnets have their own AC unit, I think it would be the heat. Maybe the magnets are overheating and the ride deliberately lowers the power put into them.

Today on Screamscape:

2018 - New Coaster - Rumor - (8/25/16) So while many were disappointed by the announcement of a Planet Snoopy expansion in 2017, there is one upside to this news. Typically when a park spends very little on new capital in one year, they are saving up to spend quite a bit more the following year on a major new project, such as a giant roller coaster. With that in mind, what could be coming to Kings Dominion in 2018?

The rumor mill is already busy whispering the rumors, with the main concept said to be in development right now possibly being B&M's first Launched Flying Coaster. This would also be the first B&M coaster developed directly for Kings Dominion as well as Busch Gardens Williamsburg always seemed to get them first in the past, but they haven't bought a B&M since Griffon back in 2007. Oh, and don't count Dominator... it was built for Six Flags Ohio and moved to KD when that park closed.

So with BGW not having purchased a new coaster from B&M in 10 years it looks like any exclusivity contract for the local market that they might have had will come to an end in time for KD to get a B&M in 2018. Now I'm not sure how well a launch might feel on a Flying coaster, but I'm curious to see how it works out if the rumor holds true.

The idea of a launched B&M Flyer sounds like somebody's f'ed up RCT2 ride having too much fun experimenting with the 8cars trainer modifications. Either that or it sounds like the fourth page of a park discussion thread on here after someone shoveled a single scoop of dirt at "insert park name here", as they prepare to build their launched underground Aquatrax yada yada.

But it also sounds awesome. Being launched into a flying coaster pretzel loop would be everything awesome, so hopefully it comes to fruition. Maybe they'll also include an entrance re-do a la CP and Carowinds and incorporate the new coaster into it, maybe you'll walk through the pretzel loop or something to get into the park.

Someone needs to start a Kings Dominion coaster rumor every year just to watch the KD fanboys lose their collective sh*t every time it doesn't happen.

I heard next year, they are building one that is bigger and faster than Kingda Ka, longer than The Beast and has the most inversions of any coaster....

This rumor doesn't sound far-fetched at all. B&M has already done two launched coasters (one at a park you'd never think would get one mind you) so this could be legit.

Howeve I'm not entirely holding my breath. I think we will see a coaster in 2018 but that launched flyer remains to be seen.

Someone needs to start a Kings Dominion coaster rumor every year just to watch the KD fanboys lose their collective sh*t every time it doesn't happen.

I heard next year, they are building one that is bigger and faster than Kingda Ka, longer than The Beast and has the most inversions of any coaster....

So a 500ft Larson Looper that goes upside down 50 times forwards and backwards?

So a 500ft Larson Looper that goes upside down 50 times forwards and backwards?

You heard the same rumor that I did.