TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 767: WinterFest Media Night Report

I'm just gonna start banning people. No questions asked.

You want to make stupid posts? BANNED!

You want to keep dragging out the same pointless discussion? BANNED!

You want to question the admins? BANNED!

It's the only way I can see that we can get this thread back on track and weed out the people that are making this unbearable for the rest us us.

--Robb "Sick of being nice... Wait... I was never nice." Alvey

Right Move. This thread is starting to become a total mess

I don't know why all these KD fan boys are upset that they haven't gotten a coaster since 2010. News flash, CF has been doing the same thing with about 4 or 5 other parks. A park doesn't deserve a new coaster people they haven't gotten one in so long. A park deserves a coaster when corporate knows they'll see a wonderful return on investment. They saw big potential in Carowinds, that's why they got fury and a new Waterpark. They wanted to grow KI more, so they did. And of course they'll do what they need to cp to make it number one.

CF does a 3-5 year plan for parks. Carowinds, KI and CP 3-5 year plans are ending, so now some of the other parks 3-5 year plans are starting. Which is why so many announced flats or water park. And some of them will more or less announce a new coaster in the next few years.

Gotta stop b***hing about not getting a coaster. Join the club or Dorney, world of fun, Michigan adventure, and valley fair. now that I'm 21,i need a damn drink

Anything new for them with haunt this year?

Change of topic for KD... What was your first coaster ever ridden at KD? Surprisingly it was not Scoobie Doo for me and it was Mt. Kilimanjaro... For all of those that aren't as old as me, it was the coaster that ran through the smaller mountain between Volcano and Anaconda. Gosh, it brings back memories of sitting there and watching the ski show in the lake too!

I'll be glad to answer. I305 back in 2011 which was my first and only visit to KD. I plan on going back soon. Maybe even next year. When I first heard that people have blacked out on I305 I was really hoping this would happen to me but it didn't and I rode it 3 times too. Front, back and middle.

I'm just gonna start banning people. No questions asked.

You want to make stupid posts? BANNED!

You want to keep dragging out the same pointless discussion? BANNED!

You want to question the admins? BANNED!

It's the only way I can see that we can get this thread back on track and weed out the people that are making this unbearable for the rest us us.

--Robb "Sick of being nice... Wait... I was never nice." Alvey

Seriously can we have a purge? Good God, I would be in favor of a lock on the entire King's Dominion thread for a week just to make it stop. If you feel the need to personally attack someone over theme parks and rides than you need a new hobby. It isn't that serious

Change of topic for KD... What was your first coaster ever ridden at KD? Surprisingly it was not Scoobie Doo for me and it was Mt. Kilimanjaro... For all of those that aren't as old as me, it was the coaster that ran through the smaller mountain between Volcano and Anaconda. Gosh, it brings back memories of sitting there and watching the ski show in the lake too!

Rebel Yell. My mom took me on it right when I was tall enough. It was my first ever coaster, actually.

I'll be glad to answer. I305 back in 2011 which was my first and only visit to KD. I plan on going back soon. Maybe even next year. When I first heard that people have blacked out on I305 I was really hoping this would happen to me but it didn't and I rode it 3 times too. Front, back and middle.

I was lucky enough to snag a first rider tshirt on I305. I got to experience the original layout and with no trims on the first drop. Definitely grayed out and I have never experienced that in my life. I still gray out a little, but not as much since they have made all of the modifications. I actually didn't mind the old OTSR and they never bothered me on Maverick either.

Rebel Yell. My mom took me on it right when I was tall enough. It was my first ever coaster, actually.

Mine in order... 1. Mt Kilimanjaro 2. Scoobie Doo 3. Avalanche 4. Rebel Yell 5. Grizzly 6. Wore baseball cleats to the park and somehow managed to be tall enough to ride Shockwave at 7 years old. I was a tall kid and don't judge me wearing cleats! Lol At least I was smart enough to think of that so I could ride with my big sister and her friends

I'm trying to figure out who is more annoying: the unrealistic fanboys or those who flame them.

I would be in favor of a lock on the entire King's Dominion thread for a week just to make it stop. If you feel the need to personally attack someone over theme parks and rides than you need a new hobby. It isn't that serious

I couldn't fathom how this thread exploded for so many new pages just over the day today! Clearly, I forgot what thread we're talking about here...

All I have to say after reading all the pages of insane crap after quoting Screamscape, followed by the subsequent trashing of the site is that, as was stated a few pages back, Screamscape is a "News and Rumors" site and the guy clearly has his work cut out for him. He posts news when announcements are made or, for example, when it was uncovered that Six Flags New England applied for planning approval for their new S&S 4D Free Fly, a pending-announcement bit of news.

In addition to this he clearly has sources who probably have other sources and information gets passed to him that way. He maintains a level of integrity for the site and if I were to go ahead and e-mail him right now and say that I had a dream that Universal is building the next tallest coaster on the planet, he isn't just going to throw it up on the site and say "somebody told me", he's going to put the information through his vetting process because, again, he wants to maintain integrity of his site.

Would some of you prefer not to have this resource at all?

It's also very important to note that plans change. Say KD was on track to get a new entrance and huge B&M for 2015, then they either saw a decline in traffic, decline in revenue, or even an outside (ie other park had a large increase) statistic that indicated that their resources would be better used elsewhere, they are a business and exist to make money. You may feel that it's "unfair" that KD hasn't had a new major coaster since 2010, but unfortunately business just doesn't work that way. They are also a publicly traded corporation, so the shareholders and board of directors are also going to mull over the details to make sure they get the best return on investment for the decisions they make in capital investment.

I don't know why all these KD fan boys are upset that they haven't gotten a coaster since 2010.

Who's upset? Mystified and curious, sure, or simply want want wanting, yes. How many years of relative calm before the storm? The detractors of this thread totally misread its tone. Enthusiasts are going to be enthusiastic.

I don't know why all these KD fan boys are upset that they haven't gotten a coaster since 2010.

Who's upset? Mystified and curious, sure, or simply want want wanting, yes. How many years of relative calm before the storm? The detractors of this thread totally misread its tone. Enthusiasts are going to be enthusiastic.

There's "enthusiasm," and then there's "obsession." Some enthusiasts cross that line frequently. Constant kvetching only makes the thread unbearable to read and leads to idiotic flame wars.

So, to get back on topic, who's looking forward to Haunt?

I am for sure. We may or may not do any mazes but we always do our KD trip during Haunt because of their incredible hours. 10:30 AM to Midnight, Fastlane puts you right into the station on everything at KD and they run the Log Flume until 7:00 which is awesome in October.

I still think that Hurler will eventually be given the RMC Iron Horse treatment while Grizzly gets the GCI Ghostrider treatment. As for the grain of salt B&M Launched flyer rumor, I'd be interested in seeing how they do that. The forces are definitely quite unique on a flying coaster and I wonder how fast it could be launched given the riding position and forces. Then there's the question of where to put it? There was a rumor a few years ago that they were looking into a Deckerized B&M wing coaster. Personally, I'd love to see a pretzel loop that goes around the main entrance to any park. Frame the entrance inside the loop. Tell me that wouldn't look completely awesome with the Eiffel Tower in the background.

I am for sure. We may or may not do any mazes but we always do our KD trip during Haunt because of their incredible hours. 10:30 AM to Midnight, Fastlane puts you right into the station on everything at KD and they run the Log Flume until 7:00 which is awesome in October.

In that past, the park was open only from 7:00 pm to midnight on Fridays during Haunt, and the crowd was small. I think staying open longer is a good idea. Families can do the kid Halloween stuff then.

I am for sure. We may or may not be scooping up Boldy on our way down for his first ever visit and so he can finally ride his #1 bucketlist coaster which is awesome.

Volcano.

we followed advice here on TPR and went there 1st.

(followed by Avalanche, I305, Flight of Fear, and Anaconda . . .i remember the order, because i REALLY had to pee, and there are absolutely no toilets in that area, but the rides were opening one after the other with no lines, so we went from one to the other to the other)

^^ Oh you're coming. Get ready for the customary last log of the night at 7 PM in October. It's tradition.

PS: I just realized that I've never ridden Shenandoah Lumber Company when it was above 50 degrees.

post-23914-Im-ready-Jon-Snow-gif-othl.gif.4be5772118e2be6e3c169c7b534d7001.gif

Pretty much all of my visits to Kings Dominion have been on their 7PM-12AM Friday nights in October for Haunt for the reasons Chuck laid out. Nary a line in the place!

Hmm.. My memory may be fuzzy on this one but wasn't there a speculation about carowinds getting a giga in 2013 and it ended up getting announced in 2014? This could also be for the s*** and giggles but it could be something to think about

That speculation also stemmed from a new article about when cedar fair went to the tax people for the incentives and pitched the 300 plus foot coaster similar to what cedar point had just done with gatekeeper. Turns out they were referring to the fact that it was an "gate" coaster and it did end up being a giga. There is no sorts of this going for kings dominion. Its getting really sad how some people are really trying with their all their might to FORCE a RMC hurler to happen.

I feel this year shows that Cedar fair, as a chain, realizes their parks are good in the coaster department. I was personally shocked any coasters were announced as it seems the chain is going for a more "back to basics" approach and fixing things from inside out (infrastructure, environment of the parks, experience . . .etc). When the coasters do come, its gonna gonna be an ever better thing.

In all of my visits over the last two years, Rebel Yell does not race. The park operates both sides all day long (which is more than can be said for King's Island), but one side of the lift hill goes up faster than the other and the trains are completely apart during the entire ride after the lift hill. It's a shame and i would imagine a relatively simple thing to fix. But it takes away greatly from the experience of the coaster.

As far as King's Dominion getting big new coasters, I-305 failed to pack them in and usually has a minimal wait. KD doesn't get that great of attendance. The park lacks in many areas, and Busch is right down the road with a better overall appeal to a larger group of customers Busch accomodates thrill seekeers, kiddies, non-thrill riders, live performance enthusiast, and has decent food to eat! KD is a coaster park, and their coaster lineup isn't that great.

KD would be foolish to continue to invest in coasters and nothing else when they are getting a poor attendance with this formula. To compete better with Busch, the elements that Paramount ripped out need to return so everyone can be entertained there, not just coaster riders.

As far as King's Dominion getting big new coasters, I-305 failed to pack them in and usually has a minimal wait.

I've seen this mentioned multiple times as an example, and I think it's actually a pretty poor example... I-305 is super intense, so much so originally that it had to be modified, and even coaster enthusiasts concede that it's very intense. It shouldn't be surprising in the least that the GP don't flock to it in droves. If KD were to install a coaster that was more re-ridable to the GP, you had better believe that you would see a much more enthusiastic response by the GP than you do with regard to I-305.

I've seen this mentioned multiple times as an example, and I think it's actually a pretty poor example... I-305 is super intense, so much so originally that it had to be modified, and even coaster enthusiasts concede that it's very intense. It shouldn't be surprising in the least that the GP don't flock to it in droves. If KD were to install a coaster that was more re-ridable to the GP, you had better believe that you would see a much more enthusiastic response by the GP than you do with regard to I-305.

So would that have made I-305 a bad decision to install at KD? At least that 's how I'm reading into it. A company that spends that kind of money for what is basically the park's marquee attraction yet doesn't bring in the results they had hoped makes it sound like it was a failure from the start. I, personally, loved the ride and consider it better than Millennium Force.

So would that have made I-305 a bad decision to install at KD? At least that 's how I'm reading into it. A company that spends that kind of money for what is basically the park's marquee attraction yet doesn't bring in the results they had hoped makes it sound like it was a failure from the start. I, personally, loved the ride and consider it better than Millennium Force.

I actually almost put something to that effect in there, but yeah, I think if CF had it to do over again, they wouldn't have installed it, or they would have installed a version of it that was more GP-friendly - like MF is. Intensity is not a bad thing, as MF proves. But clearly, there is something about the level of intensity on I-305 that is keeping people off of it, while they still enjoy riding coasters at KD like Volcano, and Dominator. I would go so far as to say, if KD had added an Intamin Hyper coaster that was taller than Apollo's Chariot, but similar to Superman at SF:NE, it would have much different ridership numbers than I-305 does.

Unlike some people, it seems, I don't think CF is infallible, and actually DO think they have made plenty of mistakes over the years in running their parks. Everybody makes mistakes, it's just a matter of learning from them. However, the mistake here, as I pointed out in my last post, was not adding a new, large, marquee coaster, but rather adding the specific coaster that they did.