Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening TR!

LOTS OF TRON!!!!!!! Ride Reviews and second day photos!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening TR!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:04 am

So I just came back from Shanghai Disney Resort, yes be jealous haters!

First of all, I would like to say a huge thank you to all the cast members and everyone working behind the scene. When I was inside of the park today, I was the one saying “Thank you Cast Member Chris and have a magical day” hundreds of times and make everybody happy.

The weather today was not really nice, It was rainy and extremely humid. But Disney handeled the bad weather pretty well.

First thing I can clearly tell about this park is that it is engineered to hold huge crowd. Walkways are massive and there are small paths separated by trees in main walkways so that people can still move around during parade. The park seems well prepared for the grand opening as all the cast members seem to be very confident about their roles in the park while there are still some of them not really used to being called “Cast Member” and called themselves staff because Chinese society is so used to the word “Staff” and “waiter”. I think the opening team did an excellent job.

Guests wise, since it is opening day, there were a lot of American and Japanese Disney fans. I almost had a Tokyo Disney flash back because I was camping outside of the park since 7:00 am and everybody around me is either Japanese or American. Chinese guests are significantly better behaved then those I saw at say Wanda and Happy Valley because whoever try to get opening day tickets is a fan of the Disney culture to each of their own levels. Aside from a really rude guest that almost got into fist fight with a cast member when he was trying to walk through the restricted area during firework, it is generally more acceptable than I expected.

Ride wise, I am leaving full reviews till later because I will be leaving for the park again in 2 hours (yes, no sleep between two Disney park days and camping outside 3 hours earlier). But let me just say I would take out Journey and Tower of Terror at Tokyo Disney Sea in exchange of something like Pirates at Shanghai Disney. I am more shocked than impressed. And Soarin’s new movie is a lot better than the old one, especially the new scents.

Operation wise, certain rides are going much slower than how Disney should be like, such as 7DMT and the seriously pointless canoe ride. But Soarin’, Tron and Pirates are running as fast as possible.

Please keep in mind that I don’t think this park is English friendly enough. There is no English on Fast Pass tickets, the subtitles for the pre-shows most rides are pretty hard to see and there is no English subtitles during shows. I’ve seen quite a lot of confused international guests. Cast members all speak enough English for their positions but sometimes very heavy accent might get in the way a bit.

Overall, Shanghai Disney feels like somewhere in between HongKong’s Disney Discount Edition and Tokyo’s Disney Deluxe Edition. Some of the rides are truly incredible but there are definitely some things to improve on as of now. I personally think for grand opening, it is already as good as it can be. It will be much better when the park gets to warm up a little bit more.

Shout out to the guy born in Lafayette, IN sitting next to me on Soarin’!
IMG_2312.JPG
Subway to Disney!
IMG_2313.JPG
This photo was taken on the first train to Disney resort. But later I found out only 3 of us were not cast members. phew!
IMG_2314.JPG
Shanghai Disneyland Resort Station!
IMG_2319.JPG
Here I am outside of the security check area. The group in front of me is from Tokyo and they've been camping out since 2:00am!
IMG_2322.JPG
4TH GUEST OF Shanghai Disneyland! Thank you cast members for taking this picture!
IMG_2328.JPG
Look at all those people that's gonna be behind me!
IMG_2332.JPG
First stop! Actually second stop. I ran to 7DMT for a 5 minutes stop and finished that thing because Pirates eats people like 3 B&M combined.
IMG_2333.JPG
Park is still empty as of now.
IMG_2334.JPG
Pirates station. The queue line is ridiculously long but one of the most detailed I've seen, especially the part closer to the loading station.
IMG_2336.JPG
Theming!
IMG_2337.JPG
The mountain with the adventure trail that does not allow any loose articles including phones and hats.
IMG_2338.JPG
Roaring Rapids is opened but without single rider line so I'm leaving it for tomorrow.
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2344.JPG
Tomorrowland!
IMG_2345.JPG
Nice sign with Jet Pack back there.
IMG_2346.JPG
By the way, the Soarin' FP is the first official fast pass of Shanghai Disneyland. I almost wanted to keep it but I still remember how painfully slow the line was at EPCOT.
IMG_2348.JPG
Yes they have Corn Dog, now please bring Dole Whip here!
IMG_2349.JPG
Back to Adventure Isle.
IMG_2351.JPG
Soarin's queue is outside of the waiting area now.
IMG_2352.JPG
Bye baby :(
IMG_2353.JPG
OK While EPCOT's Soarin' queue line has games and DCA's Soarin's queue has a photo of Amelia Earhart (BOILER UP!!), I think this is the best queue line of them all.
IMG_2357.JPG
So much nicer than metal boxes!
IMG_2358.JPG
New video without Patrick Warburton.
IMG_2359.JPG
Detail
IMG_2361.JPG
This Kimchi and roast beef wrap tastes so good!
IMG_2362.JPG
Yea still no
IMG_2363.JPG
Most pointless Disney ride in the history
IMG_2364.JPG
Yeah feels like I need a bottle of those after that ride.
IMG_2366.JPG
Pirates is over there
IMG_2367.JPG
Walkway designed to deal with huge parade crowd.
IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2369.JPG
Alice! This maze has more than just hidden Mickeys!
IMG_2372.JPG
This is the way to the new Toy Story expansion behind Tomorrowland. They already started construction.
IMG_2375.JPG
Tomorrowland from another direction
IMG_2380.JPG
TRON!!!
IMG_2385.JPG
Such a beauty!
IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG
Don't even argue with me, this is the best roller coaster station.
IMG_2398.JPG
It looks simple but the lightings are changing all the time!
IMG_2408.JPG
Yes!
IMG_2411.JPG
Time for Buzz!
IMG_2412.JPG
I GOT LEVEL 6! I usually suck at shooting dark rides but not this time!
IMG_2414.JPG
Hidden Mickey #1
IMG_2417.JPG
More detail
IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2419.JPG
Waiting to see the Pirates show at Fandango Theater
IMG_2426.JPG
This is where I had dinner. I love Tangled!
IMG_2428.JPG
Mongolian beef rice with blueberry grapefruit Slurpee and mango cheese cake
IMG_2430.JPG
Tron again because this is the coolest coaster I can think of.
IMG_2432.JPG
More TRON!
IMG_2433.JPG
This is the beautiful castle. The lighting changes slightly with When You Wish Upon a Star.
IMG_2438.JPG
Turkey leg! People are lining up for an hour just to get turkey legs because the Anaheim ones went viral in China a while ago.
IMG_2440.JPG
Tomorrowland at night
IMG_2441.JPG
Who waits till the end of the firework and leave the castle when you can watch it with a super lit (get it?) Vekoma flying above your head every 25 seconds?
IMG_2447.JPG
Stuck at the brake run for a while
IMG_2450.JPG
Yes!
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG
Leaving Tomorrowland now
IMG_2463.JPG
Went to the bottom of the castle to see the whole thing.
IMG_2464.JPG
Hidden Mickey #2
IMG_2466.JPG
Leaving the park after purchasing some grand opening souvenirs.
IMG_2469.JPG
Bye Shanghai Disneyland, see you in a few hours!
IMG_2471.JPG
Yup gotta take a selfie.
IMG_2475.PNG
This was my 10 hours at the park summary today. Much more to come later when I can actually catch a breath.
Last edited by gerstlaueringvar on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 am.

I'm 39 and can't find the Shift Key

Re: Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day TR!

Postby fatdaddy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 am

Awesome! Must ride Tron!
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 am

Super cool that you were one of the first visitors. Looks like the park is simply amazing. Pirates and Tron definitely are rides I want to ride one day. Great Trip Report.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby AJMouse » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:57 am

Awesome report, Tron looks absolutely awesome at night!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:57 am

Great trip report! Tron looks truly spectacular at night! Thanks for sharing! :)

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:06 pm

:lol: I love checking my Fitbit when I go to parks. I've never hit 30k though. The closest I've had is about 27k at Cedar Point.

Awesome update by the way! That park looks insane.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby toughmudder » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Awesome TR! I'm surprised that the park wasn't more packed for opening day... but perhaps the crowds were spread out due to the size. The wait time for Soarin' was still long, but it seems like some in the press were expecting mass hysteria on opening day - seemed very reasonable.

Any word on the AA for Roaring Rapids? Waiting patiently for video to see if it's fixed, and if it's as cool as the concept art made it out to be...

Postby jynx242 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos of your adventure!!!

And as I think everyone else is thinking....

Tron, Tron, Tron, Tron, Tron, Tron..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It truly looks spectacular and I'm glad it appears to be getting off on a good note.

Have fun on day 2

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby brneff99 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Congrats on making Opening Day and thanks for sharing with many of us who will never make it there...

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Yin, dude, I like you. You're a good guy. But I gotta be honest with you here, see, I can't respect you now. Not because you got to Shanghai Disney, no, that's not the reason. The reason is because you said you'd happily rip out Journey AND Tower at Tokyo to replace it with Pirates AKA Spider-Man On Water.

Now, nothing against this Pirates as I'm sure it's great, but c'mon, really? Disney's best ever ride (Journey) and (probably) second best ever ride (Tower) in exchange for that? Naw, dude, naw. You crazy.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!