Carowinds Announces The Largest Waterpark In The Carolinas
Carolina Harbor Coming Ashore In 2016
PR Newswire Carowinds
CHARLOTTE, N.C., Aug. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Carowinds is unveiling plans to bring a fresh and exciting Carolina coastal experience to guests with a historic waterpark expansion in 2016. The transformation is part of the park's commitment to celebrate Carowinds' heritage as the place where the Carolinas come together, creating an "aquatic playground" with thrilling new attractions, new amenities and a new coastal name - Carolina Harbor.
Carolina Harbor waterpark will be included with park admission and will offer guests relaxing moments of tranquility and refreshing thrills by the "shores," plus delivers a best day ever guest experience. The addition is the latest phase in a $50 million plus multi-year expansion at Carowinds, an effort kicked off by building the world's tallest and fastest giga coaster, Fury 325, as well as new park food offerings which are regionally relevant.
"We listened to our guests and have made a promise to bring them more family-friendly attractions," said Mike Fehnel, Carowinds vice president and general manager. "And we're happy to be delivering on our promise with the addition of Carolina Harbor – a guaranteed ultimate waterpark experience. Carowinds is growing by leaps and bounds and continues to put us on the map as the premier entertainment destination of the Carolinas."
Carolina Harbor will feature a combination of thrills, relaxation and family fun, including twice the number of water slides than the current Boomerang Bay.
Carolina Harbor will feature many of the park's current popular waterpark attractions, while introducing a variety of new ones:
Blackbeard's Revenge is a thrilling new six story tall water slide complex that features three exhilarating attractions and a total of six thrilling slides:
- Pirate's Plank will send guests plummeting down a nearly vertical free fall where the floor drops out from underneath.
- Cannonball Drop will twist and turn riders through an enclosed chute with four intense 360-degree turns.
- Captain's Curse shoots guests down a series of intense drops and turns.
A new two-acre family area will include many new activities to enjoy together:
- Seaside Splashworks, a multi-level children's water spray ground, will feature over 80 countless play elements including a giant 423-gallon tipping bucket.
- Kiddy Hawk Cove and Myrtle Turtle Beach are two areas specifically geared with the little squirts in mind. These toddler areas will include jets of water spraying up from the ground surrounded by a charming garden atmosphere.
- Surf Club Harbor will be our newest wave pool, creating up to six foot waves in 12 different wave patterns, mimicking the high surf of the Atlantic Ocean.
Carolina Harbor will also feature many new amenities:
- New Entrance – A separately gated entrance convenient for guests who wish to enter the waterpark only.
- New Restaurants – Harbor House a new restaurant featuring two 2,400-square foot outdoor seating patios. The restaurant will serve various Carolina favorites including BBQ and seafood. Schooners will be a full-service bar.
- Sand Volleyball Courts – New professional style sand volleyball courts will allow both casual and competitive play.
- Additional Plush Cabanas and Seating – Over 40 new cabanas will be added at both wave pools and the new family area. An additional 1,100 lounging chairs will also be available for guests to enjoy some fun in the sun.
- Upgraded Facilities – Current family changing areas will be upgraded. New restroom facilities and a bath house will be built.
Carowinds has recently been named one of the nation's top amusement parks by the Travel Channel and Fodor's Travel, and TripAdvisor's family travel site has named it one of the country's 10 Best Amusement Parks for Families.
The park will be sharing additional plans for the 2016 season later in the fall. To see Carolina Harbor illustrations, construction photos and more, visit carowinds.com/carolinaharbor.
In addition, guests can purchase a 2016 season pass or renew their current season pass for the lowest price of the year at carowinds.com.
some shots from the day . . .
You guys ready????
The townsfolks are out and looks like they're ready for a swim!
Guess we need to head this way . . . For a beach?
The Gm came and spoke some of this years success and SCarowinds.
immediately, John Taylor came and talked about some of next years offerings like the all new cirque show. Then some performers came out for a preview!
Then it was announced! Journey to the Iron Reef! Lol . . .
The sea-ret is out!
And that's it for 2016 . . .
Outside the concept art was out on display but I'm here for the food! The park has these snazzy plate for us to dine on!
Closer view . . .
A lot of what was served will be featured in the new restaurant!
Hats off to carowinds new chef who has transformed the entire menu in less than a year!
Well, that's it! The 2016 season is gonna be as big as the 2015 because those Carolina folks love them some water parks!
Last edited by jarmor
on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:01 pm.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015