TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

• 2 weeks later...
The fact that I305 and Fury are still behind MF in the top 10 steel coasters is a catastrophe.

I think Fury 325 certainly deserves to make the top 10 steel in the golden ticket awards. It's a really solid fun ride full of awesome elements. Out of the 3 giga coasters I have ridden I would rank them like this:

#1 MF at night in the front seat (very slight edge over i305 because it was such a euphoric experience)

#2 i305 any seat any time

#3 MF any seat any time

#4 Fury 325

Like my ranking implies, MF is only better than i305 in one circumstance...but Nitro, AC, and Intimidator 232 all placing above i305 and Maverick?!?!?

I reckon Carowinds will advertise Fury and Intimidator being ranked #4 and #7 respectively.

Did anyone go to the park this weekend? What were crowds like?

The fact that I305 and Fury are still behind MF in the top 10 steel coasters is a catastrophe.

I think Fury 325 certainly deserves to make the top 10 steel in the golden ticket awards. It's a really solid fun ride full of awesome elements. Out of the 3 giga coasters I have ridden I would rank them like this:

#1 MF at night in the front seat (very slight edge over i305 because it was such a euphoric experience)

#2 i305 any seat any time

#3 MF any seat any time

#4 Fury 325

Like my ranking implies, MF is only better than i305 in one circumstance...but Nitro, AC, and Intimidator 232 all placing above i305 and Maverick?!?!?

I reckon Carowinds will advertise Fury and Intimidator being ranked #4 and #7 respectively.

Did anyone go to the park this weekend? What were crowds like?

Yeah parks always use this poll for marketing. It's definitely gonna happen.

^ I was at Scarowinds Saturday night and while leaving at park close a large fight broke out just outside the North Gate. We were about minute too late to see what actually happened, but saw a crowd of people running to take a look at the fight. Law enforcement quickly came and we heard what sounded like tasing and a mass of people running from where the fight was. Was there another fight in addition to this one?

Also while waiting for Cornstalkers a group of like 20 people decide to line jump and meet up with two of their friends who were like 3 people ahead of us. They were called out by park staff, and when confronted they caused quite a scene saying they waited and weren't moving etc. They stood there and blocked the attraction causing it to close for a good 15 minutes while this situation was dealt with by security.

I attend at least once Scarowinds every year, and am sure this happens often - but this was awful behavior. It makes me wonder how long it will be before the park starts requiring chaperones to accompany minors.

On a brighter note Sunday was a great day to be at the park. Very light crowds and beautiful weather. Longest lines I saw was for Fury and Nighthawk, and those were only down the station stairs.

^ I was at Scarowinds Saturday night and while leaving at park close a large fight broke out just outside the North Gate. We were about minute too late to see what actually happened, but saw a crowd of people running to take a look at the fight. Law enforcement quickly came and we heard what sounded like tasing and a mass of people running from where the fight was. Was there another fight in addition to this one?

Also while waiting for Cornstalkers a group of like 20 people decide to line jump and meet up with two of their friends who were like 3 people ahead of us. They were called out by park staff, and when confronted they caused quite a scene saying they waited and weren't moving etc. They stood there and blocked the attraction causing it to close for a good 15 minutes while this situation was dealt with by security.

I attend at least once Scarowinds every year, and am sure this happens often - but this was awful behavior. It makes me wonder how long it will be before the park starts requiring chaperones to accompany minors.

On a brighter note Sunday was a great day to be at the park. Very light crowds and beautiful weather. Longest lines I saw was for Fury and Nighthawk, and those were only down the station stairs.

I don't know which is more stupid...the people fighting or the people running towards the fight to watch it.

Unfortunately, the fighting isn't relegated to just Carowinds. There have been other discussions in TPR about the increasing number of brawls at amusement parks and fairs/festivals in recent years.

Although I don't have kids, it would truly be disheartening to have children exposed to this in what is supposed to be a neutral, safe and family-friendly environment. This type of aggressive behavior is what is most likely to drive the installation of metal detectors, bag inspections, etc at parks - which we know adds long waits at the park gates during opening.

Truly pathetic to see this when you can go to Oktoberfest in Munich where literally 100,000 people are drinking all day, yet you very rarely see any type of violence or fighting during the entire event - everyone is just having fun instead. What a novel concept.

Just out of curiosity what was the outcome with security for the line jumpers? Were they ejected from the park, or just the line?

Okay, so i recently won 4 free tickets to carowinds and i just started looking at hours. On saturdays its 10-5:30, then 7-12?? So do i need different tickets for the different event? To me it seems pretty messed up if they make you leave to have to come back in for a couple hours. Any advice is welcome, i haven't been to carowinds since it was a paramount park still

Fury 325 brings another accolade for Carowinds, revenue boost for owner

The most talked-about Carowinds attraction in recent memory has earned the Charlotte theme park yet another high-profile accolade, this time landing among Amusement Today’s Golden Ticket Award winners.

The Fury 325 roller coaster, touted as one of the tallest and fastest in the world, was named “Best New Ride” on the annual list, which highlights parks around the globe.

“It’s the first time in Carowinds history we’ve been recognized with a Golden Ticket Award by Amusement Today,” said Mike Fehnel, general manager, in a prepared statement. “Fury 325 is a signature coaster that will forever define the skyline at Carowinds, and our team is very proud of what we have achieved together this season.”

Additionally, Carowinds was the only park in the world to have two of its rides (Fury 325 at No. 4 and the Intimidator at No. 7) ranked among the industry publication's top 10 Best Steel Roller Coasters of 2015, according to the park’s news release.

The Fury, which has given more than 1.5 million rides since opening in March, has been highlighted by such well-known media outlets as The Wall Street Journal, Businessweek and Condé Nast Traveler, to name a few.

It has also provided a revenue boost for Carowinds owner Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. (NYSE:FUN). The Sandusky Register, based near Cedar Fair’s Ohio headquarters, reported Friday that the company’s preliminary net revenue through Labor Day hit $1.2 billion, a record-breaking figure and a 7% increase over last year.

In addition, Cedar Fair has seen attendance across all of its parks increase 5% so far this season. The newspaper notes Cedar Fair’s investments in Carowinds’ Fury as well as new rides at Knott’s Berry Farm and Cedar Point have been a driving factor in its improving performance.

“Guests stay longer and spend more because they see value,” Stacy Frole, vice president of investor relations for Cedar Fair, told the Sandusky newspaper.

And as the Charlotte Business Journal reported last month, the company is not finished with investing in Carowinds. At a splashy announcement in August of a major expansion and renovation of its waterpark set to open next summer, Fehnel said a second wave of investment from Cedar Fair, beyond the $50 million already being poured into the multiyear makeover that included the Fury, was prompted by increased attendance at the local park.

Carowinds is the Charlotte region’s top tourist attraction, drawing 1.9 million visitors in 2014. The 400-acre park straddles the North Carolina-South Carolina state line near Interstate 77.

Source

With 1.9 million visitors last year, Fury should've easily boosted it to 2.0 this season.

Does anyone know if they have given a specific date for the second 2016 announcement?

They haven't set a date yet or if they even will considering California Great Adventure didn't have an announcement. They just made the what's new in 2016 link go live. It seems like the same technology carowinds hinted with the whole plants vs zombie thing.