Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 953: New Kentucky Flyer construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby VF15 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:04 am

RMC never fails to amaze me with their creations, and Storm Chaser is no exception. Looks very intense with lots of airtime. Next time I make a long coaster trip, I'll definitely have to make Kentucky Kingdom one of my stops just for this. :)
2016 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing
2017 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing

2018 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Steel Venom/Scrambler
2019 Cedar Point Ride Operator - Gemini (tentative)

Top Ten: Steel Vengeance - Fury 325 - Twisted Timbers - Intimidator 305 - Lightning Rod - Maverick - Millennium Force - Top Thrill Dragster - Banshee - Goliath (SFGAm)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Koasterking48 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:08 am

Since it is I-box, it'll technically be RMC's first entirely steel coaster.

Edit again: wait the website is saying that it'll have a layer of wood?
Last edited by Koasterking48 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 am.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:08 am

http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/comingsoon/storm-chaser/

KENTUCKY KINGDOM ANNOUNCES ITS MOST EXCITING COASTER YET! STORM CHASER TO DEBUT IN 2016

Louisville, Kentucky, July 20, 2015: Kentucky Kingdom announces the upcoming addition of Storm Chaser, its fifth roller coaster and second new coaster since the theme park reopened 14 months ago.

Kentucky Kingdom is recognized within the amusement industry for its diverse mix of thrilling coasters, which include Thunder Run, the classic wooden coaster ranked among the top “woodies” in the world; T3, its newly revamped and reopened suspended looping coaster; Lightning Run, a one-of-a-kind hyper coaster introduced in 2014 and rated among the top 25 steel coasters in the world by Amusement Today; and the Roller Skater, a whimsically themed family coaster and a favorite with all ages.

With the objective of offering its guests something truly unique, the park commissioned Rocky Mountain Construction to design and build its fifth and newest coaster.  According to John Mulcahy, the park’s Director of Marketing and Communication, “Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) is on the leading edge of coaster design and engineering, admired by both coaster enthusiasts and industry professionals.”

Mulcahy went on to say, “What makes Storm Chaser so special is that it will have RMC’s unique and patented iBox track, which will rest on wood, creating the “feel” of a wooden coaster, but will be supported by a steel superstructure. This yields a ride that’s smooth as glass, yet also very fast and intense. The iBox track also allows for the addition of exciting elements not normally associated with traditional wooden coasters.”

Some might refer to Storm Chaser as a hybrid coaster, but it’s actually an entirely new category of coaster. There are only five other parks in the world to have a coaster with the revolutionary iBox track and they are the marquee attractions at some of the largest parks in the world, including Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia, California), Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio, Texas), and Six Flags New England (Agawam, Massachusetts).

“These other iBox coasters have gotten rave reviews and we’re very proud to be joining their ranks,” remarked Mulcahy. Storm Chaser will give our guests a coaster experience like no other in the region.”

Mulcahy continued, “Storm Chaser, standing 100 feet tall at its highest point, will be the first coaster in America to feature a barrel roll drop from a 10-story lift hill, not to mention a near-perpendicular 78-degree angle of descent.  But that’s just the beginning. That first roll is followed by a stall dive, a tip-out corner, airtime hills, a twisted airtime drop, and even a corkscrew, features that simply can’t be offered on traditional wooden coasters.”

Mulcahy confirmed that Storm Chaser will replace the coaster formerly known as Twisted Twins. Work on this project has already begun and Storm Chaser will be ready for its first riders when the park opens in the spring of 2016.

Ed Hart, President and CEO of Kentucky Kingdom, noted, “Since we’re all about creating exceptional thrills at Kentucky Kingdom, Storm Chaser fits the bill. Storm Chaser would normally cost as much as $15 million all-in, but we’re saving money by using some of the existing superstructure from Twisted Twins. However, because of the new configuration, taller lift hill, and many other innovative features, we are essentially redesigning and building a new coaster.”  Hart went on to ask, “When’s the last time you dropped ten stories while doing a barrel roll?”

Fred Grubb, co-founder and “chief innovator” of RMC, added, “We are thrilled to have been selected for this project and to help introduce our special brand of coaster design to Kentucky. Storm Chaser will be one of the most exciting coasters we’ve ever built!”

Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay is open daily through August 11th, the weekend of August 15th and 16th. Kentucky Kingdom (only) operates as part of the Kentucky State Fair August 20 through 30 (see website for alternate operating hour and ticketing). Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay then reopen for Labor Day weekend and select weekends during the month of September (check park schedule via kentuckykingdom.com).
Stormchaser.JPG
SC2.JPG
Storm-Chaser-140DegreeStall.png
Storm-Chaser-CorkscrewDowndrop.png
Storm-Chaser-EndTurnaround.png
Storm-Chaser-TipOutSpiralEnd.png
Storm-Chaser-TrickTrackDoubleUp.png
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:23 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JonnyRCT3 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:09 am

Koasterking48 wrote:Since it is I-box, it'll technically be RMC's first entirely steel coaster.

It's stated in the press release that it uses some of TT's structure.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby kcurry11 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:11 am

In a technical sense, yes. But because the support is steel and not the normal wood RMC works with, it does not become a 'hybrid'. It is such an interesting super structure on this. Steel is a lot harder to work with then wood, so I am guessing not much is going to be added in terms of changing the footprint of the coaster dramatically.
1.Maverick 2.Banshee 3.Millennium Force 4.Goliath (SFGAM) 5.Diamondback 6.The Beast 7.Kraken 8.Montu 9.Dragons Challenge 10.Magnum XL200

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:12 am

Wow, that layout looks incredible! I love that RMC is putting some new elements into this coaster and not just copying their other creations.
Coaster Count: 211 Last Coaster: Twisted Colossus
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:16 am

Sweet. Two excellent reasons to get to Kentucky Kingdom now!

Now if only they'd blow up T3...
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby DaMarkSta » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:18 am

This looks great! I can't wait to ride this next season.

Postby kcurry11 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:18 am

Hold up. This is the first I-Box outside of Six Flags correct?
1.Maverick 2.Banshee 3.Millennium Force 4.Goliath (SFGAM) 5.Diamondback 6.The Beast 7.Kraken 8.Montu 9.Dragons Challenge 10.Magnum XL200

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:21 am

Figured it would be a long time before I got back to Mexico to ride a barrel roll drop again. Now I'll have one just over two hours down I-71! Can't wait for more coaster enthusiasts to experience it -- it was probably my favorite part of Medusa.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!