SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:58 pm

coasterbill wrote:In their defense, the gusts that came through yesterday caught a lot of people off guard.

That would be a shameful defense for a park operator, because it's literally part of their job to know the forecast and not operate rides in situations where the winds are expected to become too strong for safe operations.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:10 pm

The forecasts aren't always right. You said yourself that they only predicted guests up to 30 mph. Wind speeds were likely double that so (if true) they totally blew the forecast. If you have cells moving through and you can track their wind speeds as they approach then sure... they screwed up. If there's a pop up storm or gust that comes out of nowhere then there's only so much you can do.

I'm not going to play Monday morning quarterback because I don't know what happened but based on the forecast you gave nobody should be jumping to conclusions and rushing to blame the park. I'd expect any park to run a Sky Ride with a forecast of "15-20 MPH with gusts of up to 30 MPH" if they haven't yet exceeded their wind limit.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:23 pm

I would just add to this that I highly doubt Sea World has their own weather station/meteorologist on staff, so like coasterbill mentioned, they can only go off what they are given from their weather service of choice.

The weather has been "crazy" by southern california standards in the last month---there was even a day recently where a 20% chance of rain turned into a large thunderstorm that was definitely not in the forecast.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm

The Great Zo wrote:
coasterbill wrote:In their defense, the gusts that came through yesterday caught a lot of people off guard.

That would be a shameful defense for a park operator, because it's literally part of their job to know the forecast and not operate rides in situations where the winds are expected to become too strong for safe operations.

Please let me talk to everyone about weather forecasters continued amazing accuracy!!! :lmao: ;) :lmao:

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:08 pm

SharkTums wrote: Love the 15 year old boy and his dad that were freezing cold and scared the gondola was going to drop at any minute. :roll:

Update on the honest-to-god adult and his teenage son who almost froze to death: Not only was it almost 50 degrees but every cabin was equipped with blankets under the seats and ride crews have an intercom on the towers that they used to tell them this. :lol:

The father is a jackass and is setting an embarrassing example for his son.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby monotone » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:11 am

Anyone have a guess at the odds the Sky Ride is open this weekend? Specifically Friday since rain is expected the next two days.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 am

From a mechanical standpoint the ride is technically ready to operate and has been since last Thursday night. I don't know when they plan to reopen it though.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby vicarpi » Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am

Progress of the construction of Tidal Twister. Opening 24 may.

Source: La Mar De Parques - LMDP

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm

They've posted a video of Tidal Twister testing on their instagram for those who haven't seen

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxLIrBbBgNs/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 15, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm really intrigued to see how this tracks after Harley Quinn was a loud rattly mess.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!