TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm here at DW and waiting for LR to open. They just evacuated the queue. They're saying it could be down for about an hour.

They cleared the queue for a projected one hour delay? I'm sorry... I have Kingda Ka in my home park and I find this adorable

I'm here at DW and waiting for LR to open. They just evacuated the queue. They're saying it could be down for about an hour.

They cleared the queue for a projected one hour delay? I'm sorry... I have Kingda Ka in my home park and I find this adorable

Hits so close to home. My first time at Great Adventure in 2011 we waited through a 3 hour delay plus a one and a half hour wait for Kingda Ka amd they never once evacuated the queue area.

Back at the park today for the last day of my vacation. LR is currently running 2 trains but they have rows 8 and 9 closed off for both trains. Not sure why.

Good enough for me, I'd like a last row ride but I'm not crying over it. I'll be driving up there tomorrow and staying until Friday... God I hope it stays open. I've been putting this trip off all summer but this week is our last chance.

I went Saturday around 4pm. Lightning Rod went down 10 minutes in to waiting in a 30 minute line. They cleared the que and after about 15 minutes reopened the ride. Great ride with 2 trains running. Went back around 9pm for a night ride and they only had 1 train running. 45 minute wait and around 9:15 it went down again. They kept everyone in the que and around 9:30 said they needed to do one test run and we would start again. Well we got the opportunity to hear the whole fireworks show and then they said clear the que because they couldn't get it back up. I was ok due to the fact I have road it 6 times since I live about 45 minutes away I can come back, but some did not take it well. The folks at the exits to the park got an ear full from some park guest. It's sad that they are in a no win situation. If they keep it closed till they get it fixed then no one gets to ride. If they open it up with issues they piss people off that wait in the hot que and might not get a ride. Someone said they cleared the que yesterday at least 5 times. Anytime they work on it they clear que. Really not sure why except they don't want people seeing what they do.

From what I've personally experienced, the queue gets cleared because the maintenance workers don't want anyone bothering them. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't clear it just because they don't want people seeing what they fix... it's hard to fix something when they have people complaining about the park supposedly covering something up. Just my two cents.

From what I've personally experienced, the queue gets cleared because the maintenance workers don't want anyone bothering them Just my two cents.

Well with my two cents and your two cents we have four. Anyone else have any cents. Lol

I went Saturday around 4pm. Lightning Rod went down 10 minutes in to waiting in a 30 minute line. They cleared the que and after about 15 minutes reopened the ride. Great ride with 2 trains running. Went back around 9pm for a night ride and they only had 1 train running. 45 minute wait and around 9:15 it went down again. They kept everyone in the que and around 9:30 said they needed to do one test run and we would start again. Well we got the opportunity to hear the whole fireworks show and then they said clear the que because they couldn't get it back up. I was ok due to the fact I have road it 6 times since I live about 45 minutes away I can come back, but some did not take it well. The folks at the exits to the park got an ear full from some park guest. It's sad that they are in a no win situation. If they keep it closed till they get it fixed then no one gets to ride. If they open it up with issues they piss people off that wait in the hot que and might not get a ride. Someone said they cleared the que yesterday at least 5 times. Anytime they work on it they clear que. Really not sure why except they don't want people seeing what they do.

I was in the night que as well, maybe had 2 or 3 dispatches before getting on, and then the breakdown. I was ok because i had ridden earlier, was hyped about a night ride though. The only thing that kinda made me mad was the false sense of hope when they said they were gonna send a test run and we'd be good to go, then just nope everyone clear the que. Oh well, during the christmas season night rides start at like 5 o'clock. Hopefully the ride is more stable by then.

Back at the park today for the last day of my vacation. LR is currently running 2 trains but they have rows 8 and 9 closed off for both trains. Not sure why.

Good enough for me, I'd like a last row ride but I'm not crying over it. I'll be driving up there tomorrow and staying until Friday... God I hope it stays open. I've been putting this trip off all summer but this week is our last chance.

Rows 8 and 9 are blocked, but rows 10,11 and 12 are all open.

As far as the que clearing at Dollywood, generally they are pretty quick to clear a que for any ride. In my experience however it is generally the decision of maintenance to clear que or not. That is why I was surprised they let us wait in the que during the 45 minute LR breakdown Friday night. They did however clear all from the top platform. Everyone had to move to the 2nd level of the que.

My first visit ever to Dollywood this evening.

I arrived around 5, but recent lighting meant all rides were closed, and on top of that LR was closed for technical reasons.

So through till about 8 I did the other coasters.

Then I saw LR run with passengers! Yay. Managed 4 laps till closing time at 10.

The back is definitely the best, and this is well and truly #1 material.

The best way to sum it up is the intensity/airtime/relentlessness of Skyrush, but a far more comfortable ride. The launch is just showing off

It beats the beast for night rides. Youre out there in the woods, and apart for some light from the car park spilling over the first drop its complete darkness...no floodlights.

20160807_203049.thumb.jpg.59f134fb44ea8afb86ee383f3d3ad4aa.jpg

I have high hopes that these problems with LR are just first season hiccups and that it can run consistently and reliably from 2017 on. I feel bad for all you folks that made a trip to DW when its not something you can often do and did not get to ride it. I have not been to DW in 14 years so I would definitely be disappointed if it were to happen to me.

Someone said they had to close it down today because someone had broken one of the gates. If that's true, this is why you don't lean on the entrance gates. I see kids leaning on them, swinging from them and everything. I'm talking about the ones that actually open and close.

The gate wasn't technically broken.

It's hard to get the truth out of the people working the rides as they are told not to give out a lot of information about breakdowns. However, after several hours in line and the fact that the attendants are over these issues that have plagued LR since it's inception I got some answers.

There is nothing wrong with the ride itself, nothing. There was a recall on a part, but aside from that, nothing. The issue with the gates is that this particular set is EXTREMELY sensitive, basically if someone as much as presses on the gate and it moves more than an inch the computer thinks that someone has came through the safety gate and the ride comes to a complete halt. They are working to get this issue resolved, but it doesn't sound like something that couldn't be done over the course of a couple of days by just replacing the gate system or modifying it.

Do any local grocery stores sell discounted tickets? Also if anyone could answer how much is regular parking and preferred parking? We are headed there in the morning from lafollet Tenn.

Do any local grocery stores sell discounted tickets? Also if anyone could answer how much is regular parking and preferred parking? We are headed there in the morning from lafollet Tenn.

Or you could park at Patriots Park for FREE and ride the trolley in for $0.50/person. Drops you off right at the front gate and you don't have to hassle with the huge parking lot. LINK