TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Well Google knows all simple Google search shows this lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

At this point I think Dollywood should just close LR for the rest of the season, fix the issues, and market it as an "A new coaster for 2017!" And try the whole "Grand Opening" thing again next spring.

At the park today… Lightning rod still not open… Zero activity… Nobody outside answering questions. This sucker is as closed as it gets.

I guess that would indicate they are waiting on another part or fix?

Who knows. It's a complex ride and there's a lot going on here. The rumor now is that the canuter valves are all screwed up, the LIM's are going through LIM fluid like nobody's business and the PLC is running through the Pokemon GO server before relaying back to the ride units so it could really be anything.

Well Google knows all simple Google search shows this lol

If something is closed for an extended period of time, it will always show "Permanently Closed." Just like when you look up amusement parks in the off season, they show the same thing.

Ironically enough, Pete Owens was on a local news station tonight (Fox43) mentioning Lightning Rod by saying," we're hopeful that the ride will open again this season. "

This SEASON.

He didn't say "soon"....or "this summer".....no no, he definitely said "this season".

So take that for what you will...

Edited by ASE

Here is the link to the article.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/dollywood-extending-its-2016-season/279832634

Good news park attendance is up at both park!

Here is the sad part

"We just happen to be closed right now as they're working on some things," he said. "But we're hopeful that the ride will open again this season, have an opportunity for more families to ride it."

Why not just change the launch to a fast chain lift already?

I'm sure that's more involved than we think, and remember the trains don't have chain dogs so they would need to be changed pretty dramatically to remove the equipment for a LIM launch and add add chain dogs / anti rollback equipment. Plus they have a lot of money into this launch technology already.

Then again I have no clue what would be involved with that or what's actually wrong with the ride so I'm not going to speculate too much. I'm already speculating more than I like to.

If something is closed for an extended period of time, it will always show "Permanently Closed." Just like when you look up amusement parks in the off season, they show the same thing.

One of my home parks, Enchanted Forest, always gets into a tizzy over this and tells their fans to request it get changed. They're understandably afraid that people will think it's true.

Why not just change the launch to a fast chain lift already?

Then again I have no clue what would be involved with that or what's actually wrong with the ride so I'm not going to speculate too much.

That's the biggest part. So many assume it's the launch yet we have zero evidence that's the issue.

While it's likely the issue, it may well be something else.

IIRC the reason for the downtime is something to do with some safety feature on the trains themselves.

Anyhow, if for some unworldly reason the launch has to be removed, the mechanical device(s) that replace it would need to have the same exit velocity of the launch-lfit. This would ensure that the coaster rides to the correct accelerations it was designed for. Otherwise it could end up being the most uncomfortable new coaster since Thunderbolt. Jolting pain on a lateral airtime hill could prove back-breaking.

IIRC the reason for the downtime is something to do with some safety feature on the trains themselves.

Anyhow, if for some unworldly reason the launch has to be removed, the mechanical device(s) that replace it would need to have the same exit velocity of the launch-lfit. This would ensure that the coaster rides to the correct accelerations it was designed for. Otherwise it could end up being the most uncomfortable new coaster since Thunderbolt. Jolting pain on a lateral airtime hill could prove back-breaking.

Or the Apex of the lift hill could be increased to enable the train to match the speed it currently reaches on the drop. Transforming the Dolly humps into a higher, fast cable, single lift hill, might be a better ride for all we know.

^That's true, but the entire drop and pullout might have to be re-engineered and entirely redone. There's a lot we don't know about this and there's a lot of calculations that go in g-force measurements so it's hard to say if it's possible or would even make a difference.

I was here today! Made one loop around the park, hit all coasters in under and hr and half.. wanted the Chicken truck but it was closed

Lots of technical problems all over the park though! Wild Eagles music wasn't playing the speakers were just popping.. none of the characters talked in blazing fury and the sounds in other parts of the ride could barely be heard.. of course Lightening Rod was closed..

Surprisingly all of mystery mine was working great! Even the fog at the beginning! First time I have seen that fog in a while.. they also had all 7 cars running on it, I guess they had planned on a busy day.. it wasn't very busy

All in all good quick trip but it would be nice to get their speakers and audio fixed in places!