TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I think that if it is a problem with the launch system they should rip the existing system out and call up premier, or any company with reliable launch systems of this type, and have them install a new system. It might cost more at one time but in the long run it'll save them money and headaches and get the ride open again.

I think that if it is a problem with the launch system they should rip the existing system out and call up premier, or any company with reliable launch systems of this type, and have them install a new system. It might cost more at one time but in the long run it'll save them money and headaches and get the ride open again.

That assumes it can reasonably be done.

If they are relying on the capacitor bank power source from Velocity Magnetics to make it a viable (due to power system constraints of small town in the mountains) changing may not be an option.

How much space would be needed for an alternative storage system? Does DW have a place to put such a system?

^ They still have one as a backup, but the flywheels usually work fine.

I was out of the loop during construction of Thunderbird. What system does it use for its launch?

LSM powered by a flywheel. It would've been drawing too much power at once, so they decided to use the flywheels to just be able to slowly charge up for the launch. They have one big generator (last year it was 2 further down the hill) there as back up systems in case the flywheels were to fail. I think this is mainly because it's the star attraction. They can't really afford for it to go down, or they'll have plenty of angry guests in the park, since it's the only steel coaster there.

I was out of the loop during construction of Thunderbird. What system does it use for its launch?

LSM powered by a flywheel. It would've been drawing too much power at once, so they decided to use the flywheels to just be able to slowly charge up for the launch. They have one big generator (last year it was 2 further down the hill) there as back up systems in case the flywheels were to fail. I think this is mainly because it's the star attraction. They can't really afford for it to go down, or they'll have plenty of angry guests in the park, since it's the only steel coaster there.

Dang. When B&M builds something, they overbuild it. lol. Interesting. I assume it's been effective as I haven't heard much about downtime.

Backup systems don't constantly run and emit smoke like that. They were using it as a primary draw last year. You could see the engines belch smoke when the trains would take off.

Premier doesn't design their own launch system either. All of their coasters' launches since Sky Rocket have been designed by Intrasys and they use flywheels. I'm not sure if an expensive new German launch system is financially viable.

Lightning Rod is open today! Waiting in line now for my 2nd ride. Still not sure where to rank it besides saying it's up there. Great ride!

Come on you know we need all the details. How many trains? Exactly how long has it been running? Has it broken down yet? How long is the line?

Just kidding of course... I'm glad to hear it's running, even though I'm not there to ride it. I guess we might have to make a return trip to the park to get on this damn ride.

Have fun!

Good grief man I was just there Monday haha. I think I may try to find a random day to go within the next two weeks as hopefully it'll stay open LOL. Sheesh, trying to get a ride on this thing this season has been a complete crapshoot for me.

Good grief man I was just there Monday haha. I think I may try to find a random day to go within the next two weeks as hopefully it'll stay open LOL. Sheesh, trying to get a ride on this thing this season has been a complete crapshoot for me.

Are you actually from the Atlanta Georgia area? If the ride is actually open I would like to go with other coaster enthusiasts if anyone is down for a meetup!

^Haha it's all good.

Nashville park meet up....oh yeah. Some day? Polercoaster? Oprywalk? Anything? Williamson county fair this weekend haha.

I have my DW trip planned for next weekend, hoping I waited late enough in the season. Either way I'll have a great time, I love that park. Glad to see it's running. Nashville is just far enough away to make a day trip difficult. I've done it plenty of times, but it's not my favorite.

Lightning Rod is open today! Waiting in line now for my 2nd ride. Still not sure where to rank it besides saying it's up there. Great ride!

Come on you know we need all the details. How many trains? Exactly how long has it been running? Has it broken down yet? How long is the line?

Just kidding of course... I'm glad to hear it's running, even though I'm not there to ride it. I guess we might have to make a return trip to the park to get on this damn ride.

Have fun!

2PM here now... Still running! 2 trains are going... The 2nd train stacks almost every time but it only waits a minute or 2. I'd say 3-4 minute dispatches. 3 rides so far. Front twice and back once. The pacing of the ride is just awesome. The quad-down provides a lot of airtime. IMO, I 'd place it 2nd among RMC's, nicely between NTAG and Outlaw Run.

Are you actually from the Atlanta Georgia area? If the ride is actually open I would like to go with other coaster enthusiasts if anyone is down for a meetup!

I'm from the Atlanta area and definitely down for a meet up.

I'm from the Atlanta area and definitely down for a meet up.

If it makes it into next week I'll likely go next weekend.