TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 606: Velocicoaster Officially Opening June 10!

I'm impressed that Universal was able to pull off a food event. I always love parks that do this sort of thing, but for a real first attempt it looks like they did a good job! Thanks for all the photos and reviews!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two weekends ago I made my way back to the Universal Orlando Resort to experience the new Mardi Gras offerings, but also to get a chance to see Velocicoaster testing. I'll have photos from Mardi Gras

It’s official: On Thursday, June 10, thrill-seekers will have the opportunity to soar 155 feet in the air and catapult up to 70 mph alongside a ferocious Velociraptor at Universal Orlando!  

Imagine having no desire to ride a perfectly decent coaster lol.

Posted Images

It’s official: On Thursday, June 10, thrill-seekers will have the opportunity to soar 155 feet in the air and catapult up to 70 mph alongside a ferocious Velociraptor at Universal Orlando!

170027250_10159247182313566_9207024295196820735_n.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome!

I'm interested to hear if this will open with a conventional queue or a virtual queue like Hagrid's has been using.  I'm thinking they may use the latter.  I'd want to make sure I can actually ride this a few times in a day before booking a trip.

• Like 2

^My thoughts exactly.

I am moving to Florida, so I'm not too worried about riding it immediately, but my family will be with me during that week of June. Of course they announced the opening that week. I'd really like to attend opening day but... is that a death sentence? lol

Glad its official! That said, I will be missing this when I go to FL in May :( Oh well, next year I suppose.

1 hour ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Awesome!

I'm interested to hear if this will open with a conventional queue or a virtual queue like Hagrid's has been using.  I'm thinking they may use the latter.  I'd want to make sure I can actually ride this a few times in a day before booking a trip.

I would think they will go this route.  Rumors say Hagrids is going on express pass soon.

I'm so happy this is happening after our next trip. It looks great and I can't wait to ride it in the fall but also I would rather shoot myself in the face than go there opening weekend and it was looking like a distinct possibility.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

I'm so happy this is happening after our next trip. It looks great and I can't wait to ride it in the fall but also I would rather shoot myself in the face than go there opening weekend and it was looking like a distinct possibility.

Fair that would've been pretty gnarly. Guess later in the year I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of those dirt cheap Orlando flights. 

At least with the months of testing (and the fact this ride has a more conventional block system), I have to think this ride will be more reliable than Hagrid's.

I was planning on being down in Florida for my anniversary the following week, so while it won't be opening day, I imagine it'll still be pulling crowds for the opening rush.

Yes, it should be a lot better aside the usual teething problems. The amount of technology on Hagrids is pretty mindblowing even ignoring the eleventy billion launches that it has.

9 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

I'd really like to attend opening day but... is that a death sentence? lol

8 hours ago, coasterbill said:

...I can't wait to ride it in the fall but also I would rather shoot myself in the face than go there opening weekend...

correct breaking bad GIF

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, tndank said:

It's fun.

I get why some people would like it; mainly locals who want the festive atmosphere and know a bunch of their friends in the hobby will be there and they can hang out all day while standing in line and knowing that they'll probably ride like one thing all day but you're not really there to ride much and you're okay with that. If I were traveling to be there I would hate it. Also, personally if I were a local I wouldn't care about that at all and would just wait 3 weeks and ride it on a random Wednesday morning or something but if that's your thing, hey... you do you.

If I lived nearby I would either avoid the park like the plague that day or I would go to the studios park in the morning and walk-on every single ride for a few hours since you can basically never do that before getting the hell out of there.

• Like 1

Exactly. It can be fun.  I'm not flying across the country to stand in line for 6 hours but if I was local or in the area, why not?  If someone wants to ride it, waiting 3-5 hours seems better than weeks or months for it slow down.  If you are buying a daily ticket to do this, I think you're slightly crazy. 

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I get why some people would like it; mainly locals who want the festive atmosphere and know a bunch of their friends in the hobby will be there and they can hang out all day while standing in line and knowing that they'll probably ride like one thing all day but you're not really there to ride much and you're okay with that. If I were traveling to be there I would hate it. Also, personally if I were a local I wouldn't care about that at all and would just wait 3 weeks and ride it on a random Wednesday morning or something but if that's your thing, hey... you do you.

If I lived nearby I would either avoid the park like the plague that day or I would go to the studios park in the morning and walk-on every single ride for a few hours since you can basically never do that before getting the hell out of there.

I feel like most locals with at least half a brain and most enthusiasts would avoid the park during that grand opening rush. The majority of those that day will be the 'Firsties!' crowd and I'm alright skipping a few weeks rather than them desperately posting their queue updates every 10 minutes on Instagram for bragging rights.

• Like 1

It's funny because my family was planning our Florida trip for that week already. In fact, we may have scheduled Universal for that day regardless - before they even announced the opening day. I would definitely never travel just to attend opening day - like Coasterbill, there are other things I'd rather do...

11 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Yeah, I dunno. I don't even plan to go to Great Adv right away when Jersey Devil opens and that's an hour away.

We did that one time with Twisted Timbers, but I did that reluctantly. It was kind of chilly/overcast and everyone who was there was there for that so we did I305 and Volcano and hung out with friends and got FL+ anyway riding TT a bunch so it worked out. But these like 3/4/6+ hour waits for something... efffff that. It's a brand new ride, it's not going anywhere. I'll ride it when you psychos are through with it.

12 hours ago, Garet said:

^ You and I have very different definitions of fun.

Basically.

• Like 3

It's not something I'd do, but if you're a local I can see the appeal of going for a ride opening. So long as you accept the early morning, possibility of disappointment though breakdowns etc, then I can totally understand why you'd want to go - it must have bit of a festival-like atmosphere and at least you can enjoy the ride before over-exposure to all the reviews and everything. I'm definitely not going to look down on someone for wanting to be a part of it.

• Like 2

And the crazy thing is that even if you DO get to ride it on opening day, you are far from the first person to do it. The coaster will have been soft opened for weeks in addition to the media events. I still remember opening day of WWOHP and the 10+ hour wait just to get IN the park. As I watched the madness unfold from home, I laughed since I had already gone a few times prior, and after the hype died down, I went many times over the summer. 

But you will still see the "gotta be first" crowd bragging about being the first on the ride. Better them than me.

I've been to plenty of opening days for coasters at parks like Kings Island and Holiday World several years ago, but back then it wasn't as big of a deal as it is now. It was pretty much here's the opening day of the park, the new coaster for the year opens that day, there might be a 2 or 3 hour line for that ride but the rest of the day was still pretty enjoyable. It's just a different world now with social media and how popular the parks have become. Opening days are kind of a fun experience though, lots of energy and excitement, I just hate how now there's so much uncertainty around the opening day for new attractions at major parks. Like if I showed up at 6am at IOA on June 10th, will I even get to ride? Will it be on a virtual que where's it's a crap shoot to get a slot? Mechanical break downs aside are they even going to run it the entire day? 

Something like Iron Gwazi or Ice Breaker I'd go to opening day for no problem, but attractions at Disney or Universal it's not worth it anymore to me. 

^Why is it OBVIOUS they'll do soft openings?  There were zero soft openings for Hagrid's.  Sure the ride has been running with people for six months now but we're also in a pandemic when no one seems to know what's actually going on.  They are still running it almost every day and I would LOVE to see it soft open but I am not assuming anything.