TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Revolution*UPDATE!!! 3/25/16*-Six Flags Magic Mountain!

Have they removed some of the trims from the ride, or is it pretty much identical to what it was - just with better trains?

I love the layout of Revolution and would love to experience it as it was when it opened... but beggars can't be choosers - and I'm glad there are no OTSR's!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reminder that trims were always a part of this ride...5 train operation http://schwarzkopf-coaster.net/OKloopingracer-launchingracerGF.htm means that you were not going to scream through the course without trims! The actual point of Revolution was the theatricality of the loop...your views of it, your approach to it, your feeling afterward. It's hard to imagine this if you weren't there 40 years ago, but when you were used to the Mountain Express and Gold Rusher, the openness...the expansiveness of the ride was key. Going through that loop was a one-of-a-kind experience.

Using it for the VR was brilliant...it makes a ride that can't compete on intensity and thrills with the hundreds of coasters it inspired innovative and fun for the customer with no apologies, while funding its preservation for future generations. When you want to reminisce, you ride without the goggles, and experience a simpler time...

I got to go ride it for media day (I have a full review up on Coaster101 if you want to read it, apologies if I shouldn't link to other sites), but to echo some of the sentiments: I was skeptical of the VR until I rode it, it was amazing. The video was perfectly synced, so didn't cause any nausea or anything, and the fact that you have no sense of what's coming next is really amazing. The graphics are dated looking, and it's a little weird not having sound effects, but they were pretty minor nits. As best I understood the headsets are 100% optional, and imagine they always will be. Actually, they can only be worn by people 13+ (I think that's a Samsung or Oculus rule), so some people will have to ride without them. The trims seem the same as I remember, but you don't really notice them with the headset on because there's other action happening around you and because the slow downs are included as part of the action (ie. it makes sense that your craft would slow down when crashing through a building). I rode it without the VR as well, and it does run really nicely, but I'd always choose the VR if I wasn't riding six times .

The new trains are really nice (both to look at and ride in). At media day you could wear the VR in the front seat, but they had the nose of the train off to set up cameras for the "selfie" videos, and those had the QR sticker. I'm not positive they'll be there on the real deal, but I assume they would be (anyone who was there Saturday or Sunday should know).

The areas around the coaster look really good too, nicely repainted and renamed. The carousel was in the process of being painted (looks like finished) up, and appears to now the be the "Grand American" based on the new sign, fitting the the Revolution theming.

All in all this is a really nice addition. I'm now totally sold that the VR would work for any "less intense" or older coasters to rejuvenate them and give an option for a new experience. Of course, how well the operations work with normal public might be an issue, but without worrying about crowds or broken headsets, it was great!

^I agree, but let's not forget, the parks' main audience is not us coaster affeciandos, it's the general public, and when it's surrounded by rides twice as big and twice as impressive, Revolution is probably not getting a whole lot of crowd attention anymore, I'd imagine.

So there's three options, keep it running forever because of heritage, even though it's not pulling in the crowds and taking up a lot of space in the park,

Tear it down and build something new,

Or update it somehow. Seems to me like this is a pretty fair way to update it, since you don't have to put on goggles if you don't want.

I of course meant no disrespect to Six Flags or my fellow coaster fans. I just felt the ride could stand up to current standards on its own without any help. Yes, the ride takes up a LOT of square feet compared to more modern coasters but if space was an issue I really don't think with modern design technology a new ride (coaster or not) could be fit into the space available adding thrill to both the classic coaster and the new ride at the same time as has been done in many of circumstances over and over again at Six Flag parks and many non-SF parks. Take that classic ride and toss in a new coaster or flat ride mixed into the original rides track footprint and add a new thrill to the old ride along with an enhanced thrill to the new ride.

I love SFMM, only been able to visit twice since 2009 but honestly compared to my local Ohio parks it was (both times) a magical, thrilling and super fun experience. So looking forward to visiting again soon. Nothing against KI, KK, DW, KW or CP but year after year it they ALL get old fast. I am sure those who live in the LA area feel the same way about Disney, Knotts and SFMM.

I and and anyone like me who lives so close to so many theme parks who is so spoiled compared to those (lets say those in the Denver area) who have next to nothing yet here I am bitching about a theme park 1000's of miles away and that I have only visited twice. I REALLY should shut up now and stop being a whining coaster fan.

Sorry for being such an idiot. This is why I don't comment much in the TPR forums. I really should just be quiet and go away.

I'm sorry but there was NOTHING wrong with this ride to begin with. It was what is was. A fantastic RETRO ride. Fast, smooth (enough) and simply FUN to ride over and over again. New paint was enough. The VTR is NOT needed and I do not want anything to do with it.

Retro? OTSR's are not retro! The trains are identicle to the origin ones, and the VR is completely optional. It is NOW more like it originally was, regardless of the VR system.

I'm sorry but there was NOTHING wrong with this ride to begin with. It was what is was. A fantastic RETRO ride. Fast, smooth (enough) and simply FUN to ride over and over again. New paint was enough. The VTR is NOT needed and I do not want anything to do with it.

Retro? OTSR's are not retro! The trains are identicle to the origin ones, and the VR is completely optional. It is NOW more like it originally was, regardless of the VR system.

Yes! As you may or may not know dmax, the ride ORIGINALLY had NO OTSR system, it was LAP BARS ONLY. Now, it has returned to that state. How can you not appreciate that one fact, it has been finally returned to it's former glory! Forget the VR, just ride it for what it was and is again. Have you ridden it now that these changes were done or are you just basing this on opinion rather than fact---- I think you NEED to ride it now to get a whole new sense of the ride again, with no vr, just you and the train with no otsr.

I think deep down you really do want to ride it again.

I'm like you, I like the retro and don't really care for the vr, but I'll try it just because it's a new and different thing but I'll tell you this, I will ride it 90% with no vr because I want to experience just the coaster, just Revolution with LAP BARS ONLY, and now I can, and now you can, and I think you deep down feel the same way..... I think you do and I think you really don't want to turn your back on a coaster you really like...... still

does anyone know if they will still have a single rider line? i haven't read anything about one. maybe you could get handed a dirty VR headset on the exit side.

I've been wondering this myself ever since they first announced it'd be refurbished, and I'm still awaiting an answer myself. Does anyone know?

Now that the VR's been added, I'm either thinking it won't be, or if it will, VR won't be an option for it. But that just my own suspicion... I have no real inside knowledge whatsoever.

I was at the park on Thursday and didn't notice any single rider line. If there is one, it isn't being advertised...

That being said, I got to experience The New Revolution twice with VR. This is the perfect example of "don't judge until you ride it yourself". I was skeptical of the whole idea when it was first announced, but I love it after finally experiencing it. The headset syncs very well with the ride and never gets boring. They definitely put it on a ride that needed it. Not saying Revolution is a bad coaster, but compared to its siblings in the park, it is pretty bland because it only has one loop-the-loop.

As for execution, Six Flags cleans the headsets very well (they do it RIGHT in front of you to show you that they don't mess around), so hopefully that will eliminate the general public's concern for cleanliness. The distribution and collection of headsets was overall decent. Dispatches were averaging around 5-7 minutes, but once the second train is added and the employees get used to the process, operations should be alright.

Overall, I really enjoy the addition and encourage anybody who is skeptical about the whole idea of virtual reality to give it a try.

Oh, and a quick note. It may be just me, but I noticed that the trims coming out of the tunnel seemed weaker than normal. It may be because of the VR, but the ending did not feel sluggish at all.

...Not saying Revolution is a bad coaster, but compared to its siblings in the park, it is pretty bland because it only has one loop-the-loop...

Full Throttle says "Hi."

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

...Not saying Revolution is a bad coaster, but compared to its siblings in the park, it is pretty bland because it only has one loop-the-loop...

YOLOcoaster says "Hi."

Honestly revolution has a way more interesting layout then YOLOcoaster

its always possible they allow single riders to go up flash pass line, honestly they should just do that for every ride in the park

I am sure all those paying for flash pass would LOVE that....

its always possible they allow single riders to go up flash pass line, honestly they should just do that for every ride in the park

I am sure all those paying for flash pass would LOVE that....

Yeah, SDC tried that on Outlaw Run, and it lasted all of 2 weeks.

Just got back from the Mountain and rode The New Revolution. I loved it! It was like old times before they put the OTSR on. I did not ride with the VR system because I didn't want too. When I got in line around 11:20, they had both trains running. But at 11:30 the took the white train off and plugged it in the a power outlet and left the red one to handle the review crowd.

The new station looks great and the landscaping is well done. The only propblem I see is the loading times with the headgear. Once on the train, several VR goggles were not syncing and cause the train to sit and have them trouble shoot. Revy is smooth, quiet and overall looks good. Thank you SFMM for restoring this classic coaster!

The park was dead which made everything better for me. I think this is the best time to go since the kids are in school. I did get 2 rides on TC! Dispatch was GREAT! We dueled both times thanks to the awesome dispatching. 1 ride on Goliath, which was walk on. Then waited 20 minutes for full throttle. After that I grabbed a Caramel Apple & Funnel Cake and drove back to Ventura.

SFMM was lookig good with all of the new paint, tree trimming and cleaniness. I was happy to see my beloved park look good.