TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

I feel like the paths are very skinny. I would try and take cue's from Disney with there wide paths, and well themed, in-game, pre-built rides if they are going to have any. I like the station, its realistic, as well as the benches and trash cans. The game should really have many different types of real world coasters like Rct2 and Rct3 do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-14/

New dev blog. Looks really good, so hard to believe the turn around on this thing. They mention they are trying to get a build going for Gamescon, which this year starts on August 5th, so there's something to look forward to. Also worth mentioning they say they're finished working on my coasters AND tracks!

How on Earth did a new dev team come along and make such an intense improvement in so little time? This whole situation is so bizarre.

Atari hasn't done anything to earn my trust, but that screen shot looks great!

I wonder if Robb has any input since he knows the industry.

Just getting caught up on a few things after a very busy summer...

While I don't want to personally take credit for any of the changes, we did lead a pretty big campaign a few months back to basically show Atari that what they were making was not what people wanted. Whether that was a deciding factor or just another "voice" in the mix, who knows. But a new developer with a new idea is certainly a step in the right direction.

Now just to see if they can follow through. In the meantime, I sort of have my eye on Parkitect for those who want something more old school RCT!

New screenshot from Gamescom:

Also, the game page went up on Steam.

RollerCoaster Tycoon World™ is the newest installment in the legendary RCT franchise. This next-generation theme park simulation and building game includes fan-favorite features and incredible new advancements such as stunning 3D environments full of roller coaster thrills, exciting flat rides, eager guests, user-generated content, robust social features, and more – all in one massively fun game!

FEATURES

Powerful Building Tools:

Freeform Object Placement: Control and place every single in-game object anywhere on the map at any angle. For our more casual users we are also providing ‘snap-to’ and ‘brush’ placement functionality to make this enhancement easy to use.

Curved Paths: Select your unique type of path from a variety of widths, styles, and shapes. You can make them straight or, for the first time in the franchise, curve them at almost any angle!

Innovative 3D Track Editor: Create the coolest and wildest coasters imaginable with our best track editor ever! For the first time, using our spline based editor, tracks can be fully manipulated in 3D allowing you to create any shape you can dream up.

Fully Deformable Terrain with Water: Build amazing rides and change your park’s landscape in full 3D with completely deformable terrain and water.

Expansive Selection of In-Game Objects: Entertain your park guests with many different types of coasters and rides, all in eye-popping next generation resolution. Choose from premade rides and coasters to scenery and shops.

Expansive Customization Support:

UGC Tools: For the first time, you will be able to create items like your own scenery and peeps, in any 3D editing program that works with Unity, and import it into the game for everyone to use!

Multiple Maps and Themes: Choose from different environments and theme options to make each map unique.

Fully Realized Next-Generation Simulation:

Detailed Park Management Tools: Run a successful theme park with the beautifully crafted User Interface that provides easy access to all of your park management tools. From park finances to the thoughts of your guests, everything is at your fingertips including new features, like heat maps and tips!

Multiple Game Modes: Play the way you want in Sandbox mode, or complete varying challenges and quests in Scenario and Campaign modes.

Responsive Environments + Guests: Create themed zones in your park! Placing different themed rides and objects will affect not only ratings but increase its attractiveness to certain peeps, changing the game play dynamically.

Advanced Physics Calculations: The coasters in RCTW use a more complex physics simulation than any previous game in the franchise. This simulation allows for amazing designs and a lifelike riding experience. Build a coaster that stays perfectly on its tracks or teeters on the brink of disaster; just be careful or your coaster may jump the rails!

Ride Every Coaster: Hop into the front seat of a coaster and ride what you made yourself!

Innovative Services: Manage your park’s medical, janitorial, entertainment and mechanical needs with the re-designed, simple-yet-powerful services system.

Native Sharing and Social Features:

Social Media Integration: Share all your cool creations and designs with your friends straight from within the game!

Freeform Cameras: Take a video at any angle; edit your park above, below, or next to a ride. Prefer an isometric view? We have that too!

Friend’s Lists and Stat Comparisons: See what your Steam and Social friends are up to in their games from within yours! It’s easy to see someone’s latest coaster or when they last edited their park.

Visit a Friend: Check out a friend’s park with a simple click! Chat with them and give them suggestions on what to do next while you’re there.

Native Steam Workshop Support: Native Steam Workshop support is built right in the game! The interface has been simplified and centralized to make it easy for anyone from casual to hardcore to use. Custom scenery, blueprinted coasters, parks and more can be easily and seamlessly shared from within the game. UGC has been designed to be accessible and easy to use for everyone.

Okay now they have my attention.

Same here! While recent screenshots have been showing a lot of improvement, these are the first screenshots to really make me interested in this project. Now I'm actually excited to see more!

Ok, I know this is going to sound weird but.. now that we have these nice stations.. doesn't it kind of take some of the custom element to it? Like how people would build their own stations with custom scenery. I hope that option is still available, but these stations are good for people who aren't that into the game and still want to build realistic parks. Just some food for thought.

I’ve made no comments about this game until now, but I have a bit to share based on what I've seen so far. I loved RCT 1 & 2 – they did a great job being accessible and well-done for popular appeal, while still implementing tons of love through nuance that made hardcore coaster fans geek out. I don’t even want to admit the extent to which I went bananas when I realized that they added a B&M roar in RCT2. It’s this kind of stuff that would drive my excitement for the new game.

No doubt, the visual cartoon-feel had to go, but the pendulum seems to have swung the other way and the new focus on prettiness was never what made the original games so addictive in the first place. From the most recent blog: "And to reassure you of the game’s visual quality, here are two new screenshots taken today on a powerhouse computer with a high-end graphics card at 4K resolution." The pics look great, but also suggest a specs-heavy game that may leave owners of average computers in the dust. Furthermore, I think the backlash over the original graphics was wrongly interpreted by Atari, and the response seems to now be a new misunderstanding about what “more realism, please” meant.

I want to see some of the thoughtfulness that made the first two games so special. I want manufacturers to be well-represented. Make a wooden coaster's wheels squeak and have it get slightly more intense as it ages. Show me decent-looking S&S towers that I can connect together with a crowning marquee, and then let me set each leg to be a turbo drop, space shot, or combo drop with multiple bounces. These are the types of details that should be included, which would naturally improve the graphical realism. Instead, we're getting updates about visually-stunning, high-res benches and station wood. Does anyone remember It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown, where Marcie kept comically misinterpreting Peppermint Patty's instructions on how to prepare the eggs? I feel like this is what's happening. With respect to the developer's effort, I have been wrong before and I AM looking forward to how the game turns out.

Want a great game? Spread enthusiast-considerate nuance throughout, look to the first two RCTs for a solid gameplay foundation, and find a visual middle ground that strikes a balance between aestetic and fluid playability.

Hate to crash the party but I'm going to nitpick. This image does the same as the steel station did to me, yes it looks beautiful but I feel like they're distracting us that they still haven't fixed the bending problem, cause in the background behind the beautiful station there are flat turns. Unless I see a picture of coaster track bending I'm not sold on it.

Hate to crash the party but I'm going to nitpick. This image does the same as the steel station did to me, yes it looks beautiful but I feel like they're distracting us that they still haven't fixed the bending problem, cause in the background behind the beautiful station there are flat turns. Unless I see a picture of coaster track bending I'm not sold on it.

One of the Exec Producers confirmed banked turns over on the RCTW Forums:

Also a side note on banked turns. Of course there are banked turns for the coasters! I'll make sure we take a screenshot next time showing them off!

No worries!

I hope that if they include the Arrow suspended coaster that it will in fact have banked turns. The flat turns on all the previous versions of RCT have somewhat annoyed me.

My other hope is that all steel coasters have catwalks on the lift hills. Otherwise from what I'm seeing it is a vast improvement from the previous incarnation of RCTW.