TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

I can confirm that from my experience in video game development and the way that guy worded everything, they're definitely starting over from scratch I guess that's a good thing. Unity 5 looks to be a decent engine, and I believe Parkitect is also on Unity?

Don't expect a whole lot from the end product, and expect an early-to-mid 2016 release. If this game releases before then...

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty surprised that they're starting over, but I'm glad to hear it! If waiting an extra year means a better end product, I'm all for it.

Yea they practically are. Engine update and overhauling basic code, change of art style (big undertaking), emphasis on modernized graphics (bigger undertaking).

My only concern would be the fact that the developers, investors, and corporate higher-ups are gonna want a payout for this game ASAP, especially with all this new competition in the Roller Coaster Simulation market.

Wow... Just... Wow.

This has been quite a fiasco. Very unprofessional and pathetic. I'll give them props for starting over, but seriously... this is crazy. I would rather wait till 2016 or later for the game... If it takes that long... I want it to be near perfect, so I'd wait.

• 2 months later...

Did they announce yet who became the third developer? Looking at this blog from two weeks ago, it seems after the trailer Area 52 was removed and some-one new is working on the game but they haven't released the information.

Dear RollerCoaster Tycoon World Fans,

I know it has been some time since my last blog post yet we wanted to be far enough along with new developments before providing updates; now is the perfect time to share. Thanks for your patience.

As many of you know, this past fall the game moved from Pipeworks to a new developer – Area 52 Games. We brought them in to focus on core engine development. In order to accomplish many of the great things we have planned for the game, we needed this work first so that development could later continue on not only the engine, but also on gameplay, content, and graphics. Following this effort, RollerCoaster Tycoon World is now in its next phase of development and on its way to release.

A new team is now in charge, and has been for quite some time. You have not yet seen any of the work delivered by this new team since the trailer was prepared using one of the last builds done by Area 52 Games. Before you ask, we are not announcing the name of this new team today. Our reason is simple: right now, they are laser-focused on a key upcoming milestone and we are keeping distractions to a minimum. Our previous developers received tons of fan emails and social media posts (which we love) as well as phone calls and in a few instances even more extreme requests! Once this milestone is delivered, the pressure will ease a little and we will introduce the team.

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, the game has undergone a significant upgrade to Unity 5, and we are very excited about it. This next-gen engine now allows us to do much more with the game, such as displaying many more objects, polygons, and simulations on screen. We have always kept room for improvement and we can say that a number of your suggestions (those that were not in earlier builds) are being implemented now. Those improvements will be announced soon.

From a schedule standpoint, we are on track for a release this year. It has been more than 10 years since the last PC RCT game and we are committed to releasing an amazing AAA game that lays a new foundation for the future of the franchise. Game development is a journey and it is not without its bumps in the road.

Until the next major production blog, see you on the forums so keep the suggestions coming; the game designers and production team love reading what you write! And of course as soon as I have fully polished next-gen in-game assets I will share them.

Sincerely,

“Mattlab”

Executive Producer

RollerCoaster Tycoon World

Source

Wow, seems this has been a hellish development so far. I'm a software dev and I know things can very rapidly screw up quite quickly and completely in many a project. Maybe starting over is the only alternative to cancelling it. I cant help but wonder if Atari are a bit impatient and are jumping to other developers when they don't see results fast enough? Coders are known for being way too optimistic in their development time estimates.

PipeWorks was developing RCTWorld well, but they went over budget and Atari pulled them from the project and passed development to Area 52 Games. Area 52 Games wasn't doing well at all (as evident in the gameplay trailer) and Atari pulled them from the project as well, passing it on to an unknown developer. This new team is using Unity 5. I'd find it pretty interesting/funny if the team turned out to be Frontier (the makers of RCT3).

I had thought Frontier had already announced they were making their own new rct style game? I guess its possible that they have done a new deal with Atari, but Since they self-published Dangerous I thought it would make more sense to self-publish the new game as well. Unless using the RCT trademark is that important.

I think that with all the issues and failure of the last Sim City that the makers of the new RCT game are really being cautious and making sure that they get it right this time. Sim City and RCT3 both have similar communities in terms of customization and modding and they both came out around the same time. I think the new Sim City went wrong b/c their fans were pretty vocal about their displeasure with the direction the new game was going and the makers instead decided that they would ignore their core base and focus on what they wanted the game to be in hopes of expanding the market-- that proved to be a bad decision.

On the other hand it looks like RCT is doing the exact opposite and they are responding to push back by making changes which will mean that the game will take longer to make but when it is done I feel like the community like the game more.

I think that with all the issues and failure of the last Sim City that the makers of the new RCT game are really being cautious and making sure that they get it right this time. Sim City and RCT3 both have similar communities in terms of customization and modding and they both came out around the same time. I think the new Sim City went wrong b/c their fans were pretty vocal about their displeasure with the direction the new game was going and the makers instead decided that they would ignore their core base and focus on what they wanted the game to be in hopes of expanding the market-- that proved to be a bad decision.

On the other hand it looks like RCT is doing the exact opposite and they are responding to push back by making changes which will mean that the game will take longer to make but when it is done I feel like the community like the game more.

They went about RCTWorld all wrong. From the marketing to the planning to the developing... It's such a mess... Topped with a promise of an "Early 2015" release date. I for one would rather wait longer and have them make a near perfect game than have them crap out some lame attempt at a new RCT game on PC.

I'm so ready for this game right now, I hate waiting. But I agree with Risky, I'd rather they took their time and didn't rush it. So many of the latest releases of games I love have been rubbish. Sims 4 - rubbish, Sim City 5 - rubbish.

Please developers don't ruin Roller Coaster Tycoon

There's a blog post: Link

Dear Fans,

The team had a great week finishing upgrades to the coaster building system. One exciting new feature is improved full validation of coaster track and feedback systems, so you know whether your track is going to be safe, “iffy” (build at your own risk!), or just plain impossible.

Work is continuing on the path system overhaul and while I don’t want to give away too much yet, the initial results are very promising. You will be able to do some very cool things not possible in any previous RCT game. This and the improved coaster physics system currently remain as primary focuses of the tech team, before they turn their attention to terrain and queues.

I would also like to take this time to highlight a recent thread I made in our forums about the “Funny/Cool Things That Peeps Do”. Our design team is spending some time generating a list of actions and animations for the peeps and I wanted to make sure they heard your input – channel your creativity!

Lastly, I would like to now reveal the full hypercoaster that we teased a few weeks ago! Note the colors are a bit different as this is a night shot (so there are some artificial illumination sources we are not showing you yet). Otherwise, this is the same coaster you saw a few weeks ago – taken from within the game engine.

“Mattlab”

Executive Producer

Hypercoasster_Tracks_002jpg-1100x824.thumb.jpg.3d0adcd1de31861b0ebdfe870930c2f3.jpg

Sooooooooo, this train looks awesome... and NOTHING like anything we've seen from the game yet. Maybe there is hope?

This turn around is pretty amazing... surely if they put out a trailer, they were planning for the game to be pretty similar. I remember there were originally only going to be 3 kinds of track: steel, inverted and wooden, and the cars would just change with the same track underneath. I'm wondering whether they've actually done something about the response because they are really competing with Frontier's Coaster Park Tycoon, and were scared people would just wait for that. That competition's great for us!

We have another blog post that' again' LOOKS promising. I think the real tell will be when we see some buildings. And I think a trailer will be the deciding factor...or nail in the coffin, lol.

Link

RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #10

POSTED: 11 JUN, 2015 | POSTED BY: MATTLABDEV BLOGSNO COMMENTS

icon_rctw_400_r

Dear RCTW Fans,

It’s a busy week here. Over the past months, our team has been working, improving, and expanding on a number of different systems. It is always quite a sight to walk around the studio and see all of the disparate work being done by different members of the team. Now, we have reached what we’re calling “integration week” and it is a major step for us. We are now putting these assets and systems together – shiny, new, and improved before proceeding forward with additional work. It’s exciting!

This week, I wanted to share a different type of asset shot. Below you’ll see one of the coaster control booths you will find in the game. It’s important for us to really capture all of the elements of a theme park. The ride operator in their control booth is one of these smaller touches that is integral to the immersive experience we’re aiming to achieve in the game. We hope you like it and be sure to let us know what you think!

Lastly, next week Atari is heading to E3 so our forum posting and updating will likely be limited but present for the next few weeks. We won’t be showing the game publicly at E3, but we will be meeting with press to give them updates on RCTW and other Atari projects. That said, I do plan to update you all next week if and when time allows. Until then, see you on the forums and thank you for all of the great and valuable insights and feedback on our “Ideas and Feature Requests” forum. It’s hugely valuable to our design team so please keep it up! While there, be sure to check out our new “Real World Theme Parks and Rides Discussion” forum. Feel free to chat there about all your favorite rides and theme parks!

Cheers,

“Mattlab”

Executive Producer

ControlBooth_002-1100x619.thumb.png.bcf5e2297de77fae2223a8f9bc1eb1ca.png

ControlBooth_008-1100x619.thumb.png.4a07e779a765cf846745f4b43c255863.png