TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of wonky stuff, although this may simply be the result of someone getting his or her hands on the demo and going hog wild for some casual fun. If the coaster editor has such an "anything goes" policy, the apparent flexibility with a dash of added focus might be a good recipe. Coaster Works on Dreamcast had a free-form editor that was an absolute beaut. The game allowed for totally goofy designs, but if you took a realistic approach, it proved to be an an incredible editor for its day & perhaps the RCTW editor will pan out similarly.

I still have hope that the game will find the Goldilocks zone between realism and accessibility. For me, that balance isn't about serious textures on otherwise silly rides, but means delivering fun for mainstream players while serving up plenty of extra nuance and realism for the coaster fans who want to indulge a bit more. The Sawyer games did this well. Heck, plenty of games across genres have satisfied simulation fans while maintaining a pick-up-and-play quality, and I think that balance will be RCTW's ticket to success.

Hey guys, a lot of these photos and videos are mine so I wanted to post some thoughts before heading off for another day at PAX. I've been geeking out about this game a lot this weekend, so apologies if this gets long

In the demo, you had the option to build 3 different coaster types: a hyper, a woodie, and a standup coaster. There was a nice selection of flat rides available as well but obviously plopping a ride is not as interesting as building a coaster. A lot of the other menu options were still locked both for time sake and since the game is still in alpha. There were all the usual options on the toolbar though like landscaping(locked), decorations( which were enabled) and shops(locked)

The coaster designer seems pretty powerful. I ended up building a hyper coaster with the goal of seeing what was capable not what would actually be realistic. So you plop the station and then you can click again to make the next piece. You can then position it as you see fit by moving it around. Hold shift and you can raise or lower the track, bank it, twist it, or horribly contort it. You also could choose between, normal, brake, boost, and lift track in this version, and you could go back and change the type of any previous track piece later.

As you place track, the ghost supports, before you commit, change color between red, yellow, and white. Placing track when that is red or yellow could lead to some interesting crashes but following the guide and placing track while it is white will give you a nice smooth ride. Speaking of crashing, there isn't any collision detection just yet. Trains separated from their track went flying but would just fall out of the world once they hit the ground.

The path system is still slightly buggy but seems good from what I did. The curves are a nice addition and work well. I had some trouble getting paths to connect and the entry point to queue lines were pretty nondescript but like I mentioned the game is in alpha.

The guests look good! They immediately made a bee line for any death machine I prepared for them. They had thoughts and likes and some incomplete menus but otherwise I didn't look at them to much.

So overall, I really like the game. I talked to one of the Nvizzio about the game and other coaster games. They are trying to strike a good balance between the simplicity of old RCT games and the power of No limits and I think they are succeeding. We talked about how it has been so long since a proper Coaster Tycoon game and now suddenly we have three on the horizon. They have been keeping up on the other games and we agreed that with Planet Coaster and Parkitech on the horizon, the competition should be great for everyone.

So that's my thoughts, I want to play it a few more times this weekend, and with three more days of PAX I should find my way to that part of the expo plenty of times. If you have questions I'll try to answer them, or try to find an answer next time I am over there.

Tom just sent me a bunch more photos & an awesome gameplay video! Check this out!

I'm honestly shocked...and very HAPPY that Atari took the advice of everyone who posted that the original game looked terrible, hired a new developer, and started making something that actually looks like it belongs in the RCT World! (Get it?) Congrats to them! It doesn't happen very often!

rct1.thumb.jpg.45cb02788ad63ffccd1bfbd54546fa6e.jpg

rct2.thumb.jpg.1fc966114c665d6e460b2ec7e273cf56.jpg

rct3.thumb.jpg.28183d8837c9df3073472a459bf113f6.jpg

rct4.jpg.0b982384cb892e5de689172d1ea40249.jpg

1603984146_2015-08-2811_50_10.thumb.jpg.c626ad48322f00a63a577e4de85d121c.jpg

1298486278_2015-08-2815_07_50.thumb.jpg.fef34fe0426780857a2aeab6b2ba0ab9.jpg

1700158022_2015-08-2815_09_37.thumb.jpg.01467341f5b040d7726c7036b6467e13.jpg

1601364907_2015-08-3010_45_03.thumb.jpg.bfd9de5b4efb6f9339ec77ba633d5b12.jpg

1553167879_2015-08-3010_47_04.thumb.jpg.229ebc9ecfba926b0451afd8b199eeac.jpg

1150335450_2015-08-3010_55_29.thumb.jpg.ec031e267b7f73df72eca5f07cacb717.jpg

1458250715_2015-08-3010_56_38.thumb.jpg.b938e3d7a76c4ce9bdec0afc60c4c522.jpg

206845615_2015-08-3011_12_55.thumb.jpg.5332ab3d065653cd4ca542e834def654.jpg

208150274_2015-08-3011_25_07.thumb.jpg.7ba41072e767f65b085435669c0add75.jpg

1946220077_2015-08-3011_26_58.thumb.jpg.37ad62abedd2a21a07692a4efc65c6d4.jpg

96965136_2015-08-3011_27.02-1.thumb.jpg.63a83e6bc660481c1616e5dcda6d0557.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

While I think the game overall looks leagues better than the trailer from March, I still am not a fan of the how the track looks so far. I know that this is still pre-alpha and it can change toward the final release, but the wood and steel tracks both look odd.

That being said, the supports look great for an RCT game!

It honestly doesn't really interest me despite me being a long time and avid fan of the first two games. The 3D graphics just look like a cartoon and lack the grit and timeless appeal of the original isometric style. Plus, the customization and infrastructure that exists for RCT2 and to an extent RCT3 when it comes to user generated content and mods will probably trump any new features this game can present. Oh well, maybe this game will increase the popularity of the older games and their communities.

I'm loving the resurgence of amusement park games. Within 2 years, we will have (or will be getting) NoLimits 2, Theme Park Studio, Parkitect, and Roller Coaster Tycoon World. Am I forgetting anything?

And Planet Coaster.

I want good in game audio. The audio in RCT3 was such a joke (RCT2 had more realistic sounds!!). The chainlifts, screams, and the rides in general sounded so cartoonish and bad. I want the chainlifts to sound accurate based on the coaster type, and i want the coasters to sound like they actually do! (Learn from your competition and outdo them). Throw in a variety of screams.

In the gameplay video the RCTW staff said they wanted the rides to look realistic but still have a childish twist to it.

Are the realistic rides not good enough for a young gamer? I don't see how a swing ride wouldn't look appealing to a kid, why the hell do you need to add a dumb looking comet on top of it? It looks ridiculous.

So happy to finally have some game footage like this to react to. I really do hope this continues to improve like it has. I think the coaster editing could strike the perfect balance to allow for more flexibility while still being accessible enough to be user-friendly. I can be patient with the release date still not being announced, as long as they keep us in the loop (hah) with regards to their progress. Super happy to see this project back on track.

Eh, looks better in terms of gameplay and graphics...

But what I'm really wondering is what the specs are for the computer they're using in this footage. If they're running it on a high-end PC and they're getting what looks like 15-20fps, forget running this on a potato. Right now, in my opinion, assuming they're using something like an Alienware, this game doesn't have me running out to buy a $2000 computer to run it.

Parkitect/Planet Coaster still look like the go-to games.

But what I'm really wondering is what the specs are for the computer they're using in this footage. If they're running it on a high-end PC and they're getting what looks like 15-20fps, forget running this on a potato. Right now, in my opinion, assuming they're using something like an Alienware, this game doesn't have me running out to buy a $2000 computer to run it.

You are also forgetting that the game is not done, and optimization is one of the LAST things you do, because if you do it early on, you just need to do it all over again. I remember when we were making one of the Call of Duty games, it ran like CRAP up until the last few weeks of development.

If the frame rate is your biggest issue based on an alpha demo, then you're looking at the wrong things.

You are also forgetting that the game is not done, and optimization is one of the LAST things you do, because if you do it early on, you just need to do it all over again. I remember when we were making one of the Call of Duty games, it ran like CRAP up until the last few weeks of development.

If the frame rate is your biggest issue based on an alpha demo, then you're looking at the wrong things.

Agreed.

Wow this game looks really solid so far! I think everyone who's complaining about things like the looks and the track need to remember two things: 1. This game isn't finished yet. And 2. RCT games are made for EVERYONE, not just all the coaster dorks who want to make crazy realistic parks. (Though I am sure this will be good for that as well.) I think this is going to make a really great game and I can't wait to play!