TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I actually really hope it's not Topper Track. The whole feel and location of the ride I think really lends itself to the 'rough' feel of the traditional track. And you wouldn't get that out of control feeling with a conversion.

I think there is a time and place for both, but Ghostrider should keep it's traditional woodie feel, just with a track restoration.

I'm also curious as to what they'll do with Screamin' Swing's spot.

I'm telling you. My question last year at West Coast Bash might come true. We might get a wig shop named Silver Mullet in Screamin' Swing's spot.

Love it! How about a new Bar & Grill called "Roast Rider"

I'm also curious as to what they'll do with Screamin' Swing's spot.

I'm telling you. My question last year at West Coast Bash might come true. We might get a wig shop named Silver Mullet in Screamin' Swing's spot.

Love it! How about a new Bar & Grill called "Roast Rider"

Or we'll finally get a drop ride that has the name of Charlie Brown: Drop of Good Grief.

Black Magic is returning this year with a bunch of new scares! The seance room, which was Skeleton Key last year, has some new features seems to now be a part of the regular haunt! There's no mention of Skeleton Key being in use on this one this year. There's also a new Knife Cabinet hall.

https://www.knotts.com/scaryfarm/ride/Black-Magic/cat/Mazes

Knott's performs PLENTY of maintenance on GhostRider; that is not the reason why it is rough. It's simply the fact that it runs at a year-round park with 7-car PTCs that tear up the track. No matter how much maintenance you do on the ride, it will still be rough due to its operating conditions.

Except that's not entirely true at all. Yes, they perform a "lot" of maintenance, as shown when their internal team replaces or re-tracks a section of the ride, that part is usually smooth for a limited period of time, but performing "plenty" of maintenance would actually be re-tracking the ride every few years, which is what the ride needs. I might be mistaken, but in the 17 years the ride has been open, has it ever received a complete re-tracking? I don't think so. And we see a lot of other parks actually do this to their wood coasters. So when you have a ride that operates year-round that has been allowed to get as rough as it has to the point where it needs a restoration after less than 20 years, I would argue that they haven't done "PLENTY" of maintenance. If anything, they'd done the required amount to keep the ride running.

Case in point: Tonerre De Zeus - Another CCI woodie that's a year older than GhostRider. Last time I was on that coaster a couple of years ago, while it wan't as smooth as opening day, it wasn't anywhere NEAR as rough as GhostRider. That coaster has a similar track length and aggressive layout and also runs 7-car PTC trains. BUT, the park only has a 7-month operating season. I know that every off-season they do a lot of work re-tracking and repairing a good portion of that coaster. Perhaps if you're going to run a wooden roller coaster in an environment where you have a year-round park, you need to dedicate a few months instead of a few weeks to refurbishing that coaster? And maybe not every single year. But you know, I would most certainly sacrifice GhostRider being closed Jan-March to really work on the ride every couple of years than to have it operate in the condition it does now.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm not sure a track restoration would be enough. Wouldn't it just get rough again in a few years due to the conditions it runs under?

Yes, unless one of a few other things happened:

1) New non-PTC trains are part of the rehab as well

2) Knott's decides to seriously scale back Ghostrider's operating season (maybe to around 200 days from the 300+ it's at now)

3) Lots and lots of trims

Let's hope one of the first two is the solution...

Voodoo returns even bigger and better this year! Voodoo - Order Of The Serpent is even longer and has a new finale!

I loved this haunt last year but my complaint was that it was much too short. It was extremely detailed and the idea of choosing your own path through it was excellent, but it still took less than a minute to walk through. Bringing this back as a longer maze complete with a Skeleton Key room is AWESOME!!!!

https://www.knotts.com/scaryfarm/ride/VOODOO/cat/Mazes

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Knott's performs PLENTY of maintenance on GhostRider; that is not the reason why it is rough. It's simply the fact that it runs at a year-round park with 7-car PTCs that tear up the track. No matter how much maintenance you do on the ride, it will still be rough due to its operating conditions.

Except that's not entirely true at all. Yes, they perform a "lot" of maintenance, as shown when their internal team replaces or re-tracks a section of the ride, that part is usually smooth for a limited period of time, but performing "plenty" of maintenance would actually be re-tracking the ride every few years, which is what the ride needs. I might be mistaken, but in the 17 years the ride has been open, has it ever received a complete re-tracking? I don't think so. And we see a lot of other parks actually do this to their wood coasters. So when you have a ride that operates year-round that has been allowed to get as rough as it has to the point where it needs a restoration after less than 20 years, I would argue that they haven't done "PLENTY" of maintenance. If anything, they'd done the required amount to keep the ride running.

Case in point: Tonerre De Zeus - Another CCI woodie that's a year older than GhostRider. Last time I was on that coaster a couple of years ago, while it wan't as smooth as opening day, it wasn't anywhere NEAR as rough as GhostRider. That coaster has a similar track length and aggressive layout and also runs 7-car PTC trains. BUT, the park only has a 7-month operating season. I know that every off-season they do a lot of work re-tracking and repairing a good portion of that coaster. Perhaps if you're going to run a wooden roller coaster in an environment where you have a year-round park, you need to dedicate a few months instead of a few weeks to refurbishing that coaster? And maybe not every single year. But you know, I would most certainly sacrifice GhostRider being closed Jan-March to really work on the ride every couple of years than to have it operate in the condition it does now.

Even a plug and play style woodie like T-Express that runs all year round has a scheduled closed month and a bit every year. Although it's also stupidly cold in the winter months when the ride quite often can't run so it works in the parks favor, they advertise ahead of time when the ride will close for maintenance and get all their rehab work done and less guests are disappointed when they get to the park and find it closed due to weather since they knew ahead of time. It does leave the park a bit short in the coaster department when it's closed though.

Voodoo returns even bigger and better this year! Voodoo - Order Of The Serpent is even longer and has a new finale!

I loved this haunt last year but my complaint was that it was much too short. It was extremely detailed and the idea of choosing your own path through it was excellent, but it still took less than a minute to walk through. Bringing this back as a longer maze complete with a Skeleton Key room is AWESOME!!!!

https://www.knotts.com/scaryfarm/ride/VOODOO/cat/Mazes

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Let's hope there's actually some scares in it this year...

Anyone know if knotts still has the three hour free parking for the marketplace? Going to be in town next weekend and wanted to grab some chicken but would rather not pay for parking.

Knotts no longer has 3 hour free parking. It is now 1 hour OR 3 hours with a receipt from one of the shops or restaurants.

I'm not sure a track restoration would be enough. Wouldn't it just get rough again in a few years due to the conditions it runs under?

2) Knott's decides to seriously scale back Ghostrider's operating season (maybe to around 200 days from the 300+ it's at now)

Very true.

I agree with Robb that the ride needs an off season, 2 or 3 months of yearly maintenance. Trouble is, how do you explain that to people who just won't get it?

Very true.

I agree with Robb that the ride needs an off season, 2 or 3 months of yearly maintenance. Trouble is, how do you explain that to people who just won't get it?

Just ask them if they'd rather feel like they're gliding on butter or being in a continuous car accident, and that should shut them up.

Anyone know if knotts still has the three hour free parking for the marketplace? Going to be in town next weekend and wanted to grab some chicken but would rather not pay for parking.

Knotts no longer has 3 hour free parking. It is now 1 hour OR 3 hours with a receipt from one of the shops or restaurants.

i remember when i used to go to the park, and park in the 3 hour. come out 3 hours later, drive around the block, and park again. lol

that was usually plenty of time for me at knott's. if i had even gone over the 3 hours. there getting it all back from me this year. platinum pass

and haven't gone once, to any park.

Simple Google search for "Knott's Marketplace Parking" immediately brought up this:

https://www.knotts.com/things-to-do/california-marketplace

1100043119_ScreenShot2015-08-23at13_58_58.png.a50e88e6c4501c01a67396d0ac9b3323.png

I know that they got rid of the blanket 3-hour parking for everyone because terrible humanity abused it.

Edited by robbalvey

And this is exactly why we can't have nice things in the country. I'm sure if I was the park, I'd rather not have to put up with all the whining and complaining. I'm personally already putting up with a lot of stupid crap over the ride being closed during WCB (which is ironic because the #1 question asked during past WCB Q&As is "When are you guys going to do something about Ghostrider?")

In Japan, for example, Tokyo Disney closes down each of their rides, sometimes for a month or more, every year to do annual maintenance. No one complains. Why? Because they are smart enough to know that there is more than plenty at the park to enjoy your day, and without proper maintenance, rides will no longer be as good as they were when they opened. And this is exactly why that park is the best in the world, because every single ride, no matter how old, looks and feels as though it just opened yesterday.

But people here are either not that smart or just looking for something free. I cannot tell you how many times I've been at Magic Kingdom's guest relations and overheard someone complaining about how their favorite ride was closed, and how they made the trip JUST for that ride, and now they want a refund on all their tickets, meals purchased, etc, for them and their entire family. It happens EVERY SINGLE DAY. Multiple times. Anyone who has worked in guest relations will tell you this is a very common complaint.

'Merica!

Edited by robbalvey

Yes. Its best to do the Boo-fet dinner. You get a free refillable cup for the entire night and about 30 mins early entry before the rest. not to mention the food is pretty good. I used my 30 mins last year to get a return time for the zombie shooting experience since they usually run out of tickets for it fast, went for a quick ride on silver bullet, then xcellerator then started with the Houdini maze in the back and worked my way to the front. However, I always go on a sunday night.

Is Scary Farm doable in 1 night without needing to buy Fright Lane? (I dont have a date picked yet)

Easily. I did it last year with no trouble. I went on a Thursday, which definitely helped! I didn't bother with the Boo-fet, either. I was at the gates 5 minutes prior to opening, got inside, grabbed a Special Ops ticket, then went straight to the four haunts behind Ghost Rider. AKA the southeast corner of the park. I did two trips through all of the haunts there and then worked my way through the rest of the park going counter-clockwise. My longest wait was 30-45 minutes for Forevermore and I'm pretty sure that's only because I caught it at a shift change. The line was dead in the water for quite a while but when it got moving, it moved well.

Just don't go on a Friday or Saturday and expect the same luck.

I know this is a bit late on my part, but ...

In preparation for Ghost Town’s Anniversary Celebration, GhostRider, the longest, tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast, will close on September 8 for a comprehensive restoration.

I have personally never been on GhostRider, but I have heard horror stories about the coaster. I am so glad to hear that it is getting a much needed restoration. Hopefully it will make for a much smoother, more re-rideable ride!

In Japan, for example, Tokyo Disney closes down each of their rides, sometimes for a month or more, every year to do annual maintenance. No one complains. Why? Because they are smart enough to know that there is more than plenty at the park to enjoy your day, and without proper maintenance, rides will no longer be as good as they were when they opened. And this is exactly why that park is the best in the world, because every single ride, no matter how old, looks and feels as though it just opened yesterday.

I've always loved when I've planned my Japan trips how much they advertise ahead of time what is closed so if something I like is closed I can flip my trip the best I can (When I first ever went to Japan, I flipped the start and end of my trip so Jaws was open but the night show was closed and Journey at TDS was open but Flounder's was closed). Korea does the same, Lotte World shows the whole current month or advertises ahead of time if there's a lengthy rehab like Atlantis's 6 month refreshment last year (sadly still minus the water though) and Everland always puts up online adverts when T Express and the water rides will shut for winter rehabs.

It's a shame when a park like Knott's advertise ahead of time people don't just accept it and move on. I've never seen anyone complain here and with parks like USJ and TDS/TDL no matter how well you plan, when every ride is a "big ride" unless you go on packed days when the lines are 4 hours long you're almost guaranteed to have to miss one big ride or show somewhere in the park in the quieter season.

Is Scary Farm doable in 1 night without needing to buy Fright Lane? (I dont have a date picked yet)

Easily. I did it last year with no trouble. I went on a Thursday, which definitely helped! I didn't bother with the Boo-fet, either. I was at the gates 5 minutes prior to opening, got inside, grabbed a Special Ops ticket, then went straight to the four haunts behind Ghost Rider. AKA the southeast corner of the park. I did two trips through all of the haunts there and then worked my way through the rest of the park going counter-clockwise. My longest wait was 30-45 minutes for Forevermore and I'm pretty sure that's only because I caught it at a shift change. The line was dead in the water for quite a while but when it got moving, it moved well.

Just don't go on a Friday or Saturday and expect the same luck.

This won't always apply. The later in the month you go, the busier it gets.