TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Some eagle-eyed people have noticed that the Sky Buckets have been removed from the website. Assuming it’s not just an incredibly-unlikely site error and the ride is being removed, I can’t say I’m surprised but it’s a bummer. Aside from it being a nice ride, it’s also a bummer because they’ll probably leave the towers there forever like New England and it’s a straight budget cut since it’s not opening up any real space.

don't panic just yet. . look up thread. . Mindbender/Ridder Mindbender, and Pandemonium are missing too.

it's just the website, I'd think. . . "Six Flags". . LOL

(tho there supposedly were rides being removed from some parks, right?)

EDIT:  looks like Pandemonium is back on the rides list.   Still no Mindbender/Riddler Mindbender tho.

Another year, another opening day trip report!  We've got some good, and some bad(prepare to cry) and everything in between.

We got to the park a little before opening and the lines were very long (theme of the day) though we got through and found parking pretty quickly.

IMG_20210306_103844608_HDR.thumb.jpg.aee6c6dcae0fc55ada48ab379c87cc40.jpg

Mind Bender is looking very GREEN, minus the section on the "second" loop. It's looking very good, but is nowhere near opening, let alone testing.  From what I saw, the ride has no chain and no sign of any new trains either.

IMG_20210306_104629759_HDR.thumb.jpg.a237d4d2f0327aaf34b41f03fda8e4e9.jpg

Looking towards the bottom right, it looks like they are adding on the station a little. The primer grey track is still visible too.

IMG_20210306_104656151_HDR.thumb.jpg.9a9197fb21178e27cf40f9a177c99efc.jpg

After the headache inducing process of picking up our season pass, we made a B-line to Goliath.  It's becoming more and more shaky as the years drag on, I'm hoping there's a solution in the future for this as its only going to get worse.

For some reason the website is flipping my pictures no matter how I save them, so some of them are upside down now is upside down!

After the headache inducing process of picking up our season pass, we made a B-line to Goliath.  It's becoming more and more shaky as the years drag on, I'm hoping there's a solution in the future for this as its only going to get worse.

IMG_20210306_113755059_HDR.thumb.jpg.8dd9bfd88ffb5738f570e1ea9a32dbc8.jpg

Here's the new sign for Gotham City, I don't strongly dislike it, but I do miss the old 90s Time warner Gotham. 

IMG_20210306_115031626_HDR.thumb.jpg.e00990b63d1be40b7072dc5e6d37109c.jpg

Work continues on Mind Bender (you can see some welding going on in the bottom left)

IMG_20210306_115149323_HDR.thumb.jpg.c8a6eb228513ad8c7c7470e46131f663.jpg

The LED light package on "DC Super Villains Swing" is VERY bright.

IMG_20210306_121040463_HDR.thumb.jpg.1d8f152f1ec0c7c691590bdf80ec81c9.jpg

Truly the low point of the day, everyone already knows but it breaks my heart.  Walking down to what's left of LickSkillet, my greatest fears were realized.

IMG_20210306_121653907_HDR.thumb.jpg.f00b05aaae9976bace212308bf40410e.jpg

The Sky Buckets are no more, I believe my last ride was in summer of 2019.  I always made an effort to ride it every time I visited. Both stations are still intact along with all the towers, but its obvious that this classic is done.

IMG_20210306_121753380_HDR.thumb.jpg.a3f1a0c94269eec46b1d2ccb9db55471.jpg

Maybe they'll end up using the old station as a que house for a new attraction, though it will probably just get leveled eventually.

IMG_20210306_121818203.thumb.jpg.2de696ddd28db625966db2cd27b71773.jpg

All right enough grieving, time for some really good news!! I am happy to say that GASM is rideable again!!! Track work has been done all the way through the second drop, and while the rest of the ride is still a little bumpy, I experienced no jack hammering!  The trim after the final turn around also seemed to be off or toned way down on both of our rides.  

IMG_20210306_124502886_HDR.thumb.jpg.1a7ad038df2b491ddcb979828606cb00.jpg 

Nothing new to see here...

IMG_20210306_130911654_HDR.thumb.jpg.05c2d597cdee287078f6dae935915ef2.jpg

Tried to ride Pandemonium but it kept on going down due to that one guy who always pulls down on the OSTRs. (Can they ban him???)

IMG_20210306_160351852_HDR.thumb.jpg.b57518b9dcd22981e22623efe60c183c.jpg

Twisted Cyclone was as good and forceful as ever! Also these new signs have popped up all over alerting guests of the changing elevations.

IMG_20210306_131459700_HDR.thumb.jpg.428d0aaa6adf343040b8a157e5114892.jpg 

Something not good happened in the parking lot...

IMG_20210306_180801111_HDR.thumb.jpg.53c1818e1c41265af28ad80ba495980f.jpg

Overall take-aways:

It's more or less the same Six Flags, operations were about the same (for better or for worse) when we hit Super Man, they were actually keeping trains from stacking!  Food service on the other hand was as awful, we tried to use the online ordering system and ended up waiting for an hour and a half for food. (longest that day)

I'll be back when the weather is warmer and Mind Bender is open.

Goliath x 4

Batman x 1

DDD x 1

Blue Hawk x 1

GASM x 2

SUF x 1

Mine Train x 1

TC x 2 

Nice report.

That’s cool that they’re alerting guests of changing elevations. If only there were some kind of ride that could magically take guests up or down that steep hill near Lickskillet on like a cable or something... that would be some crazy sh*t, right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

the way around the photo flip, is you need to open the photos to "edit" - then do a reverse image, save, then reverse image (back to the original) and save.   it will save them in the correct orientation, and when you upload them to TPR then orientation isn't basing off your phone.

there's a discussion about this issue from when I was having the same problem  after the site upgraded (in the thread about TPRs new look). .    but that's the workaround fix I found.

it doesn't happen on EVERY picture, but it has something to do with the way the iPhone is saving the orientation, and that messes up when uploading to the site here.

just FYI :)

• Like 2

Not surprised that the Skybuckets are done. These type rides have been on decline for years and it was only a matter of time before SFoG closed theirs. The only real surprise is that they lasted as long as they did. I suspect their age and also insurance costs played a role but I suspect the final nail in the coffin was Covid.

I know it is not very Six Flags like and also unlikely to happen but I would love for SFoG to replace these with either a modern day chairlift or gondola.

Nice report.
That’s cool that they’re alerting guests of changing elevations.

Imagine signs like that at Dollywood…

Honestly I think they are Inglewood and a east of space. Did the paths change or did they suddenly decide after decades that people need such warnings?

I remember SFOG being much more hilly than I expected during my first visit, but not to the point where signs are necessary. I am curious to know their reasoning for that as well.

Maybe they should put one at SFMM. The path from Jet Stream up to Ninja, which passes by the Full Throttle tunnel, is still the steepest walkway I have every experienced at a park.

I'm fairly certain there has been a sign there for years saying the left side going to Acrophobia is a steeper incline.  (maybe I'm just thinking about Dollywood between Thunderhead nad the front gate)

I suspect it's for ADA reasons. I know that ramps can't be steeper than a certain amount to meet ADA standards, and I suspect the signs are there to let people know when the walkways exceed that amount.

I don't know why these signs were only put in now. Perhaps it's a change in park policy or local regulations, who knows.

• Like 1

I spent less than 2 hours at the park today(Sun).

I was able to get 2 rides on TS and 3 on Goliath.

My last ride was on GASM, I was curious to see if they did any work to it during the off season.

On my way out at about 12:15 I saw park president Dale K out front. I asked him if they were still on schedule for the re-tracking of GASM for it's 50th anniversary in 2023. This time the story seemed completely different from the last. He of course blamed Covid for them being behind but he also seemed he backed away from the words I used re-tracking.

I may be wrong but i'm betting the fantasy of a refurbished GASM seems unlikely now. I think they may do some patch work but I remember being told specifically the track was being replaced almost entirely.

On another subject he did give me some details about Mindbender. Instead of (2) 7 car trains there will now be (3) 5 car trains.  I'm sure that means they have to modify the braking/staging system to accommodate the extra train. He didn't tell me a time frame for it's opening, but I would think Memorial day would be a good guess. The track looked complete from the angle I was looking but it still needs to be painted and tested.

I imagine the park will be packed by mid day today, it was getting pretty crowded and there was still a long line of cars waiting to get in.

Everyone really wants to get out of the house, please be safe!!!