TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Hello, I'm new on the TPR forums as a member, but I have been a reader for a while. Anyways I have planned a trip to Great America this Sunday or Monday, I have heard that Goliath has been down and I was wondering if maybe it was up an running by then, I have contacted the park with my concerns on Goliath and they have said that they are doing everything they can, apparently in a storm some cables were frayed or something similar to that. Thanks Again!

Sounds like this may be an extended problem with Goliath... Others have posted that the train is still sitting on the lift hill, same place it's been since Thursday...

Went there a week ago I think it was. This new meal pass is great! Now I can get a pretzel, funnel cake, ice cream, nachos, or another good option along with lunch and dinner. The two free red sports bottles is a great touch too. The Peking Acrobats are amazing. They do some really insane stuff. Ended up speaking with the manager there who had 16 years of service. Seemed like a really good person who puts in a lot of effort. We didn't start going on rides til around 7 I think. Viper didn't seem to be dispatching any slower than usual. Pretty much a walk up aside from there being 10-15 people in line for each row. Raging Trimbrake is not something I'd care to ride much more if not for my wife insisting we ride it. Wait was about 10-15 min. The trim is just not in a good spot and the ride is a bit choppy(as are most all the other coasters here). The constant up and down reminds me of those motion simulators at Universal. My distaste for helixes and 200+ foot drops is growing too. Demon was a walk up. Riding the same as last year.

Goliath's line was looking to be about an hour not accounting for flash passers. X-Flight's line was just in front of the key hole. We ended up taking a break for a while and then going on Batman. Another 15 min line. I'm not sure if it's the new paint or what, but it seems to be running smoother than ever. Everything is feeling awesome on the ride. Just wish it was like ten seconds longer with another inversion or two or some cool non-inverting element. At least it doesn't waste any track. Then they closed the park at 9, which I'm not sure was the intended closing time.

It was great to see the crowds were huge but the lines weren't. The back lot wasn't very full but the park didn't seem to be lacking visitors at all. Maybe I'll go back again next week. At least now I can get a worthwhile snack. It may end up that I don't care about riding much beyond Batman. The other coasters were starting to lose their luster with me and it's just increasing.

Hello, I'm new on the TPR forums as a member, but I have been a reader for a while. Anyways I have planned a trip to Great America this Sunday or Monday, I have heard that Goliath has been down and I was wondering if maybe it was up an running by then, I have contacted the park with my concerns on Goliath and they have said that they are doing everything they can, apparently in a storm some cables were frayed or something similar to that. Thanks Again!

No chance of Goliath being open.

Honestly I think we'd be lucky to see it run this month.

I'm going to six flags great America at the end of July. I'm planning for two days Friday Saturday anyone think I need a Flash Pass? How much are they web site doesn't say how are the crowds at the end of July do you think I need a flash pass?

Also can you do multiple rides on one ride same time or would you do the flash pass if you want to re ride again with out a 40 to 90 minute wait?

I'm going to six flags great America at the end of July. I'm planning for two days Friday Saturday anyone think I need a Flash Pass? How much are they web site doesn't say how are the crowds at the end of July do you think I need a flash pass?

Also can you do multiple rides on one ride same time or would you do the flash pass if you want to re ride again with out a 40 to 90 minute wait?

Yeah, you're going to need a Flash Pass. I went last year on a Monday and Tuesday the end of July, and the pass was very much worth it. On Monday I did all the rides that weren't on the Flash Pass, and on Tuesday I got the Platinum Flash Pass and rode the rides that were included all day.

You can ride everything except for Goliath and Vertical Velocity twice in a row with the Platinum. Vertical Velocity you can reserve as many times as you want, but only one ride per reservation. Goliath you get two reservations per day and only one ride per reservation.

When I make reservation I'm going to buy the tickets online. At the gate says $67.99 plus tax online $45.99 save about $20 with tax not to mention $25 parking why so high. I also called a repersenative said I should do the thrill pass but I'm only going for two days not worth it the flash pass might be better then thrill pass.

When I make reservation I'm going to buy the tickets online. At the gate says $67.99 plus tax online $45.99 save about $20 with tax not to mention $25 parking why so high. I also called a repersenative said I should do the thrill pass but I'm only going for two days not worth it the flash pass might be better then thrill pass.

The thrill pass is $67.99, same as the one-day non-discounted admission, and only $20 more than the discounted admission. It includes unlimited admission until September 12. If you're going for two days, I would buy the thrill pass. Then buy the flash pass for one of those days. Or see if they still sell twickets but I doubt it.

Even though you're going for two days, I would definitely get a Flash Pass on one of those days because SFGAm is one of those parks where you should expect at least an hour-long wait for most rides, even on weekdays. I would also recommend at least getting the Gold or Platinum Flash Pass because the Regular Pass really won't buy you any more time.

The trip looked expensive but doesn't I'm probably going to buy the thrill pass parking two days $50.00. I know I'm going to do it right this year I'm going to buy the flash pass for two days I check the rates for motel 6 and super 8 three miles from the park around $145 not bad two nights. How much is the flash pass? I'm going July 28 August 5. Thanks for the info.

The trip looked expensive but doesn't I'm probably going to buy the thrill pass parking two days $50.00. I know I'm going to do it right this year I'm going to buy the flash pass for two days I check the rates for motel 6 and super 8 three miles from the park around $145 not bad two nights. How much is the flash pass? I'm going July 28 August 5. Thanks for the info.

Flash Pass is $110/person per day for Platinum, $70 per person per day for Gold. I think there's a cheaper tier of flash pass for $45 but it's not really worth it because it doesn't reduce your wait time, just holds your spot.

Quick question: What weekends would be the least crowd heavy from late August to before the beginning of Fright Fest? We'd like to make a trip to the park but don't feel that it'd be worth it to visit on a day with 1-2.5 hour waits, which is what it seems like the average day at SFGAm. Are there any weekends like that in the fall?

Went yesterday around 3. Most everything was a walk up or close to it. Triple Play was a lot more fun than I remember. Whizzer was about 20 min with half the wait time occurring after we reached the stairs. Riding slightly better than last year and I probably had more fun on this than anything aside from Batman. Screams and Dreams 3 was a lot better than I thought it'd be. Demon had no line so we got on almost immediately upon reaching the gate. Tried to relax on the loops instead of my usual routine and thought my neck would snap. You really havta lean your neck forward some and move it a little at various points. So far this year we've just been on the yellow train. It's so choppy that I would not mind at all if they replaced this with a B&M floorless. X-Flight is getting rougher as people have noted. They could rename it X-Demon if it keeps it up. The line was just slightly outside the main building. Flash passers almost exclusively go to the right side, so go left if there are some. Yesterday there were about 20 instead of 200-300. Don't get it at all when people say X is not forceful. It pulls some pretty extreme Gs. The ride op pushed the harness down too far and the ride pushed it in further ala Batman so it was like torture riding. I don't recall X-Flight forces pushing the harness in during the ride before. Always seemed like the harness stayed where it was. Eagle red was doing double rides and this really makes the wait time bad even with barely a line. I swear that thing jumps the track before going up the first big hill. The speeds seem almost out of control so I see why they trim it. In this instance I think the trims help as I havta use a lot of arm strength to push or pull on the bar to keep my torso from slamming around.

The portions given out now plus the snack make me think one dining pass is enough for two people. There's a lot better options for dining now too. Consuming everything they give out makes it a lot harder to ride a bunch of stuff. Those flatbread pizzas by Eagle are a foot long I swear. There's enough variety that I plan to go back to use my dining pass as much as to ride stuff. Batman ran top notch again. Seems that row 3 might have shorter belts than row 7 because I couldn't fit my wife in 3 at all but 7 wasn't too difficult. The lead thought we line jumped via the exit since no one informed him that we were waiting for the next train to go back to 7. Then he was cool when someone informed him. This was the first time they used a grouper. Batman was basically a walk up aside from 20 people waiting for the front. And they actually had people waiting for the front stay to the right with an op coming down the stairs to organize it all. Big improvement.

We didn't end up riding anything else or staying for the ERT. Their were some great employees there. Horatio, Manuel, and I think the other guy with Horatio was named Eduardo and was from Ecuador.

I have some pics of Sky Trek being stuck but they weren't very clear. Saw the blind guy with the walking stick again. He must go there everyday. Still amazed how he knew exactly when Giant Drop was going to go 3 years ago. Some people bought the flash pass even though Goliath was down. I'm not sure how it is nowadays, but when I did buy flash passes, I thought the regular one worked as well as Gold or Platinum. Didn't even notice the ride times being different. There's no way it can know the exact wait time. And so many times we'd get the green light to ride the next ride but we'd still be waiting to ride the current ride or walking, so we couldn't take advantage of the reduced times. People don't realize that there can be a lot of waiting once you get to the flash pass employee's spot.

Flash pass is always worth it.

Very much a matter of opinion. Personally, I can't imagine it ever being worth it.

I visited the park in 2013. It was crowded as hell and I need 1.5 days to get on each coaster. I think I only got rerides on a couple coasters. I sincerely regret not getting a Flash Pass.

Unless the park is absolutely dead or you're visiting every single week, Flash Pass is worth it.

^I haven't been to SFGA but based on my GAvd visits I agree. I went there once in 2011 and got 1 ride on each coaster after awful waiting times and still didn't manage to ride all. In 2013 I got FP platinum and while pricey it was definitely worth it as I got a lot of rides on each coaster. It's especially good if you're travelling from far (I, for instance, had to cross the Atlantic and wanted to get on as many rides as possible)

^I haven't been to SFGA but based on my GAvd visits I agree. I went there once in 2011 and got 1 ride on each coaster after awful waiting times and still didn't manage to ride all. In 2013 I got FP platinum and while pricey it was definitely worth it as I got a lot of rides on each coaster. It's especially good if you're travelling from far (I, for instance, had to cross the Atlantic and wanted to get on as many rides as possible)

Exactly. I got FL+ for my Cedar Point visit (day after SFGAm) - made a world of a difference. I would've never ridden as much as I did that day had I not splurged.

Totally fine with someone not choosing FL/FL+/Flash Pass, though. One more person in front of which I can skip!