TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Logically, would it make more sense to attend Kings Island on the 4th (open till 10pm) as opposed to the 3rd or 5th (open till 7)? I’m wondering if the park capacity limit will be the same all 3 days, and if so, would it make any difference? (I’m assuming reservations will sell out for each day that weekend...but I could be wrong?)

Reservations are now available - looks like they have six slots (10:30, 11, 11:30, 12, 12:30) with 1,750 per slot.

With that in mind, capacity would be capped at 10,500 per day.

Thanks. Just reserved a 10:30 spot. I chickened out on SFOG this weekend because I wanted to hear a first hand account of how a weekend day went. Looking forward to coastering again.

Well, the limited hours and one-day-per-pass thing are a bummer, but hopefully they realize that they don't have that many willing season pass holders each day and will open up more. I'm booked for July 11th.

My bigger concern is that Cedar Point follows suit with that "one-day-per-pass during preview," especially if they're not offering FL.

10,500 still seems like a lot.

It does. Hence my 10:30 reservation. We are usually in and out in a few hours anyway. I just hope most coasters are running. I couldn't care less about flat rides.

My bigger concern is that Cedar Point follows suit with that "one-day-per-pass during preview," especially if they're not offering FL.

I think it's almost guaranteed. You only get 1 reservation for the first X days unless you stay in their hotel.

Hmmm, this could all be super annoying if you are planning multi park road trip. Plan it out but then potentially cannot get a reservation in one park on the day you need to be there and then have to start all over. I wonder how fast they will fill up the first few weeks.

Reservations are now available - looks like they have six slots (10:30, 11, 11:30, 12, 12:30) with 1,750 per slot.

With that in mind, capacity would be capped at 10,500 per day.

Where did these numbers come from?

When you pick a time slot, available # of slots are shown.

Got my reservation for 11:30 on the 2nd! I was hoping for an earlier reservation but hey, I don't usually get up very early anyway so maybe it's for the best. I'm also hoping they end up letting passholders go more than once if all the slots don't fill up, but I'm just glad that I can go at all!

I agree 10,500 seems like a pretty high number to start with.

I would think that is a relatively slow/moderate summer weekday crowd. Capacity is probably somewhere between 30-35k, so that would be 30%? (Just guessing based on other parks capacity numbers).

And that wouldn't be the number of people in the park at any one time - so the number in would be less at any given time.

SF Great Adventure's "capacity" from 1998-2003 (the years I worked there) was only around 25,000, so yeah I'd say that 10,000 is a normal summer day's attendance. We usually hit maybe 15,000 on a Saturday.

So the whole only once during passholder preview seems a bit ridiculous. I was trying to come up for a weekend (long weekend plus 2 days) spend two days at KI, two days at CP on the preview days 9,10 then 11,12 and do some other stuff, but KI specifically says no double days but when logging in to get my reservation literally 10 total reservations had been made from the hourly mark which means no one will be there, but surely also it should be more open to do multiple days. My Home Park Hershey has it set up to allow for up to 3 days reservation at a time and that seems fair.

My home CF park has nothing set up up yet for even opening (dorney).

This is just a theory, but I *think* it's more of a technical limitation of their reservation system. Think of it this way:

This system just uses their existing ticketing system. By making a reservation, you're "buying" a dedicated-for-one-specific day ticket that happens to be free. When you buy a regular daily ticket, it has a unique code which is used to identify it, so if you buy multiple of course you can register for as many tickets as you bought. With a Season Pass, that unique code is your pass number. For a system set up to accept these unique codes for a single day, which they have to be to function as any sort of actual reservation system, your unique code can't be in the system twice. This is a limitation of using their existing ticketing system for reservations, and in contrast to parks that have set up dedicated reservation systems, which they can make do whatever they want.

Yes, it sucks (I'll be counting on the ability to make my second reservation immediately after I check in on my first day and went so far as to get a room at an expensive CP-hotel to avoid the nonsense up there), but just me geeking-out a little bit trying to figure out "why."

As for Dorney, their county isn't even giving them the green light until Friday, so yeah its expected that they wouldn't have anything in place.

So the whole only once during passholder preview seems a bit ridiculous. I was trying to come up for a weekend (long weekend plus 2 days) spend two days at KI, two days at CP on the preview days 9,10 then 11,12 and do some other stuff,

Yeah. Uh. Sorry about your luck, but we all had other plans this year....