TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventuredome Discussion Thread

So I went last Saturday to ride El Loco and thought it was great. The line was always long but It moved quickly. I really like the trains with the music playing and just how comfortable they are. I found riding on the left front seat the best.

^^^Cool, so I just barely got both Chaos and the tower. I guess I was right in thinking they'd have the presence of mind to try to have everything running for Easter weekend.

El Loco is a fantastic addition and (as a first-time visitor) I can't imagine the place without it. Most of what I experienced, I recognized from numerous play-by-plays, which have all been spot-on. Plenty of hangtime, "Loco" turns, and a couple pops of air, all in an interesting environment. I personally didn't think the music added too much--a couple times I think I just zoned out on it, which at least means it's not obnoxiously loud. The trains were comfortable and operations were efficient. Reports that the full switchback portion is about a 15 minute wait seemed accurate to me.

Canyon Blaster is one of the better Arrows, as often reported, and possibly my favorite inverting one. It was also efficiently run and I enjoyed how the setting and theming added to it. Like El Loco it gives some fun forces including both air and positives, though even in magic seats it wasn't perfectly smooth.

I found it unusual that even though they heavily pushed locking storage with multiple signs, they not only allowed but possibly required purses and bags of many shapes and sizes on both coasters. While not totally unheard of, it's an odd contrast to the exceedingly strict policies at nearby New York New York. (The fluffy bunnies are reasonable at $1 for one use, meaning up to all day if unopened, and I felt better using them to ensure my stuff was secure.)

• 2 weeks later...
The park closes at 6:00pm on weekdays? While I don't expect 12:00am close, 6:00pm does seem a bit early.

Your definition of "early" will change if you come to china for a while. Most parks open at 10, rides open at 11, and close at 6:00.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Fright Dome fires up ‘The Texas Chainsaw Massacre’

In the horror-film genre, the most exciting form of massacre is, of course, a chainsaw massacre. Preferably achieved in the great state of Texas.

Fright Dome is teaming with the great horror director Tobe Hooper and writer Kim Henkel to feature one of the most familiar and frightening titles ever in scary films, “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” when the attraction opens at Circus Circus on Oct. 3.

One of the half-dozen haunted houses taking over the back parking lot of the otherwise circus- and clown-themed resort is an ode to that movie, celebrating its 40th anniversary this Halloween season.

Fright Dome has long featured actors wielding chainsaws (absent the chains, thankfully, but never has evoked the film that sparked that method of horror).

“I am thrilled we are able to work with such a renowned brand this year,” Fright Dome owner Jason Egan said in a statement. “Being able to utilize a movie of this magnitude as a partner is quite an honor. For the past 12 years, we have been extremely fortunate to work with some of the best in the horror industry.”

Fright Dome is annually listed among the most popular haunted attractions in the country. Egan also is opening Fright Dome attractions in Hong Kong and Boston for the Halloween season.

One of the city’s most successful entrepreneurs of any age division, the 35-year-old graduate of the University of Nebraska in Omaha has grown Fright Dome to forge partnerships with such horror-industry stars as “Saw,” “The Collector,” “The Collection” and “Project Greenlight” producer-director Marcus Dunstan and makeup wizard Gary Tunnicliffe (“My Bloody Valentine,” “Scream” and “Blade” among the horror films on his resume).

The Strip attraction draws about 100,000 visitors a year, a number that only increases each year.

Egan’s operation covers 5 acres, features six houses and employs about 400 actors and staffers for every monthlong run.

The horror attraction also will feature five new haunted houses, including a solo haunted house, “Isolation.” Visitors will enter alone, navigate through “a labyrinth of industrial corridors filled with traps, crazed inhabitants and those that have ventured in before them but never escaped,” as the company news release says. Also, Egan promises, “Endless passages make each person prey in this shadowy haunted experience.”

Prey, and pray, too. Both variations apply at Fright Dome.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2014/aug/15/fright-dome-fires-texas-chainsaw-massacre/

http://www.frightdome.com/

Wait where is the new track coming from?

To answer your question seriously, my guess would be the S&S plant in Utah. I hear they still do a lot of work on the old Arrows. Can't imagine anywhere else it would come from...plus it's not all that far away.

Yeah that would have had to come from S&S. They "are" Arrow Dynamics nowdays. Someone above mentioned that were glad to see Chaos being refurbed, and this for me is 2x as awesome. Very cool to see someone taking that kind of care for an old Arrow Looper, but Adventuredome has a well earned reputation for taking fantastic care of their rides.

Wait where is the new track coming from?

To answer your question seriously, my guess would be the S&S plant in Utah. I hear they still do a lot of work on the old Arrows. Can't imagine anywhere else it would come from...plus it's not all that far away.

Yeah that would have had to come from S&S. They "are" Arrow Dynamics nowdays. Someone above mentioned that were glad to see Chaos being refurbed, and this for me is 2x as awesome. Very cool to see someone taking that kind of care for an old Arrow Looper, but Adventuredome has a well earned reputation for taking fantastic care of their rides.

Intermountain Lift, Inc. In Springville, Utah has done work for Arrow and S&S, so they are the other possibility. In fact, I may have a photo of those track elements in the yard at Intermountain Lift back in June.

Intermountain Lift, Inc. In Springville, Utah has done work for Arrow and S&S, so they are the other possibility. In fact, I may have a photo of those track elements in the yard at Intermountain Lift back in June.

I always thought that s and s made all the parts for the older arrow coasters.

I always thought that s and s made all the parts for the older arrow coasters.

S&S does supply Spare Parts. Track Elements are not Parts. S&S may have fabricated the new track elements, but there were Track Elements in the yard at Intermountain Lift that did not appear to be for any of the Premier LSM Shuttles or Cannibal at Lagoon.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my first visit to the park today. Canyon Blaster was a little rougher than I expected..it was about the same as most Arrow loopers to me. The park was making absolutely no effort to check tickets or wristbands, everyone was just walking on as they pleased. I rode twice, once in front and once in the magic arrow seat. Interesting how its about 90 degrees at the top of the lift hill and about 20 degrees in the tunnel at the end. Not that I don't get it, just interesting.

El Loco was different, it had a small queue and they were dilligently checking everyone's tickets/bands. I ended up riding 4 times, once in each seat. Line jumpers were aggravating, which I guess should be expected at Circus Circus, but it was a little annoying the same two kids cut right in front of me two rides in a row. What am I going to do though, yell at kids? It was still only like a 5 minute wait even with the line jumpers, so nothing to get your panties in a bunch about. I think they knew theres nothing anyone could do so they just cut at will. Anyway, very fun ride and very smooth especially considering the elements. Only con is it seems even shorter when riding than it did watching the POV initially. Very fun and different ride though, I loved it.

I also decided (for some reason) to go down to Primm and ride the Desperado. Now I had previously ridden Manhattan Express at NYNY which I didn't think was nearly as bad as everyone complains about, and I rode it 10 times in a row no problem. Desperado, however, is every bit as bad as Robb's video makes it out to be. It feels like there's quite a bit of play in between the upstop wheels and the track. Any time the car goes into a valley its like the entire train just thuds into the bottom of it. There also seems to be no give whatsoever horizontally as the train throws you left and right like a rag doll through the turns. I managed to ride it twice (with a healthy break in between rides) just to get my money's worth for the $15. I was planning on 3 rides but scratched the third. I rode it in the front row the first time, then thought maybe it wont be quite as bad in the middle (it was) and then thought no way am I riding this in the back row.

I did like the serious ejector airtime over one of the hills and the little helix through the building was cool, but the rest of that ride can die in a fire.

I have not ridden Desperado yet, but I did also find NYNY to not be as bad as people say. I would take that over Viper at SFMM or an SLC any day. I was even able to ride NYNY with my hands in the air during the first and last few hills without feeling much pain. My suggestions to ride defensively are to lock the shoulder pads down really tight, lean your head forward the whole ride, and lean your neck into every turn. (On a left turn, press your neck to the right, and opposite for right turns). I have only ridden one time, but I actually enjoyed the ride. However, I would still rather ride a coaster like El Loco, in which I do not have to worry about defensive riding and more easily enjoy the ride.

Yeah Desperado was definitely rougher than Magnum. Magnum wasnt really that bad except on my legs from the airtime, but I was already sore from Mean Streak so its kinda hard to judge. Mean Streak was the only ride I've ever had rougher than Desperado...Mean Streak felt like it was going to give me a hernia, only time I honestly thought I was going to be injured when I got off the ride. Desperado wasnt anywhere near that league, it was just painful to the point of being unfun.

Go get the NYNY credit thrillseeker. If you're not especially sensitive to rough rides its not that bad and it offers a pretty nice view. (I love the part in Robb's video when he goes through the dive loop and wonders out loud "Why is that the smoothest part of the ride?" lol)

I agree that Magnum is much smoother and a way better ride than Desperado. Honestly, Desperado wasn't that bad, though it wasn't that great of a ride and is only worth the coaster credit. Plus, the rides at Buffalo Bill's are really ghetto and are barely maintained. Gotta love the smell of rotting wood in the log flume's tunnel.