TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, Jason Maier said:

Don't know how exciting HITP will be here; considering Gotham City is closed off.

May as well check it out one day.

Hasn't it always been closed for HITP?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Hasn't it always been closed for HITP?

Yes. This event is exactly the same as it's been for a half-a-decade. Firebird, Mind Eraser, Ragin Cajun, Roar and Wild One will be open along with all non-water rides in the front of the park. Everything behind Wild One will be closed.

• 1 month later...

The park's christmas setup is very pretty this year. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos, I will try again on Sunday.

If you're someone who usually skips Roar, I would recommend riding it this year in the front it's absolutely fabulous especially in the dark.

Wild One's trim is really hitting, anyone know what's up with that? Does the cold make the wood more brittle or something? The change was made right before the festival, was running nearly totally off all summer. Still a 9.5/10 coaster.

The straight up lies on the station signs always make me laugh. One sign claims it was reprofiled to install the log flume, but there are POV's of the ride in its original configuration with the log flume running. Another claims the top speed was increased with the reprofile, it wasn't it was actually lowered. It was the net speed that was increased due to the removal of a trim in the first half. 

The bottom of the first drop was raised about 10ft in the modification. I'm not sure if the trains were changed in that same year, but even if they were I don't think the heavier trains would have made enough of a difference to offset the drop size change. I suppose it's possible it reaches a higher top speed at the bottom of the second hill than it used to at the first but who knows. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, coasterbill said:

Per the app, it looks like Opening Day will be March 26th, 3 weeks later than last year…

It’s like Cedar Fair and Six Flags switched places.

Actually saw opening day for SFA is March 19th :)

• 3 weeks later...

Roar opened today. The park seems to be doing pretty well, the ops are fantastic this year, super nice and lots of interaction with guests. I've always thought the ops here, if not always the fastest, interact with the guests a lot more than other parks I've been to. Batwing wasn't open but it was good to see them working on it all day. Everything else was open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

When I went back on April 12th, I noticed some retracking/fresh wood on Roar. Good progress, I'd prefer Titan Tracking and MF trains though.

And I wonder how much longer Batwing stays around. It usually opens an hour later than the other rides, and maintenance dreads working on it. I know the second train was repurposed for a parts donor, but with no fresh parts being made for Flying Dutchmans anymore you got to wonder ...

12 hours ago, Jason Maier said:

And I wonder how much longer Batwing stays around. It usually opens an hour later than the other rides, and maintenance dreads working on it. I know the second train was repurposed for a parts donor, but with no fresh parts being made for Flying Dutchmans anymore you got to wonder ...

I'm not a fan of Batwing or Nighthawk, but what do you mean by "no fresh parts being made anymore"? They're made by Vekoma, right? I'd assume that if either Six Flags or Cedar Fair needs a part they'd be able to get it direct from them, no?

On 5/5/2022 at 9:43 AM, coneyislandchris said:

I'm not a fan of Batwing or Nighthawk, but what do you mean by "no fresh parts being made anymore"? They're made by Vekoma, right? I'd assume that if either Six Flags or Cedar Fair needs a part they'd be able to get it direct from them, no?

A friend I have worked for SFA for several years, and apparently Vekoma no longer sells parts for Flying Dutchman, so SFA must fabricate parts themselves or with local machine shops.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:08 PM, Jason Maier said:

And I wonder how much longer Batwing stays around. It usually opens an hour later than the other rides

Guessing it’s open later than everything else because it’s farther back in the park than everything else.  Probably smart time management to not open the ride when no one would even show up in line for the first 30 minutes (really, who wouldn’t stop first at Superman before going to Batwing?) and not able to fill a full train for the next 30 minutes?  Maybe giving them too much credit but the schedule probably comes from actual rider volume.  Seems like a lot of parks are more smartly scheduling their limited staff where the crowds actually are at the start of the day and later opening rides that take a long time for the masses to work their way back to.

• 1 month later...

Considering making my first visit here for the first time since 2008 and to activate my pass.  Does anybody know if Superman has been operating lately?  It is listed as closed on the app so I want to see if that was just a temporary thing or if it's been closed for a few days.  If so then well it should be a quick visit to grab Firebird and Cajun then jump on the wooden coasters, Joker, and Harley Quinn and head back south to KD.  

• 1 month later...

So it would appear that Whistlestop Park and Coyote Creek, the entire sections of attractions have been removed from Six Flags Americas website, and one of the facebook fansites is reporting that they are closed for the season just kind of out of absolutely nowhere.  Not sure what this indicates but it's somewhat alarming to see two entire sections shut down for the season in August maybe something happened to the power grid they are on?  Very odd.