TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I'm pretty excited about this, actually. The Reese's tower is kind of stupid, but the Double Shot-sized tower and Hershey bar towers are cool. It seems like they're all running the combo tower program on all of them if you read the description, and that's easily the best S&S tower type.

I think only the Hershey bar tower is a combo tower, based on the presentation.

I'm pretty excited about this, actually. The Reese's tower is kind of stupid, but the Double Shot-sized tower and Hershey bar towers are cool. It seems like they're all running the combo tower program on all of them if you read the description, and that's easily the best S&S tower type.

Reeses and Kisses are double shots. Only Hershey is a combo.

The demographic of people who are afraid of a 189 foot tower but are totally cool with a 131 foot tower most likely does not exist and I applaud the sales team at S&S for convincing them that buying it was a good idea.

Just bringing this nugget of truth over to this page.

HAHAHA I don't really understand the point of having the three different sized towers with the same height requirement. Also, the smaller two have the same ride type, just different height? WHY?! I'm so confused

Well, watching the top of the Reese's tower go by as you ascend the Hershey tower should add to the scare factor, if you're facing that direction. That's something, anyway. Weird idea, for sure. I find S&S drop towers at least a little more intense than most people here make them out to be, so imo this should be a pretty solid addition.

In related "future expansion" news, the new images from Google Maps show the initial stages of the re-routing of Park Blvd. It really helps one visualize the amount of land the park would have available to it should it choose to expand beyond its current footprint, which it has hinted at wanting to do.

hpnewroad.thumb.jpg.1c5199b03951042df44d7a0d5f89babb.jpg

Ahh, possibilities...

I love Hersheypark...They could have just added the small doubleshot tower and I would have been fine with it. I swear they could have added a 500 foot drop tower and people would still gripe about it. But anyways, great addition for the park...Can't wait to get back!

In related "future expansion" news, the new images from Google Maps show the initial stages of the re-routing of Park Blvd. It really helps one visualize the amount of land the park would have available to it should it choose to expand beyond its current footprint, which it has hinted at wanting to do.

I never knew this was a thing but it's incredibly exciting.

I never knew this was a thing but it's incredibly exciting.

maxresdefault.jpg

I do agree that it is rather redundant that they will be having three very similar towers of three different heights (sounds kinda like an attraction that could be themed to "Goldilocks and the three bears", if at a different park....). However, with all of the speculation about this being some kind of drop tower, I am happy to know that this will at least be something I can ride. I have no interest at all in towers that do nothing but drop, and so I was assuming this would be something I'd never want to ride anyway.

But I do like space shots and double shots, and those are the only drop towers I will ride.

So despite this new attraction being kind of lackluster in many peoples' opinions (yes, I would have also hoped for something a bit more exciting), at least it is something I might ride if I want to take a break from coasters for a while.

I do like space shots and double shots, and those are the only drop towers I will ride. So despite this new attraction being kind of lackluster in many peoples' opinions (yes, I would have also hoped for something a bit more exciting), at least it is something I might ride if I want to take a break from coasters for a while.

You are not the first person I have heard say that they only ride certain type of towers, so to me two tower with differing programs fill a need for a park lacking a tower ride.

Regarding the third tower, let's remember Hershey is a big family park and an 80 foot tower is a progression from a 20 foot Frog Hooper for a kid.

As far as people saying that S&S pulled a fast one by selling three towers instead of two, there is no way we can know this. Maybe Hershey being in the power position negotiated for a third tower at no (or minimal) additional cost. Yes, that happens in business every day. S&S towers are not exactly a thriving market nowadays.

Lastly, aesthetically I think the three towers will look nice next to each other.

I guess I sort of get the 80 foot tower (actually I haven't seen many complaints about that one). It's the 131 foot (Reeses) tower that's amazingly pointless to me. There's no need to debate it though, let's just wait and see how long the queue for each tower is once the ride's been open for a little while.

And as far as the joke about the sales guy, I was going for a laugh. If you told me that's how it happened I wouldn't be shocked but of course we don't know how any of this actually went down.

This is a very peculiar edition, and demonstrates the dangers of trying to please everyone--no one is really happy. I understand the park's desire to make sure they are family friendly, but adding the smaller 80 foot tower appears to be why the tallest tower is so.... short. Visually it would look weird to have a 80 foot tower next to a huge 250ft tower and they might have some height restrictions. I remember there being some issues with even getting Skyrush approved. It will be a pretty unique edition to the park's skyline, especially at night.

There are people who are way smarter than I that get paid to think about these decisions, but who is really going to ride the intermediary tower? I imagine that kids will want to ride the 80 foot tower, and thrill seekers will want to ride the 189ft tower; with many people passing on the 130ft tower. I know Hershey Park has been criticized for lacking a drop tower, but now the new knock will be that that Hershey does not have a legit drop tower, imo.

The one positive thing that I don't think anyone can deny is how great the views will be from these towers. Just like Mach Tower at BGW, the ground drops off right next to this spot - the tallest tower is only 190 feet tall, but if you sit on the river side it's at least going to feel a lot higher.

That being said, S&S towers are some of the weakest of the bunch - I think I'm mostly just disappointed that this is going to be Hershey's drop tower for years to come.

There are people who are way smarter than I that get paid to think about these decisions, but who is really going to ride the intermediary tower? I imagine that kids will want to ride the 80 foot tower, and thrill seekers will want to ride the 189ft tower; with many people passing on the 130ft tower.

My sentiments exactly.

There are people who are way smarter than I that get paid to think about these decisions, but who is really going to ride the intermediary tower? I imagine that kids will want to ride the 80 foot tower, and thrill seekers will want to ride the 189ft tower; with many people passing on the 130ft tower.

My sentiments exactly.

Maybe the middle tower was meant for people who are smart and know how to avoid long waits.

My sentiments exactly.

Maybe the middle tower was meant for people who are smart and know how to avoid long waits.

CapEx geared toward the theme park customer that doesn't exist.