TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I gotta say, the final County Fair product looks kinda disappointing. Electro Spin was down for preview night and kinda looks like crap (the paint job is so ugly). In addition, the area lacks anything interesting lighting-wise (which I hope is temporary, but I doubt it), and the area itself looks kinda bland. Overall, not impressed so far.

I gotta say, the final County Fair product looks kinda disappointing. Electro Spin was down for preview night and kinda looks like crap (the paint job is so ugly). In addition, the area lacks anything interesting lighting-wise (which I hope is temporary, but I doubt it), and the area itself looks kinda bland. Overall, not impressed so far.

I see where you're coming from. Maybe it will look a little nicer once everything has settled and vegetation has grown (if any). It's still only March, so I imagine it may look a little better as the summer months arrive.

I'm so underwhelmed with the area tbh. I'm happy Carowinds got some much needed rides but the atmosphere is just blah. It's like the area has been there for years. The troika went down about 3 times, Cobra went down once, Rock N Roller went down once then closed for good around 8, Electro spin was down the whole night but testing. I was told it should be up and running no later then next weekend. The string lights overhead looks like the were just thrown up randomly on black poles, no light package on the troika, white [coastertube][/coastertube]lights on the musik express uh who does that and you could barely hear the music; nice theming tho. Electro Spin's paint job is ugly and no lights are on it as well. Not a ton of lights on the buildings as you would see at a county fair. It looks more like Christmas time than a county fair with all the white lighting. Zephyr is beautiful. Just wish the white lights blinked or chase. Hopefully they will tighten up the area over the next few weeks. The pavers and the textured concrete are nice. Drop Zone's paint job looks great.

Panda Express' new location is very nice and they have expanded the menu. Harmony Hall's grill section replaced the chicken sandwich with extra long hotdogs which are so good OMG. The burrito cafe food looks great, I'll try them sooner or later.

Metal detectors are here to stay as the have built new and ugly might I add permanent huts with new sophisticated walk through detectors.

FURY IS RUNNING GREAT!

Given the way they've been rushing to finish everything, I'm pretty confident in assuming that they're still putting finishing touches on the County Fair. I fully expect lighting packages coming in the near future, at least to the Troika since they're going around the chain adding LED lights to their Troika rides anyway. I know they've recently added them at KD and KI.

Also, when you go to a preview night or even an opening weekend, don't complain about breakdowns (especially on new rides) or a new complex flat ride not being ready. It blows my mind that anyone would have an issue with that... we should really expect this at this point (regardless of the park / chain) we're talking about. None of this should be a surprise.

PS: This isn't really a knock on you, pproteinc. Obviously you had the right idea which is to go ride Fury and forget all about the county fair . I just don't get how people don't come to expect this at this point.

^ It happens year after year in the forums on opening day - to the point where it's almost comical.

As you know, the CP thread after opening day is almost always a dumpster fire of non-stop bitching & complaining for about a week. In between those posts are the inevitable, "I'm going to CP on July 21st at 10:15 AM...how long do you think the lines will be that day? Will I need a Fast Lane +?"

As far as Elcectro Spin, I noticed last night that it looks like they still have to add lighting or something to it as you can see what looks like bolts all over it where something can/will be mounted to it. If you look close at the picture I took last night you can tell what I'm talking about.

20170324_195115.thumb.jpg.927d01ac5fcd8ca0b58fcb86e1479917.jpg

Given the way they've been rushing to finish everything, I'm pretty confident in assuming that they're still putting finishing touches on the County Fair. I fully expect lighting packages coming in the near future, at least to the Troika since they're going around the chain adding LED lights to their Troika rides anyway. I know they've recently added them at KD and KI.

Also, when you go to a preview night or even an opening weekend, don't complain about breakdowns (especially on new rides) or a new complex flat ride not being ready. It blows my mind that anyone would have an issue with that... we should really expect this at this point (regardless of the park / chain) we're talking about. None of this should be a surprise.

PS: This isn't really a knock on you, pproteinc. Obviously you had the right idea which is to go ride Fury and forget all about the county fair . I just don't get how people don't come to expect this at this point.

Maybe it's the perfectionist in me to have things done and perfect at a set date. I gave the benefit of the doubt that everything would be perfect by mid season and I was slammed down by a poster who thought all the rides should be working fine with no issues and the mere fact that these are fair rides that fair put up in a week and here they had four months.

I was just giving my review on what the area looks like and what the night entailed. I'm very happy to have these rides at Carowinds as they're much needed. I just happen to be more on the visually pleasing aspect of things as well. To me the area should be damn close to what Gemini's Midway looks at CP. Who am I tho.

I'm here now, I'm glad I searched this thread for tips before coming. Getting on nighthawk first was a great tip. The line wasn't even that long when we got on it but they take forever. For how nice the weather is plus opening day it's not as crowded as I expected it to be. Intimidator was a ton of fun. Saving fury for last.

As far as Elcectro Spin, I noticed last night that it looks like they still have to add lighting or something to it as you can see what looks like bolts all over it where something can/will be mounted to it. If you look close at the picture I took last night you can tell what I'm talking about.

Looks like they took the backs off of all the seats. Each row was a different color, with embedded LEDs. Also, they painted over the zigzag designs that were on the side of the base. I bet what they put back for finishing touches will be look great. They have to finish this, plus Rock N Roller's themed exterior (and maybe more lights on the interior) -- I predict the final product will be amazing.

I just noticed that on a different picture. Coaster Crew had a 360 picture on Facebook and I looked at Electro Spin and saw all those bolts and lines and how the seats looked bare. I'm sure they will put them on once they are done working on it. Carowinds said they hope to have Electro Spin up and running next weekend.

By the way, what ever happened to the Huss Breakdance? I think if they didn't plan to install it this year that they should have at least sent it to Michigan's Adventure since they aren't really getting anything. Well, except for that kiddie cove thing in the water park.

Looking at the photo of Electro Spin from last night that carolinaman had posted, it appears that Carowinds had removed the paint job on the main support arm that was there when the park had shared construction photos of Electro Spin. It's nothing overly important but, I thought I would just point it out. Electro Spin will look beautiful once fully completed as the seat backs have beautiful lights that really shine at night, especially if it has the flickering lights just like the ones on Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland.

don't complain about breakdowns (especially on new rides) or a new complex flat ride not being ready. It blows my mind that anyone would have an issue with that... we should really expect this at this point (regardless of the park / chain) we're talking about. None of this should be a surprise.

Yes, please complain about how a highly complex piece of machinery is not operating due to safety reasons--Especially to the ride operators.

1m3yk0.jpg.5de6149ebf0cab3db4501d266174dfe5.jpg

I've been at the park all weekend. Doing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Has anyone mentioned that Intimidator has all its trims turned off? Is this new for this season?

I've always thought Intimidator was the most boring B&M hyper but without trims it's pretty awesome! Really moved up in my ranking.

I've heard that the trims are off, but I'm skeptical of the fact that it'll stay that way. I just assume that the ride is running underspeed early in the season since the wheels are probably still breaking in and they were dealing with some low temperatures when they were cycling it in the days and weeks leading up to opening day.

^They are off and I hope they stay that way. Intimidator was at the very bottom of my B&M hyper list, while Goliath is likely the best (I've been on all except Mako in the US) but honestly the way Intimidator is running is comparable to Goliath now. You get sustained airtime and get kind of whipped over the last bit of each drop. Night and day compared to when they trims hit hard.

Most of the rides I have had on intimidator are just okay. The trims make it super controlled and rather forgettable for a 230 ft tall coaster.

I did have one ride in the middle of summer however where the trims were not hitting hard/ at all, and the ride was fantastic. Very strong floater air and a great contrast to Fury. I don't understand how Intamin can run a ride like El Toro or Skyrush where the trains just run wild, and then B&M designs a ride and decides that a trim is needed before two airtime hills.

This no trim era is potentially exciting, but the cold weather does slow the trains a lot. When I went to the park opening weekend two years ago, it was very cold. Intimidator was crawling through the course so trims might be off till it fully warms up? I'm not holding my breath for this to last.

I don't understand how Intamin can run a ride like El Toro or Skyrush where the trains just run wild, and then B&M designs a ride and decides that a trim is needed before two airtime hills.

during the design phase, parks often tell designers what "level" of intensity they want. This could be quantified by G-forces - in other words, nothing stronger than -0.2Gs for example. A park buying a B&M hyper is probably asking for something a little tamer than a park buying an Intamin. Not true 100% of the time but this is generally how it works.

during the design phase, parks often tell designers what "level" of intensity they want.

Makes sense. I would love to be a fly on the wall for this stage of design. I remember watching a documentary about building Fury where they sort of discussed this process. I think my question about Intimdator vs Intamin creations is better stated as "THIS RIDE IS SO DAMN GOOD WITHOUT TRIMS, WHY ARE THEY ON?"

. . . Intimidator was at the very bottom of my B&M hyper list, while Goliath is likely the best (I've been on all except Mako in the US) but honestly the way Intimidator is running is comparable to Goliath now. You get sustained airtime and get kind of whipped over the last bit of each drop. Night and day compared to when they trims hit hard.

Looks like I should change my expectations for Intimidator. Goliath was by far the most boring, underwhelming B&M Hyper I've ever been on. I can't imagine one worse.

I doubt the trims being off will stay that way. Aren't trims computer controlled, and automatically adjusted depending on the speed of the train as it approaches them?

. . . Intimidator was at the very bottom of my B&M hyper list, while Goliath is likely the best (I've been on all except Mako in the US) but honestly the way Intimidator is running is comparable to Goliath now. You get sustained airtime and get kind of whipped over the last bit of each drop. Night and day compared to when they trims hit hard.

I doubt the trims being off will stay that way. Aren't trims computer controlled, and automatically adjusted depending on the speed of the train as it approaches them?

DING! DING! DING!

Say the trim is set to regulate the train to 40mph. If you come into the trim at 50mph, it's going to bite "hard" and have enthusiasts bitching and moaning. If you come in at 42 mph, the trim may barely grab...

Now if an enthusiast is on a train that goes through at 38 mph, the trims won't come on at all. An enthusiast will then bust his/her nut over a "ZOMG! Best ride eva!" experience they had despite the ride running noticeably slower than normal.

^They are off and I hope they stay that way. Intimidator was at the very bottom of my B&M hyper list, while Goliath is likely the best (I've been on all except Mako in the US) but honestly the way Intimidator is running is comparable to Goliath now. You get sustained airtime and get kind of whipped over the last bit of each drop. Night and day compared to when they trims hit hard.

I totally agree! Intimidator is great without the trims off, and IS comparable to Goliath at SFOG, Diamondback, and Shambhala. The only reason why I don't like it as much as those top 3 hyper coasters (3-1 Shambhala is the best IMO) is because it doesn't constantly have the trims off. If it didn't have the trims on, it could possibly rank the same as Goliath for me. Goliath might be #1 or #2 for me if it always had the trims off after the helix because of the crazy ejector airtime. I really hope Intimidator stays like this.

I've always assumed that if the trim doesn't hit on a B&M coaster, the train just isn't going fast enough. You're cresting the hill at roughly the same speed. Are we sure these great trimless rides aren't just a psychological thing?

Now if an enthusiast is on a train that goes through at 38 mph, the trims won't come on at all. An enthusiast will then bust his/her nut over a "ZOMG! Best ride eva!" experience they had despite the ride running noticeably slower than normal.
I've always assumed that if the trim doesn't hit on a B&M coaster, the train just isn't going fast enough. You're cresting the hill at roughly the same speed. Are we sure these great trimless rides aren't just a psychological thing?

In my opinion, it's not about the extra 3 or so MPH. It's about not being abruptly slowed down during the only element type the ride has. When comparing my multiple trimless rides Saturday with my many trimmed rides in previous seasons, I think an Intimidator ride where it's running a few MPH slower than normal and not activating the trims (if that is indeed what's happening here) is better than a trimmed ride running a little faster up the hill. But that's just my opinion.

One more thing: I'm not sure it was running slower. It seemed to be flying along pretty good. But maybe that part is a psychological thing.