TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Thats what I heard. I found it quite comical while waiting in line on the 4th of July how every time a "Big scary cloud' would float just above Millennium they would close it. yet there was never any rainfall (From my perspective of course) and to my dissatisfaction, they were constantly switching trains, testing one train, switching them again. back and fourth for about an hour while also switching between closed and open. any one have any idea why they kept switching the trains by chance? (to help add to this, Millennium was on 2 train operation when I first went in line but right before I got to board I Believe they switched back to 3. not so sure about that though)

DSCN0609.thumb.JPG.5786daa914695f2feb932ae58b53724c.JPG

Just to give a good visual on what they closed Millennium for CONSTANTLY. It was complete overcast all day.

However, the trains are completely slowed and stopped by the magnetic brakes.

But magnetic braking force is directly proportional to the velocity of the vehicle (change in flux), so it's impossible for a train to be stopped by a magnetic brake unless the fins are made out of steel (steel is directly attracted to magnets), but the attraction to the magnets would be so strong that they would break off of the train, so manufacturers use copper plates instead to create an eddy current brake.

The point is, you can't use magnetic brakes to stop a train if you then want to get it moving again, so you have to use a drive tire as the block brake.

If the brake run was sloped though, wouldn't gravity do the job just as well as a drive tyre for getting it moving again?

Was at the park tonight... Got three laps on Gatekeeper and all had loose vests. Best rides I ever had. Front seat is epic now if you lean forward. Really allows better sensations while riding. Ride was flying tonight and ran really smooth each ride. I was blown away by my rides tonight, honestly.

Btw, park was so dead tonight. Walkon everything. Longest wait was for blue streak, believe it or not!

In a little less than three hours:

3x Gatekeeper (2 front seat)

3x Dragster

2x MF

Raptor

Blue Streak

Magnum

Maverick

We also enjoyed the empty park tonight. We sat in all 4 "corners" of Gatekeeper and all of the vests stayed loose. It was VERY comfortable. A bit of rattling/vibrations in some seats in the ride's valleys but otherwise smooth. I think we got 6 laps in total.

Also did a front and back row ride on Dragster. Single Magnum, Maverick and Raptor front front row rides. Also took a spin on Maxair, Windseeker and Wicked Twister. We also had two AMAZING rides on Millenium Force tonight. One 3rd row and one last row. I've never had airtime on it like tonight. It felt like it was running VERY fast. The airtime was much more intense than the floater air I'm very use to on it. I wish it would always run like this!

I was at the park also. This day is a yearly thing for me. Even though I live 3 hours away, I take the day off from work and make the drive because I usually do more in the 4 hours they are open, than in a regular mid-summer day!

Gatekeeper - 5

MF - 3

Raptor - 2

TTD - 1

Maverick - 1

Magnum - 1

WT - 1

MaXair - 1

I did have a "locked vest" ride on Gatekeeper sometime right after 9:00. I don't remember the exact row, but it was towards the back on the left side (3rd from the back maybe). Every other ride I had was unlocked. Also, the left side was very bumpy and shaky...I definitely preferred the right tonight.

The point is, you can't use magnetic brakes to stop a train if you then want to get it moving again, so you have to use a drive tire as the block brake.

If the brake run was sloped though, wouldn't gravity do the job just as well as a drive tyre for getting it moving again?

I'll rephrase. Making a moving vehicle come to a full stop using an eddy current brake is impossible, so the drive tire is used to stop the train via friction.

ANYWAY, great to hear about GateKeeper's restraints. My ride in July wasn't great. It was pretty rough (not intolerable, but bad for a B&M), especially considering how smooth the other Wing-Riders that I've been on were (Raptor and X-Flight). And anything to reduce the tightening is a good thing.

Once again Millennium Force wins Golden Ticket Award for best Steal Coaster. She's old, but she's still good! Over 13 million rides given!

Also once again Cedar Point Wins Best Amusement Park for 2013!

I just rode it for the first time, what a great ride! Pretty cool that I rode MF right as it was winning the award I got in from the airport and got to Sandusky about 8pm so I had time for only a couple of rides. I wanted to make the night rides count since tomorrow when I do the full day the park closes before dark. I only got two rides in but the first was a front row ride on Millennium Force and the other was a front row right ride on GateKeeper.

Millennium Force was as good as expected..smooth as I was expecting and with plenty of floater air Seemed fast, but then I have no other times riding it to compare it to. GateKeeper was a bit better than I expected, I've heard a lot of 'meh' reviews but it was significantly better than average! It seemed quite a bit faster than it looks from off the ride. I look forward to riding tomorrow in the day time when I can see the lake too.

Fairly busy out there tonight, when I got there GK Raptor and MF had hour waits, Twister, Iron Dragon, and Cork Screw looked to be about 30 mins. I didn't go further back than MF with the amount of time I had.

Planning on getting there at 10am tomorrow with early entry opening at 11..is that early enough? Ive heard there can be quite the line sometimes but tomorrow should be a much slower day I think.

^No need to get there a hour before early entry - any kind of line doesn't usually form until 15-20 minutes beforehand. If you get there 30 mins before you'll be way ahead of the pack especially considering tomorrow is one of the slowest weekend days of the year. Don't know where you are staying but if you are off point - park in the back and go in one of the back entrances, or walk from the main lot to the marina entrance - puts you halfway back in the park at opening

^ Thanks maybe I will trim another 20 minutes or so off. Im just at some random place on Milan, about 10 mins away. You remind me though it was weird when I drove in today at about 8pm I went to show my pass for parking and they said "Nah dont worry about it just go on" and then I kept getting waved closer and closer and I ended up parking so close (the slanted spots right at the main gate) I was sure I wasnt supposed to park there. I didn't see any reserved signs or parking placards though so I figured I was safe and all turned out well. Just one of those "it can't be this easy" moments.

I noticed tonight there was a Fast Lane entrance for Wicked Twister, I thought it wasn't included...is it an upgrade or something?

Once again Millennium Force wins Golden Ticket Award for best Steal Coaster. She's old, but she's still good! Over 13 million rides given!

Also once again Cedar Point Wins Best Amusement Park for 2013!

And Magnum XL 200 solidifies it's ranking as the most overrated coaster in the history of ever by being ranked as the 9th best steel coaster in the world ahead of I305. I love Magnum, but are you kidding me? When will this end?