TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point has an official update on Shoot the Rapids. The ride will not open this weekend as planned. Our preopening procedures are taking longer than expected, but we anticipate it will open soon. We apologize for the delay, and we'll let you know as soon as it's open.

- From Cedar Points Facebook

I too enjoy the arrow trains, but those do look spiffy.

I also enjoy the rides I have had on Mean Streak. I started out hating it, but began to enjoy it more and more, back row and front row. I love how long it is, but I agree it never really does anything.

I remember seeing two trains in the tunnel, which was a crazy sight. I believe it happened twice in '08, the first time was when we went down for a few days and the a few programmers and designers had to fly in to work on it at night. Good times.

I am surprised by all the delays we are seeing for STR, yet again I'm sure it's all to make sure we have the best ride we can possibly get from it. I was not really looking forward to this attraction till my brother sent me some videos (he works up there now in one of the new wester shows, I believe its the theater next to the pizza place by maverick) and I really love how it looks. I can't wait to get on it, if the weather is warm enough. Here in florida I never mind jumping on dudley or any of the beloved water soaking rides down here...but cedar point, It'll have to be a nice day

does any one know whats holding it up. i feel it maybe something with the boats

that was the initial hiccup...who knows what the problem is now. Still could be the boat. I bet in someone's head they are saying "we shoulda went with mack" lol...

LMAO - Mack .........

Thankfully, I'm confident the contract for this ride protects CF, since they haven't taken the "keys" yet for the ride.

With that said, as an Intamin fanboy, this situation does leave me scratching my head

I bet in someone's head they are saying "we shoulda went with mack" lol...

Yes because Mack has NEVVVVVER had a problem with any of their water rides either.

--Robb "How many times did Sea World Orlando have to re-profile that first little drop on Atlantis?" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ Did you work on Maverick?

I once saw two trains in the tunnel . . . nobody thought it possible until it actually happened. Haha!

Yes, I worked on Maverick a couple of times last season.

Wait, wait, wait. Is that Dick Kinzel spending money in his own park?!?!?!?! How much you wanna bet he had someone open those change boxes up after they were done so he could get his money back?

Or maybe he used the quarter on a string trick.

I'm happy to see that they were not too wet after riding. Hopefully it will only be a few more days until STR opens.

^ Did you work on Maverick?

I once saw two trains in the tunnel . . . nobody thought it possible until it actually happened. Haha!

Yes, I worked on Maverick a couple of times last season.

Just a question, how many people are standing by the maverick?

and top thrill dragster, and millenium force and mantis ?

^ Holy crap sprayer action.

^^ I'm not sure I understand your question, I'll try to answer it best I can though.

In terms of how many people are trained at each ride its only limited to how many people management finds. There is no cap on how many people can be trained at a location.

On a per-ride basis, each ride has different systems and different manufacturer requirements for safety reasons. Maverick has seven crew members at any given time, Mantis also generally has seven. I can't speak for Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force as I was not trained at either location.

Those numbers are if every ride position is filled. On days when the rides aren't running at full capacity those numbers can go down. For example: Magnum XL-200 normally runs a three train operation, which requires there to be seven crew members working on platform. If operations go down to two trains the crew can eliminate one position, and if again reduced to one train operation can even cut another position. Most of the coasters and rides are similar in this system at the park, but there is a minimum amount of staffing per-ride based on manufacturer requirements.

^ Holy crap sprayer action.

^^ I'm not sure I understand your question, I'll try to answer it best I can though.

In terms of how many people are trained at each ride its only limited to how many people management finds. There is no cap on how many people can be trained at a location.

On a per-ride basis, each ride has different systems and different manufacturer requirements for safety reasons. Maverick has seven crew members at any given time, Mantis also generally has seven. I can't speak for Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force as I was not trained at either location.

Those numbers are if every ride position is filled. On days when the rides aren't running at full capacity those numbers can go down. For example: Magnum XL-200 normally runs a three train operation, which requires there to be seven crew members working on platform. If operations go down to two trains the crew can eliminate one position, and if again reduced to one train operation can even cut another position. Most of the coasters and rides are similar in this system at the park, but there is a minimum amount of staffing per-ride based on manufacturer requirements.

Is that total number of people working at the ride (including person at entrance to queue and station entrance) or number of people actually working on the ride platform?

Working at the ride.

On platform on Maverick there are four ride hosts, plus one in controls. Then you have one at crowd (station entrance) and one at entrance (queue entrance).

Mantis has five on platform, one in controls. The last is at crowd, I'm unsure if they have added entrance back to many of the rides. If they have then you can add one more ride host to all the coasters except Maverick, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster.

^^^I wouldn't necessarily say those numbers are manufacturer's requirements. It's more likely that they are guidelines as established in the aforementioned attractions SOPs which are a mix of manufacturer requirements and park policies.

I have worked on Arrow and Intamin rides that didn't "require" nearly as many people as CP uses on its attractions.

That said, it does seem to help to have all those extra people around...as long as they aren't goofing off.

Edited by haiderodes