TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

By Sunday, only two of the boats had been retrofitted. The ride uses four boats.

Wait, Shoot the Rapids only has four boats? I would have thought that they would have more than that like other log flumes. I mean if they're using a block system it makes sense, but i'm still kind of surprised.

^^^ Yep that's exactly what I heard from my friend. I was told they are sending the boats back to be modified. I guess they had sent them back once before, but when they came back, they were still getting torn up by the flumes. That's when he topld me a couple weeks ago he thought the opening would be delayed.

By Sunday, only two of the boats had been retrofitted. The ride uses four boats.

Wait, Shoot the Rapids only has four boats? I would have thought that they would have more than that like other log flumes. I mean if they're using a block system it makes sense, but i'm still kind of surprised.

According to the fact sheet about STR it will use 10 boats...

Number of Boats: 10 fiberglass boats

Are they taking a row of seats out of the 'fixed' boats? To me the boats looked similar to what was used on Pilgrim's Plunge, so its odd that HW's flume is fine, and CP's flume is not working. Would have thought that they used the same specs for both.

Are they taking a row of seats out of the 'fixed' boats? To me the boats looked similar to what was used on Pilgrim's Plunge, so its odd that HW's flume is fine, and CP's flume is not working. Would have thought that they used the same specs for both.

I don't think they would. One uses an elevator lift, the other uses two chain lifts.

One a side note, for those Millennium Force experts out there, which seat do you think is the best? I've been riding toward the middle/front recently, because the back wasn't impressing me as much as it used to. I liked more toward the front because you got a bit more airtime on the hills going to and from the island, versus the backseat which didn't do much for me.

Since I'm going next Tuesday, it's Math and Science week, I'm afraid I'm only going to get one ride in. Go for the back? Because I'm going with someone who hasn't been to CP before, so which would be the best seat to ride in?

I don't think they would. One uses an elevator lift, the other uses two chain lifts.

Well, that's a good point....so i guess there are two issues - the lift and the flume.

from the article...

"The manufacturer made the flume, and he contracted out the boats," Kinzel said. "When the boats came together, the boats didn't fit the flumes."

Kinzel said workers have been busy all week trying to modify the boats, which were too long and didn't go over the top of the hill properly. That can destroy the flume, he said.

No chance the boats were bottoming out because the water dummies were too heavy?

Oh wait, this isn't a Disney ride.

In all seriousness, I don't think this is a big deal at all.

As Robb pointed out on the previous page these things happen all the time.

Leave it up to the Cedar Point Fanboys to blow a situation out of proportion.

I think it's fantastic that Mr. Kinzel brought up the importance of a good business relationship. Lawyers for sure play an important role, however, it sure is refreshing to hear that a lawyer doesn't have to be involved in every single situation, especially relatively minor ones.

One a side note, for those Millennium Force experts out there, which seat do you think is the best? I've been riding toward the middle/front recently, because the back wasn't impressing me as much as it used to. I liked more toward the front because you got a bit more airtime on the hills going to and from the island, versus the backseat which didn't do much for me.

I always prefer as far back as I can get. The very back row being my favorite seat. I find the farther back you are, the better the 1st drop is.

I find the front of the train ruins some of the 1st drop. I would never wait in that front row line again, such a waste of time IMHO.

lol, Intamin.

The exact same thing happened on Splash Mountain by O.D. Hopkins and currently the Madagascar ride at USS is also having boat issues.

I don't think this problem is exclusive to Intamin, nor do I think a 2 week delay is that big of a deal. I'm really sick of the pointless Intamin bashing when they are one of the very few ride companies out there who go out of their way to do some very unique designs. And with unique and innovative products comes technical issues. Cedar Point isn't making a big deal out of this so why should any of you?

I mean, the Timberliner trains are delayed and I don't see any "lol, Gravity Group" posts. Why not?

--Robb "If you're going to give a manufacturer crap for being late, why discriminate?" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

lol, Intamin.

The exact same thing happened on Splash Mountain by O.D. Hopkins and currently the Madagascar ride at USS is also having boat issues.

I don't think this problem is exclusive to Intamin, nor do I think a 2 week delay is that big of a deal. I'm really sick of the pointless Intamin bashing when they are one of the very few ride companies out there who go out of their way to do some very unique designs. And with unique and innovative products comes technical issues. Cedar Point isn't making a big deal out of this so why should any of you?

I mean, the Timberliner trains are delayed and I don't see any "lol, Gravity Group" posts. Why not?

--Robb "If you're going to give a manufacturer crap for being late, why discriminate?" Alvey

I'm not bashing them, I'm just disappointed. And like you said, no one's perfect.

No manufacturer of ANY kind of product is perfect.

It's because most people think that theme park attractions are made out of pixie dust and mouse butts. They open completely by magic and ride operators are T-1000 robots that never make mistakes.

It's too much to comprehend that every single ride that is built, even if it's the 1,000th cloned Vekoma Boomerang comes with it's own unique set of challenges that could begin with any number of people who are working on the project all the way from the ride designers down to the company doing the on-ride photo.

There are so many different people, parties, and vendors that make up every amusement park project that having all those developers come together and a project open on time is a HUGE undertaking.

Sometime it works, like the Intimidators at Kings Dominion and Carowinds, and sometimes there are delays like Shoot The Rapids.

And what everyone here needs to understand is this -

Neither the park, the ride manufactuer, the onride photo company, or anyone working on that project want that ride delayed any longer than it needs to be. If it absoultely CANNOT open with the park season, every party that is inolved with that project is going to be working around the clock and putting in every possible ounce of effort to make it happen as soon as humanly possible.

And when someone from that company (and those people DO read this forum) see "lol, Intamin" all they will want to do is give a big F**K YOUto Theme Park Review and it's readers.

So please, have an ouce of understanding of what all these people are doing...FOR YOU...to get the ride open as quicky as possible...FOR YOU before making such statements.

That's all I ask. And I don't think I'm asking too much.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Didn't a CF Intamin coaster open on time just last month?

I do not see why this is a big deal from the animations this looks like another "soaker" water ride.

Most of the time a warm day in May at CP is in the 60's

I know it is CP but it is just a water ride.

JEFF

Yes but now it's being plauged with problems like melting wheel treads & anti rollback problems.

I would happily post in an "lol, Gravity Group" thread. About what I have no idea, I just like the sound of it.

We're taking our first CP trip this weekend, and I'm certainly not all twisted up about STR not being open. There's more important things on my mind, like the Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

Robb I completely, especially when Intamin creates some of the greatest rides on the planet. I am fully aware of the "Intamin curse" but frankly it doesn't bother me at all. I go to Cedar Point daily during the summer and was a little 3 years ago after hearing Maverick's delay, but it was worth it in the end because the ride is amazing, just how Shoot the Rapids will be. Would you rather have a delayed ride, or a ride that will get a bad reputation because it might injure guests and break down?

Didn't a CF Intamin coaster open on time just last month?

I do not see why this is a big deal from the animations this looks like another "soaker" water ride.

Most of the time a warm day in May at CP is in the 60's

I know it is CP but it is just a water ride.

JEFF

Yes but now it's being plauged with problems like melting wheel treads & anti rollback problems.

Oh, yes, that 300+ foot roller coaster, of which there is only one other like it in the world is just "plagued" with problems.

I mean, there's only been like what, 40 or so trip reports about it already? Seems to me that a lot of people are getting on that ride JUST FINE.

And yeah, it may melt a wheel here or there...here's some info for you... SO DID GOLIATH! TEN FREAKING YEARS AGO!

Here's the reality of the situation...if you don't want to put up with the melting wheels or what have you, go ride one of the more cookie cutter B&M's down the road at Busch Gardens and STFU. They will be nice and reliable and fun, and you won't have to worry about melting wheels.

Go there. Stop bitching. DONE!

No manufacturer of ANY kind of product is perfect.

It's because most people think that theme park attractions are made out of pixie dust and mouse butts. They open completely by magic and ride operators are T-1000 robots that never make mistakes.

It's too much to comprehend that every single ride that is built, even if it's the 1,000th cloned Vekoma Boomerang comes with it's own unique set of challenges that could begin with any number of people who are working on the project all the way from the ride designers down to the company doing the on-ride photo.

There are so many different people, parties, and vendors that make up every amusement park project that having all those developers come together and a project open on time is a HUGE undertaking.

Sometime it works, like the Intimidators at Kings Dominion and Carowinds, and sometimes there are delays like Shoot The Rapids.

And what everyone here needs to understand is this -

Neither the park, the ride manufactuer, the onride photo company, or anyone working on that project want that ride delayed any longer than it needs to be. If it absoultely CANNOT open with the park season, every party that is inolved with that project is going to be working around the clock and putting in every possible ounce of effort to make it happen as soon as humanly possible.

And when someone from that company (and those people DO read this forum) see "lol, Intamin" all they will want to do is give a big F**K YOUto Theme Park Review and it's readers.

So please, have an ouce of understanding of what all these people are doing...FOR YOU...to get the ride open as quicky as possible...FOR YOU before making such statements.

That's all I ask. And I don't think I'm asking too much.

--Robb

This is EXACTLY the reason why most parks and manufacturers dont give two farts about the enthusiast community. These threads make it so difficult for event planners and no one realizes it.

Can anyone please give me an idea how crowded it will be on June 8th (a Tuesday)? Ive never gone this early in the year, I usually go like the last week of August when pretty much everything except the "major" coasters is a walk-on…I know it’s not supposed to be too crowded early on in the season but I didn’t know if a weekday in early June is early enough to miss the huge crowds…

Must be getting close to opening day!

They have started putting out the trash cans. I am sure that it will take a 24 hour/day effort from now until 9:00 Saturday morning to get all of these out.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/webcams/index.cfm

I agree with what Robb said, people need to lighten up. Whenever there is a new coaster announced it is like a race to see who can be the first to come up with reasons why the ride will suck, restraints.. not enough air time... etc. This is usually just by watching the animations.

This is EXACTLY the reason why most parks and manufacturers dont give two farts about the enthusiast community. These threads make it so difficult for event planners and no one realizes it.

..and most of the time it's a bunch of bitchy teenagers who know nothing! Seriously, if this ride was made by a different company and had the same delay, no one would say a thing about it! Its a freakin water ride that is opening a whole two weeks late, during a time when the forecast is in the 50s and 60s! Calm down!