TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sorry to interrupt the discussion on about "New Meaner Streak Wood Coaster 1" but I have quick question for someone to answer....

Looking to go to cedar point in august. would 8/11 8/12 be less crowded/better time to go or would 8/25 8/26?

I went this past year on the 3rd weekend of August. Was a Saturday: Aside from Valravn the wait times weren't too bad actually.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion on about "New Meaner Streak Wood Coaster 1" but I have quick question for someone to answer....

Looking to go to cedar point in august. would 8/11 8/12 be less crowded/better time to go or would 8/25 8/26?

I went this past year on the 3rd weekend of August. Was a Saturday: Aside from Valravn the wait times weren't too bad actually.

I went in late may or early june last year, everything was pretty good but the valravn line situation was just weird. It was consistently 1 hour and a half to two hours for the WHOLE day, and then at the last hour-half hour it went to about a half an hour wait. This the only time we rode it and we got to do it like 2-3 times per night in an hour to two hours.

Does anyone else feel that Magnum XL-200 is underrated as hell? I mean I generally find hypers and gigas kinda overrated in my opinion, but I personally prefer Magnum Xl-200 to the 2 B&M hyper/gigas I have been on, Behemoth and Leviathan. There are VERY few rides that just never get old like that one. Sure I can physically not ride it more than 2 times in a short period of time due to the pain, but every time I come off that ride I am laughing hysterically. The first half of the ride is pretty bad, only good thing is the view on the first two hills, but those 3 final airtime hills are what puts the ride in my 7th ranking overall. I just think it has a crazy personality and thats why I love it so much.

I dont find hypers or gigs overrated! They are one of my favorite types of coaster! Then again I love high up/tall drop thrills. But yea I myself loved Magnum as well. I noticed it doesnt get a lot of love in the coaster community. Yea I know its kind of painful but its still a lot of fun and the airtime on it towards the end is awesome! Unlike most coaster fans slight pain doesnt bother me when it comes to a coaster. Just as long as its actually fun and I'm not actually injured. lol.

Magnum is a love it or hate it coaster so it's hard to really call it overrated or underrated since there's no clear consensus on it. I don't know many people who think the ride is "just okay". Most people either think it's awesome or it's a rough POS. There are probably some people who fall between those two extremes, but not many.

I'll agree with all of this. This past season I got back to CP for the first time since 2010 (I think) and I renewed my opinion of Magnum. I agree I couldn't stop laughing on this thing, to the point where my wife called me a schoolgirl on the final brake run.

Is it a great ride? No. But I'll eat my hat if it ain't fun.

Magnum was my favorite ride when I visited 20 years ago. Hadn't gone to CP for almost that amount of time. finally got back in 2013 and 2014. i still liked it a lot. i probably need to ride more next time but the other big 3 take precedence.

So I tried Magnum this past season in seat 1-3 for the first time, and it just about killed my back. Hated it. 6-2 is my preferred seat. Airtime is still plenty strong enough and MUCH smoother. Still far from being my favorite coaster at Cedar Point, but it goes from excruciating to pretty darn fun depending on where you sit (I.E. avoid the first and last rows of any car at all costs lol).

I think I may be the only person here that actually prefers the front half of Magnum to the back half. To me that second drop, despite not having much airtime at all, does such a good job of building a great sense of speed and power dropping into the tunnel that leads to the long and low floater hill (my favorite hill on the ride), and I don't find the transitions all that painful in that spot. However, by the time you reach the home stretch, I almost feel like the ride has lost too much of its power. Yeah there's ejector air aplenty, but the ride strangely no longer feels fast. I blame the trim brake for this, which is absolutely necessary for the bunny hills to not kill you lol. Personally I feel the ride would be better if the final hills were re-profiled to have ever-so-slightly wider radiuses so the brake could be taken off, the airtime would be the same as before, but the ride would feel faster and more powerful all the way to the end.

As I said before, I still really like the ride, but for me Millennium Force and Maverick are my top coasters at CP equally. The text above is just my nitpicking coaster layout analyst coming out. For the most part I tend to block out that part of my head when I ride and just have fun.

Magnum is a love it or hate it coaster so it's hard to really call it overrated or underrated since there's no clear consensus on it. I don't know many people who think the ride is "just okay". Most people either think it's awesome or it's a rough POS. There are probably some people who fall between those two extremes, but not many.

I tend to fall in between. My favorite things about the ride are the slow lift and the bunny hops at the end, but overall?! I prefer at least 5 other coasters at the park.

Well, with all the Magnum love going on. . . I'll jump on the Magnum boat.

Previously I HATED Magnum. I thought it was a giant POS that needed to be demolished. However, once I "learned" how to ride it. . . I love it. Is it the best ride in the park? No. Is it in the top 5? Probably. I love it, and we ride it several times every visit. It's a classic, and I'd hate to see the park remove it. (However, I think we can all say that Magnum is not going anywhere any time soon.)

It's very different because it was during the time when people are still figuring out how everything works. Someone took the risk and someone paid for it. Of course, there are far better rides at CP but Magnum is always the one that started everything and the one with the most character.

Now can we talk about how Arrow used up stop plates on Magnum even though Moonsalt Scramble, which was taller and had inversions, has been running for 6 years in Japan?