TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I feel like the Valravn line moves relatively quickly. Not GateKeeper quick, but assuming it doesn't break down (which it's done briefly both of the last two times I've ridden it), the line doesn't leave you in one spot very long.

Although an official date has not been set in stone, me and a friend are planning to visit Cedar Point on August 20th. We are driving from the Washington DC area. It looks like its a weekend trip (Fri-Sun). Fast Lane Plus is part of our budget ($330 each including hotels, admission, and FP+). How are the crowds at that time of the year? Would it be packed in which Fast Lane is needed, or the crowds start to thin out because school is about to start?

We are also planning to visit Kings Dominion this weekend. Does other Cedar Fair parks offer discounted coupons to Cedar Point?

Cedar point weekends = crazy crowded. Fastlane is a requisite. Weekends then are just as crazy, if not more, because it is the last chance most have before the season ends. If somehow you could switch your dates to the weekdays around then you would be far better off, but I know it's the ideal, just not feasible for most.

Although an official date has not been set in stone, me and a friend are planning to visit Cedar Point on August 20th. We are driving from the Washington DC area. It looks like its a weekend trip (Fri-Sun). Fast Lane Plus is part of our budget ($330 each including hotels, admission, and FP+). How are the crowds at that time of the year? Would it be packed in which Fast Lane is needed, or the crowds start to thin out because school is about to start?

We are also planning to visit Kings Dominion this weekend. Does other Cedar Fair parks offer discounted coupons to Cedar Point?

If you're only going for one day then yes, buy Fastlane Plus. I'm not sure about tickets. If you live in the DC area I'd just buy a platinum pass and go to KD a lot.

Cedar point weekends = crazy crowded. Fastlane is a requisite. Weekends then are just as crazy, if not more, because it is the last chance most have before the season ends. If somehow you could switch your dates to the weekdays around then you would be far better off, but I know it's the ideal, just not feasible for most.

How about the weather? I don't want to spend $300 in the Cedar Point infamous rain.

On August 20th????

It'll be 76 degrees in the morning, getting up to 82.5 at 2:47 PM before a low pressure system moves in bringing some clouds and winds of 5 knots from the west by early evening. There will be a brief shower at 7:37 PM but it'll end by 7:48. Dragster will close but only for about 5 minutes so it's not a big issue. Remember to wear lots of sunscreen as it will be mostly sunny throughout the day and the UV index is high.

The only uncertainty is that at 2:46 PM there's a cloud that may or may not develop into a brief shower but even if that does happen it will only rain on the back half of the park for a period of 30 to 40 seconds so nothing would close. It might even be a welcome relief given the heat and UV index.

Oh and also... did you just ask what the weather would be like on AUGUST 20th??? They don't even know that the damn weather will do tomorrow. Lol wtf???

Fastlane is a requisite.

Never. If you want to ride all the coasters, and the best flats, more than likely, yes it is. But never say a pay-for- cut system is a requisite. Then the bad guys win!

(Yes, this was said somewhat tongue in cheek, but also somewhat tongue out of cheek... )

How about the weather? I don't want to spend $300 in the Cedar Point infamous rain.

In all (sorta) seriousness, my Birthday is August 19, and I can safely say, in all of my 30+ birthdays, it has been awesome weather FAR more than not! So, I'm telling you there's a good chance you'll be fine!

Unfortunately, only one of those Birthdays was actually spent at Cedar Point, where the weather is volatile, and rain and storms frequently batter the park when other places are great... Sorry...

I feel like the Valravn line moves relatively quickly. Not GateKeeper quick, but assuming it doesn't break down (which it's done briefly both of the last two times I've ridden it), the line doesn't leave you in one spot very long.

Or.. If they got to stop GateKeeper on the lift because some idiot had their cellphone out...

Have any of you ever been taken off of Raptor before the normal loading station (because of high winds)? I had that happen to me last summer; it was already 9:30ish so Raptor was basically a walk-on, and after we finished the ride we had to be taken off before the typical station (with the help of employees) due to the high winds. I know Raptor closes quite a bit due to the wind, but that had never happened to me before.

Does the line for Valravn move quickly? I remember reading during Gatekeeper's opening season that the line would be very long, but move very quick.

The problem I've experienced with (THE) Valravn line is that the ride has had a lot of uncharacteristic downtown for a B&M in my 3 visits so far this season. My first ride a 75 min wait turned into 3 hours due to the ride having trouble with the brake run, pretty important I guess.. But I was on the stairs of the station and committed to waiting it out at that point. Second ride was much smoother and I made it in for early entry which I have honestly never done before and waited about 30-40 mins.

When the ride is operating the line moves at a very reasonable pace, just don't expect Gatekeeper or Raptor capacity.

On August 20th????

It'll be 76 degrees in the morning, getting up to 82.5 at 2:47 PM before a low pressure system moves in bringing some clouds and winds of 5 knots from the west by early evening. There will be a brief shower at 7:37 PM but it'll end by 7:48. Dragster will close but only for about 5 minutes so it's not a big issue. Remember to wear lots of sunscreen as it will be mostly sunny throughout the day and the UV index is high.

The only uncertainty is that at 2:46 PM there's a cloud that may or may not develop into a brief shower but even if that does happen it will only rain on the back half of the park for a period of 30 to 40 seconds so nothing would close. It might even be a welcome relief given the heat and UV index.

Oh and also... did you just ask what the weather would be like on AUGUST 20th??? They don't even know that the damn weather will do tomorrow. Lol wtf???

This post is right up there with Robb's "Talk politics and you'll be banned quicker than you can fall out of a log flume" earning the eligibility for post of the year.

Well played!

The one thing that baffles me on this forum since I've been here is the neverending: "Hey guys I'm going to such and such park in 3 months, how will the lines and crowds be hour by hour?

I used to think that was baffling but asking about the weather 3 months ahead of time really put things in perspective for me. Lol

A few things with the hotel growing, to me I don't see why we would not get new water slides. with them bringing in more people they are going to need to find a way to split the park up. They did just make all the room for it .Maybe mean streak could be a few years down the road or both next year. But seeing what they did with Ghost rider I feel that is the path they will go down.

The end of August a lot of Ohio schools go back to school so its not as bad weather in Ohio can be anything.

On August 20th????

My rule of thumb--never look more than three days out. Meteorologists suck.

On August 20th????

My rule of thumb--never look more than three days out. Meteorologists suck.

Oh also...

A few things with the hotel growing, to me I don't see why we would not get new water slides. with them bringing in more people they are going to need to find a way to split the park up. They did just make all the room for it .Maybe mean streak could be a few years down the road or both next year. But seeing what they did with Ghost rider I feel that is the path they will go down.

The end of August a lot of Ohio schools go back to school so its not as bad weather in Ohio can be anything.

I don't see two major investments in rides in the same year. It's just not the most efficient way to spread capital. And I honestly don't see a Ghost Rider type refurb, simply because there is no emotional attachment to Mean Streak (sorry Mean Streak Henry), like Ghost Rider, and it was never an excellent ride, like Ghost Rider.

The best they'll get from a massive refurb is 1991 Mean Streak which is nowhere near 1998 Ghost Rider.

The lines weren't too bad today. I'm surprised I actually managed to get in all of the major coasters in a single day for once.

Dragster (walk-on)- Great launch, decent airtime at the top, and so much smoother than Kingda Ka, it's not even funny. Even the brake run on this ride is intense.

Millennium Force (10 minute wait)- The drop in the back seat wasn't nearly as amazing as I remembered (from my last ride like 9 years ago). Honestly, after visiting King's Island yesterday, I thought Diamondback's drop was much more exciting. I definitely never thought I'd say that, lol. MF was still just as smooth as I remembered, though. I had no problems with roughness at all.

Maverick (25 minutes, though the line got much longer soon after I rode it)- Excellent! Better than excellent, in fact. The ride was one of my favorites already, but now with the new i305 vests, it's even better, and extremely re-rideable. much comfort very airtime wow

Skyhawk (walk-on) - Still one of my favorite flats. Any ride with that much airtime and restraints that give you enough mobility to reach forward and touch your toes is a win in my book.

Rougarou (10 minutes) - Nice, smooth, forceful ride, with some quick transitions and a couple of moments of decent airtime. Better than Mantis. Would ride again.

Wicked Twister (20 minutes)- Best in the back seat, IMO. I've always loved the beach-side setting of this ride. I really wish there were more rides in this park that offered a beach view from the queue. The ride is over pretty quickly, but it packs a punch. It's worth riding twice in a row, front and back (just don't bother sitting in any of the middle seats.)

Gatekeeper (walk-on)- Way too rough to be enjoyable. The EXTREMELY tight (stab into your hip bone) lap restraints were truly horrible for me, too, just like every other B&M that uses these restraints. At least the vests don't lock like Wild Eagle. The first drop was great, but this ride gave me more of a headache than anything else in the park, even Magnum.

Blue Streak (5 minutes) - Not too rough, and has some nice airtime moments.

Iron Dragon (15 minutes) - It's hard to give this ride a fair review right now, since I'm still getting over how incredible my night ride on The Bat was at KI last night, so I'll just say... This was an ok ride

Power Tower Blue Side (10 minutes) - I like that the "down" side of this ride still has a pretty quick rise to the top, and a couple of floaty bounces on the way down. The inital drop itself is pretty uneventful, though. I didn't bother riding the Red "up" side.

Corkscrew (10 minutes)- The front seat has better airtime than almost any other ride in the park, just sayin'. These Arrow OTSRs are never kind to my shoulders, though. I'm too tall to experience any headbanging on these types of rides, but there was still plenty of clavicle banging to be had. I had to hunch over in the seat to fit, so my back was hurting once I got off of the ride, too. #1AndDone #IWishTheseRidesJustHadLargerOTSRsSeriously

Magnum (15 minutes) Good thing I took some headache meds this morning. Has as this ride always thrown you around so violently through the turnaround? I used to love this ride, but it was a bit much for me today. I had to take a break after this one. The ending bunny hops were still as great as I remembered (they're the only good part of the ride, IMO), I just had to scoot forward in my seat so the uncomfortable lap restraint would hit a meatier area on my spindly thighs, lol.

Gemini (10 minutes)- Has some nice airtime in the back seat. These rides are very smooth, but just have a couple of awkward jerky transitions in the helices of death.

Mean Streak (20 minutes)- I rode in the front. There was no airtime to be found anywhere on the ride, but it's really not that rough at all, IMO (at least not in a way that actually hurts), it just kind of shuffles awkwardly through the transitions and jostles you around. You have to ride it defensively. This is not a hands up kind of ride.

Raptor (30 minutes) - The first drop is so good in the back seat. Very few rides still give me the feeling of losing my stomach. This is one of them. The MCBR didn't kick in at all, so the second half of the ride was relentless. I've never noticed before, but that straight section just before the cobra roll is actually a very very tiny bunny hop. You can see it clearly when you're standing in Valravn's plaza, and it's actually noticeable when you're on the ride. Pretty cool

Maxair (15 minutes) - Great speed, and great views of the midway below. The purpose of that (very pronounced and inward facing) crotch nub confuses me so much, though, lol. Why does it exist? Whyy? It's not really much of an issue for me on this ride like it is on Top Spins, though.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride (Walk-on) - One of the better mine trains I've ridden. The drop down to the water is great in the back seat (or as close as I could get to the back, since the back seats were closed off). Again, like Mean Streak, lean forward and ride this one defensively.

Valravn (45 minutes) - This ride has the same uncomfortable restraints that I hate, so I wasn't looking forward to waiting a whole hour and a half for it. I finally got in line at the end of the day, though, and got on right as the park was officially closing. It's a nice relaxing ride, until you hit the brake run and realize just how stupidly tight the restraints have become. The view at the top of the lift is gorgeous (still nowhere near as gorgeous as Griffon, but I can't fault Valravn for that, lol). The airtime on the first drop was so minimal that it really didn't even feel a like drop to me. The second smaller drop was more fun, IMO, at least in the front seat where I was sitting. Standout moments of the ride were the airtime hill and the 0g roll. The ride had a slight rattle, but not enough to give me a headache, so I didn't mind.

Edited by nannerdw

Gatekeeper (walk-on)- Way too rough to be enjoyable. The EXTREMELY tight (stab into your hip bone) lap restraints were truly horrible for me, too, just like every other B&M that uses these restraints. At least the vests don't lock like Wild Eagle. The first drop was great, but this ride gave me more of a headache than anything else in the park, even Magnum.

Valravn (45 minutes) - This ride has the same uncomfortable restraints that I hate, so I wasn't looking forward to waiting a whole hour and a half for it. I finally got in line at the end of the day, though, and got on right as the park was officially closing. It's a nice relaxing ride, until you hit the brake run and realize just how stupidly tight the restraints have become. The view at the top of the lift is gorgeous (still nowhere near as gorgeous as Griffon, but I can't fault Valravn for that, lol). The airtime on the first drop was so minimal that it really didn't even feel a like drop to me. The second smaller drop was more fun, IMO, at least in the front seat where I was sitting. Standout moments of the ride were the airtime hill and the 0g roll. The ride had a slight rattle, but not enough to give me a headache, so I didn't mind.

Wow... Never in my 50-ish rides on GateKeeper would I have ever considered it rough! I also haven't had any issues with the restraints since the first year. Of course, I'm not as tall as you, it sounds like, so that could be part of the issue...

Regarding the Valravn restraints, I don't find them uncomfortable at all. But again, I'm not tall... I love that first drop, however! I definitely consider it the best drop in the park, with MF close behind! Strange that you weren't enamored with either drop... I guess that goes to show how different everybody's personal tastes are! (Not to mention, you actually had positive things to say about Corkscrew and Mine Ride, one of which is terrible (in my opinion), and the other of which is dreadfully dull...)

Gatekeeper (walk-on)- Way too rough to be enjoyable.

say-what-nc.png.5a4b89d2efb479b69402519a1908708b.png

Look, I get that everyone has different body types, and what's comfortable for me might not be comfortable for you, but... rough? Gatekeeper? ROUGH?

Sometimes I just don't understand enthusiasts.