TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hi guys, I'm sorry to interrupt the talk about Valravn, but I really need help with something! Im planning my very first visit to Cedar Point in late May. Plans are to flight to Cleveland (I live in Boston), take the train to Sandusky and then, considering that I can't rent a car and that the hotels on the Point are so expensive, I was thinking about staying at a hotel in Sandusky and take a taxi to the park. I plan to stay for like two days. Do you think that's feasbile? A good idea? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much! (ps.: chances are that Ill be all by myself.)

I would just spend the extra cash to stay in the park, you are already flying into Cleveland so why not stay in the park? You will also get early entry by staying in the park, gives you an additional 2 hours ride time without any sort of crowds to contend with.

Hi guys, I'm sorry to interrupt the talk about Valravn, but I really need help with something! Im planning my very first visit to Cedar Point in late May. Plans are to flight to Cleveland (I live in Boston), take the train to Sandusky and then, considering that I can't rent a car and that the hotels on the Point are so expensive, I was thinking about staying at a hotel in Sandusky and take a taxi to the park. I plan to stay for like two days. Do you think that's feasbile? A good idea? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you very much! (ps.: chances are that Ill be all by myself.)

I would just spend the extra cash to stay in the park, you are already flying into Cleveland so why not stay in the park? You will also get early entry by staying in the park, gives you an additional 2 hours ride time without any sort of crowds to contend with.

You'd spend a bunch of money on taxis anyhow trying to get in and out staying off site too. Might as well just stay on property at Breakers in the cheapest room.

^^My guess is because it's only 2/3 the weight and length of a full train, making it that much easier to pull it through the course. If it's for that reason, then my guess as to why they just don't use one car for a pull through is that the trains might be front-heavy and need at least two cars attached to each other for the sake of alignment.

Both the sky ride and train routes can be faster walking than riding, if you account for waiting. The difference is made up in the few minutes you get to relax while riding instead of walking.

This, but Sky Ride is a ridiculous people eater the way they run it. They have an incredible crew and average less than 10 seconds per dispatch per side. I just really enjoy the views and the experience of riding it though. It's the oldest ride of its kind in the country.

Thanks CP Mav and Bill. Makes sense. How often does the train dispatch? We waited and waited and waited for one at the stop near Iron Dragon but after 15 minutes gave up. The amount of other people waiting too was a clear indication that it's popular and I remember hearing on here that it is a fun train ride.

Anybody know why there is only 2 cars instead of 3?
My guess is because it's only 2/3 the weight and length of a full train, making it that much easier to pull it through the course. If it's for that reason, then my guess as to why they just don't use one car for a pull through is that the trains might be front-heavy and need at least two cars attached to each other for the sake of alignment.

The front two rows (or front row and zero car) of any B&M train actually act as one car, so they're shipped in one piece with the rest attached later.

How do they do the pull through for the inversions and the drop? I see how they can do it on the brake run or close to the ground but was wondering how they coordinate when its 200 ft in the air.

I don't think they do pull throughs on B&M's, just on the brake runs.

Tony said on twitter that the 3rd train is not needed for Testing.

Wait do you mean the third car of each train? They have to test all three trains.

My guess is that each train has individual testing. I think what they do is have one row and test it to make sure it's good. If that works out, then they try it with the second row connected. Then if that works out, they will put the last row to make sure the trains are doing what they are supposed to do.

The front two rows (or front row and zero car) of any B&M train actually act as one car, so they're shipped in one piece with the rest attached later.

Actually, they're shipped in three separate rows. We connect the first two for stability when performing our tests on the course, or in today's case, along the brake run and transfer track. If there was only one row, it'd be very wonky. I like the word "wonky."