TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This turn is going to be forceful!!

Just because it's highly banked doesn't automatically mean higher positive g forces. If anything, I would almost bet in some type of crazy feeling lateral force (which is not a bad thing) on the right side of the train at the peak of the turn. B&M has been doing this a lot lately where they design a turn that almost or does bank at 90 degrees + at the peak. They did this on Fury (Treble Clef), Thunderbird (the turn into the inline twist) and Baron 1898 (the helix after the Zero-G roll).

This turn is going to be forceful!!

Just because it's highly banked doesn't automatically mean higher positive g forces. If anything, I would almost bet in some type of crazy feeling lateral force (which is not a bad thing) on the right side of the train at the peak of the turn. B&M has been doing this a lot lately where they design a turn that almost or does bank at 90 degrees + at the peak. They did this on Fury (Treble Clef), Thunderbird (the turn into the inline twist) and Baron 1898 (the helix after the Zero-G roll).

To me it looks pretty sharp as well and I have to imagine there will be some decent speed going into that curve. Idk I like the way you're thinking as well though!

I'm interested to see how fast it takes that turn. I'm glad it's so abrupt and not facing the bay for a prolonged period of time and I think it's going to take it at a decent clip. The reason I bring that up is the fact that 9 times out of 10 the wind comes from the bay, causing Gatekeeper's first half to all be against a strong headwind, Raptor's slowest point into the mid course to be against a strong headwind and Dragster to be trying to crest the hill against a strong headwind. The more a coaster faces the bay at low speeds, the more of an issue the wind is so if it takes that turn with any speed at all I'm optimistic that this ride can run when many other coasters (mainly the 3 I just mentioned) can't.

Edited by coasterbill

I still say Mean Streak is a good coaster. If you ride in the front and lean forward it's much smoother than Blue Streak could ever be and even though the ride does a whole bunch of nothing I love taking a ride through that amazing structure. Hearing all the enthusiasts bitch and moan behind us just makes the ride 10 times better.

And yeah I know I shouldn't have to know a certain way for ride a coaster but whatever, that's what we do and we have tons of fun riding Mean Streak.

I still say Mean Streak is a good coaster. If you ride in the front and lean forward it's much smoother than Blue Streak could ever be and even though the ride does a whole bunch of nothing I love taking a ride through that amazing structure. Hearing all the enthusiasts bitch and moan behind us just makes the ride 10 times better.

And yeah I know I shouldn't have to know a certain way for ride a coaster but whatever, that's what we do and we have tons of fun riding Mean Streak.

I dont know a problem with Mean Streak. Yes it was really rough, but it has a cool layout.

I feel like one time I should ride Mean Streak in a different row just to see this roughness everyone talks about. We've always heard it was rough so we always ride it defensively and because of that we've always known it to be one of the smoothest coasters in the park.

It's really an amazing trick, we did the same thing with Wild Beast at Canda's Wonderland which apparently has a reputation for being a back breaker and had a perfectly smooth ride experience. Same for both Hurler's and the KD Grizzly.

Edited by coasterbill

I was just joking! I actually rode Mean Streak the year it opened and loved it!! It just doesn't do much now with the modifications and trims, however, I still ride it every time I go to CP. It's such a beautiful structure! I want a RMC treatment more than I want any other type of coaster.

I feel like one time I should ride Mean Streak in a different row just to see this roughness everyone talks about. We've always heard it was rough so we always ride it defensively and because of that we've always known it to be one of the smoothest coasters in the park.

It's really an amazing trick, we did the same thing with Wild Beast at Canda's Wonderland which apparently has a reputation for being a back breaker and had a perfectly smooth ride experience. Same for both Hurler's and the KD Grizzly.

Same technique I've perfected growing up with Georgia Cyclone.

The "non-axle seat rule" applies to Mean Streak too. I've done the first row of the last car a few times, and it's about the same as the front seat albeit a tiny bit rougher.

So yeah, count me in the "Mean Streak's not that bad" group. Best time to ride it is at night when flood lights light the whole structure from underneath. Visually one of the coolest experiences in the park believe it or not.

I don't have any real issue with Mean Streak... I love taking late evening and night rides on it... No, it's not the most thrilling ride in the park, but I still think it delivers a decent ride. The past few years the park has really taken good care of it and it has been worth riding. Roughness wise, I don't find it much worse than Blue Streak all things considered. I have had worse rides on the Blue one in that regard.

I still wouldn't be against a RMC conversion or a brand new GCI in it's place, though...

Try that trick, I promise I works. The ride itself still meanders around and doesn't do much... if they RMC it I won't miss it but in the meantime I'll enjoy it for what it is... a cool ride through an amazing structure in a great setting. It's not that bad, and if it weren't at Cedar Point sitting on prime real estate for expansion it would never generate the level of hatred that it does.

The problem with RMC working on the ride is that Cedar Point does not need another huge, near-vertical, inverting steel coaster. At least not right now. A GCI should take Mean Streak´s place if it indeed goes to the amusement park in the sky. That or a new launched family mine train like Firechaser Express. Let us remember that a good amusement park can´t be JUST thrill rides. The lowest height restriction for a roller coaster (besides the boring kiddie coasters) is 48¨. If I was a kid at Cedar Point around 42¨, I´d be pretty bored most of the day.

I totally disagree on MS. A few years ago during Coastermania, they begged us to ride MS for ERT at night. That was a Friday night, and for the first time I enjoyed it. I think they turned off the trims, although I'm not that familiar with the ride since I don't like it. I rode it twice and enjoyed. It was closed the next day so, I came back Sunday and rode it in the front and it was $hit!

Blue Streak is my favorite ride in the park. I ride row 1 or 2 only and throw my hands up and enjoy!! No thinking about how to ride. Normally the line is short and I can ride over and over.