TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm up in Santa Barbara getting jaw surgery this week. I visited a local thrift store yesterday and stumbled upon this gem. It makes up for not being able to ride coasters for at least the next 8 weeks.

[attachment=0]IMG_2534.JPG[/attachment]

WOW!I remember that character from Magic Mountain. Geeesh, I even have pictures with him from back in the early 80's. How did the Jaw surgery go?

Did anyone go mon-wed this week? Half hour lines?

It’s been kinda busy due to BAFF, but the park has been battling it appropriately.

This week they have been running 3 TRAINS on TC, TATSU, and VIPER!

3 trains on Tatsu has kept the wait under 30 minutes all day. So it’s been great!

Three trains on Tatsu? Wow I feel like that hasn't happened in forever. Three trains on Twisted Colossus should be normal though since they do have a fourth train specifically as a parts donor. But normal is relative these days I guess.

The 4th train on Twisted Colossus is not a parts donor but is used when one train goes down for annual refurbishment so they can still run 3 trains.

Nice find, but when exactly is it from?

Probably the mid-late 1970's. We were there in 1975 when the Wizard and his Trolls were The Mascots of Magic Mountain.

There was no ownership in it's name, like it is now. So that's probably one of the Trolls, dressed for whatever German-style

eating place/bar (maybe?) that was there, back then. With it's own souvenirs shop!

Edited by Nrthwnd

Three trains on Tatsu? Wow I feel like that hasn't happened in forever. Three trains on Twisted Colossus should be normal though since they do have a fourth train specifically as a parts donor. But normal is relative these days I guess.

The 4th train on Twisted Colossus is not a parts donor but is used when one train goes down for annual refurbishment so they can still run 3 trains.

Yeah maybe parts donor isn't specifically the term I'm looking for... Let me explain.

Maintenance routinely pulls plenty of crap off of whatever train is not in service at the time to support the other three that are. Twisted Colossus just happens to be lucky that yes, with a little work, they can pull one train off and have another ready to go and maintain three train ops.

I just hope that Twisted Colossus doesn't end up like X2 eventually where you have three trains 'technically' but the 'third' train is really all of the parts that have been Frankensteined out of the other two trains to support them, aka the 'third' train will never be operational because it's just a bucket of whatever is left after the first two trains have eaten. That's why early last year X2 was down to single train operation; the second train had to be taken off and refurbished as it had hit its hard cycle limit and the 'third' train was and continues to be non operational.

when they first got the 4th train they were taking seat backs off it. i haven't been for a month, but man, those seat back and sides are just about to crumble apart. it's hard to believe they actually started out black.

Was there yesterday and they were working on the entrance to it.

First ride of the day for me around 2:30 I got stuck on FT in the loading station after my ride about 3 rows from the normal stopping spot(I was on the front row.) The other train was just outside the tunnel. This happened 3 weeks ago when I was in line just the same way. Good thing though I was stuck in the shade because it was hot! This time only 2 mechanics came and pushed the train by the tunnel first. A ride operator came and offered us water after about 10-15 minutes of waiting. It was fixed shortly after.

Random comments :

Lex Luthor was closed 2nd half the day.

Tatsu's line was like an hour. Full queue.

Ninja and Batman were walkons as well Apacalypse to end the night when I rode them.

Twisted Colossus wheels are screeching alot at least on the train I rode and you can hear it everytime it leaves the station.

There was a traffic jam in the jetstream base, the lead boat was stuck and wasn't moving(due to weight most likely) and the employee was just jumping up and down on the back of the boat which I found odd instead of just pushing it away from the boat behind it which was touching it lol. After several resets and jumping the boat broke free, but that delay caused the boats to bump into each other as they got to the bottom of the lift hill and when arriving back at the base. Shortly after that I saw them sending empty boats but then went back to normal after.

How long ago did they take away the computers in the Cafe?

Edited by Freestyle23

I just hope that Twisted Colossus doesn't end up like X2 eventually where you have three trains 'technically' but the 'third' train is really all of the parts that have been Frankensteined out of the other two trains to support them, aka the 'third' train will never be operational because it's just a bucket of whatever is left after the first two trains have eaten.

I don't think this will happen as X2 is a ride with defunct/limited parts and pieces so they have no choice but to tear apart the other train where as with RMC they can just buy whatever parts they need if they run out. But this is Magic Mountain we're talking about so I wouldn't put it past them.

How long ago did they take away the computers in the Cafe?

Probably a year or two after they installed them. I never saw anyone using them.

Nice find, but when exactly is it from?

Probably the mid-late 1970's. We were there in 1975 when the Wizard and his Trolls were The Mascots of Magic Mountain.

There was no ownership in it's name, like it is now. So that's probably one of the Trolls, dressed for whatever German-style

eating place/bar (maybe?) that was there, back then. With it's own souvenirs shop!

I actually own a MM stuffed animal troll. Still has the tag as well, though it's not attached anymore.

^ I have the button with them on it, from 1975.

And for those asking about Justice League progress...there is a photo on the previous page.

(The inside, of course, they're never gonna let you see.)

Just pointing that out. Peace.