TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I went to the park today with my wife around 12pm to process our season pass we bought from the Labor day flash sale. We didn't know that if you buy your season pass online and bring your printed page that has the barcode on it, you can skip the long processing line and head straight to the main gate. You give the attendant your printed page with the barcode, they scan it and ask you to place your right index finger on the scanner. After a couple of seconds you receive your season pass card. No pictures are taken now for a season pass.

After the quick and easy process of getting our season pass, we went to X2 but left when we saw the 2 hour wait. We walked down to Apocalypse and rode in the second to last row... Rough ride! I remember the coaster being an enjoyable and relatively smooth ride when it opened but just a couple of years later it's pretty rough sad to say.

We went on Goldrusher and after that we headed to Lex Luthur Drop of Doom. The wait was about 15 mins and we got the absolute BEST ride. I told my wife before we rode we might be lucky enough to have the tower sway because Superman was running today. Well we couldn't time it any better. We were about 5 seconds from the top and we hear and feel the rumble of Superman coming up the tower. I tell my wife "I think this is it, it's happening!" We look at each other and we hear and feel Superman roaring up the tower! We both stare straight ahead and we start to sway left to right, right to left, left to right, right to left... you get the idea. It was incredible and totally made the ride that much better. We headed to Full Throttle and it was another 15 min wait. We really like this ride even though it's pretty short. That hang time on the loop is so awesome. My body was off the chair and the restraints were doing all the work (thankfully!)

After that we got on Goliath and my wife blacked out for a bit but she's a trooper! We left around 2:30pm to eat and cool off at the Westfield mall. Oddly enough, after we ate and cooled off a bit, my wife is leaving with shopping bags that weren't planned... go fig!

We came back to the park around 5:30pm and headed to X2. It was a 10 min wait and we got on the 2nd row in the front. Rough ride! We rode it again because the line was non existant and we tried it in row 5... almost a good ride BUT on the last part of the ride we always hit our head on the back of the seat pretty hard. It was pretty bad and I don't recall X2 being this rough in recent memory. We were pretty disapointed!

We took a break for 30 mins so my wife could take some medicine for her headache and then we went to Superman Escape of Krypton. It was a 15 min wait and both sides were running. We took the left side because we've never ridden on that side and we rode on the back 2 seats. We have a great ride but my wife's headache came back again so we decide to get a slice of pizza from the shop near Batman the ride and called it a night.

The weather was pretty hot but we paced ourselves and the cooling off period in the mall help. We enjoyed our day and were surprised the park wasn't as packed as we would of thought, especially for it being Labor day weekend. The season pass deal is such a steal, free admission to all SF parks, Hurricane Harbor and free parking at SFMM for about $75 bucks! I just wanted to share our day today with you guys and by the way this is my first trip report since I can remember but I hope you've all enjoyed it!

We left around 2:30pm to eat and cool off at the Westfield mall. Oddly enough, after we ate and cooled off a bit, my wife is leaving with shopping bags that weren't planned... go fig!

A trip to SFMM isn't complete until you spend time going to the Westfield mall to eat lunch.

This looks amazing but yet again sfmm delivers another gimmicky coaster. How is no one commenting on this. So gimmicky it makes me sick. Why can't sfmm just deliver one coaster that doesn't have some stupid part that kills it. Six flags in General is dead, marketing loopers as coasters, so pathetic . It's sad that after all of the anticipation this is what we get. Also it's funny that not one person has commented on the fact that it's not a twisted drop. And after seeing the final hacked down version of colossus I'm wishing there was a twisted 180 degree drop. Once again sfmm fans are let down. So sad

Just purchased a Membership. After realizing I paid $130 for my Gold Season Pass last year, I figured the $70, as part of the current offer, was a pretty great price. I'm hoping the Membership will allow me to lock in that annual price (which translates to $5.85 a month) for a few years to come. Granted, the Membership Agreement gives Six Flags the power to change / cancel just about anything without notice, but I'm hoping the park lives up to its word and allows the Membership to be kept at the current terms for as long as I want!

Not that I'm complaining, but how can the park afford to sell these so cheaply?

This looks amazing but yet again sfmm delivers another gimmicky coaster. How is no one commenting on this. So gimmicky it makes me sick. Why can't sfmm just deliver one coaster that doesn't have some stupid part that kills it. Six flags in General is dead, marketing loopers as coasters, so pathetic . It's sad that after all of the anticipation this is what we get. Also it's funny that not one person has commented on the fact that it's not a twisted drop. And after seeing the final hacked down version of colossus I'm wishing there was a twisted 180 degree drop. Once again sfmm fans are let down. So sad

That's too bad you feel that way, I don't feel 'let down' at all, I'm really looking forward to this. It's funny you say it looks amazing then turn right around and totally bash it. And gimmicky, really? ALL coasters are gimmicky in one form or another. This will be a first of it's kind for RMC and FIRST in the US with a high five element and it only has a few inversions and plenty of airtime moments, something original Colossus was lacking, is that so terrible? Sure it could have been longer but you know what.... whatever, it's way better than what is there now. And one more thing, the park is not building this ride for YOU, it's building this ride to generate more traffic in the park so it can make more money. Apparently you don't understand that concept and how ALL themeparks operate- they exist for one thing only, TO MAKE MONEY, NOT just to please you. And I guess you don't understand what RMC coasters are, how amazing they are, which btw is what this will be, and that's just a shame.

Hmm, I'm sensing trolling.

I'm one of the biggest critics of MM, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Finally, they are going to have a fun filled coaster that will last more than 40 seconds, unlike the last few coasters they have built. TC looks action packed through the entire ride and delivers a nice long ride. I cannot wait for the reviews on it, and finally have a reason to go back to the mountain.

So...the first ride of the day and the last ride of the day will not duel based on the set up?

At least for the last ride if it's one station wouldn't they have to dispatch the empty trains for you to arrive back into the station so you'll duel an empty train?

That seems like a strange thing to worry about, but logic would tell you that the first train out, assuming it's full of riders, would be by itself the first time around -- but they would have the second train ready to duel for the return run of the first. Similarly, the last one of the day would duel the second-to-last train on it's first go round....but be by itself on the return run. So, in a way, assuming they're consistently dueling the halves of the ride, the first and last trains of the day will have the most unique rides.

Dying to see some more pictures of the ride - wonder how quick we'll see track on site?

That's too bad you feel that way, I don't feel 'let down' at all, I'm really looking forward to this. It's funny you say it looks amazing then turn right around and totally bash it. And gimmicky, really? ALL coasters are gimmicky in one form or another. This will be a first of it's kind for RMC and FIRST in the US with a high five element and it only has a few inversions and plenty of airtime moments, something original Colossus was lacking, is that so terrible? Sure it could have been longer but you know what.... whatever, it's way better than what is there now. And one more thing, the park is not building this ride for YOU, it's building this ride to generate more traffic in the park so it can make more money. Apparently you don't understand that concept and how ALL themeparks operate- they exist for one thing only, TO MAKE MONEY, NOT just to please you. And I guess you don't understand what RMC coasters are, how amazing they are, which btw is what this will be, and that's just a shame.

Hmm, I'm sensing trolling.

i agree, definitely trolling.

but, i'm so happy there isn't a twisted drop. the only real thing i wanted was a huge first drop. but i'll take two smaller ones. i got the zero g stall, awesome airtime it looks like, awesome pacing, except for the lift, and a long ride. oh, and it's near me.

the gimmick? make sure it still has some of the original Colossus elements and feel to it. great ode to the past, imo.

At least for the last ride if it's one station wouldn't they have to dispatch the empty trains for you to arrive back into the station so you'll duel an empty train?

Dude, remember what park you're talking about. There won't be any other trains on the track to worry about after media day.

I think the 2 for 1 idea behind TC is really cool, but the problem is.... because it's more of a racing coaster that has moments of dueling, (vs a true dueling coaster like Dragons or Gwazi), you're basically going on the same ride twice in a row. The only major difference between the two tracks is the barrel roll vs the "top gun stall". Also, the timing is going to be an absolute nightmare, considering how good park guests are at screwing up basic things like loading and unloading a train.

Also, am I the only one who heard 128 feet and though "really, that's it?" Seems so short for a place like Magic Mountain. Who knows, maybe this is a sign of maturity that they aren't putting out a stupid ride just to break another world record (*cough Full Throttle *cough* Bring back Log Jammer *cough*)