TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

It would be kind of cool if there was a pre-ride video, and immersive theming in the station and up the lifthill, but the twist that the park was hiding is that its actually themed to the Cold War and the fear of the Arms Race and Mutually Assured Destruction. Then the post-credit scenes shows Putin interfering with our elections and controlling Trump like a puppet, showing that the Iron ("Steel") Curtain never really went away.

wtf. lol

it only gets better as you read it. .

Well, the original term "Steel Curtain" that Steelers fans used to describe their defense was a play on the nostalgia and fear of the Cold War and the Iron Curtain from shortly before. Isn't history and politics sexy?

^^ I can tell you that the park wants to have it all ready for opening day. Will it actually happen? Probably not, but that's still what their ultimate goal is. I don't think even they know for sure yet with uncertainty around weather and who knows how many other factors.

P.S. I am speaking unofficially and have no real knowledge beyond what our operations manager told the ACE group that toured the construction site in December.

Well, the original term "Steel Curtain" that Steelers fans used to describe their defense was a play on the nostalgia and fear of the Cold War and the Iron Curtain from shortly before. Isn't history and politics sexy?

sAmgxqN.gif

I prefer politics and nuclear tensions to literally never be on my mind when I am enjoying theme parks.

This is a real gem if you're from Pittsburgh, and I think TPR will dig it, too. It's a lot of footage from the classic documentary Kennywood Memories that didn't make the final cut, put together to make a new program that just debuted last night:

p.s. check out the stand-up experience on Thunderbolt!

For some reason I'm having trouble getting the video to work with tags. If anyone can edit this or successfully post the video, feel free.

Great photos! Such an exciting new coaster. Really makes Kennywood look even more interesting than it already was. I just hope it accommodates larger riders so if I try to go ride it this year I will be okay but there is 0 precedent for it right now.

I am trying to temper my excitement because I do kinda fear Steel Curtain will be a flop, but I cant help myself from being excited, esp as pics are coming out.

OK so Im deff going in June (I have to assume the ride will be open then). Does anyone know what crowds are like a weekend in early June? The 8th or 9th.

If its expected to be crowded is there a fast pass type thing and is it worth it? I thought I saw some people using it when I went last year, and that weekend, in Sept the park was VERY crowded. So much so the lines were at a standstill for most everything and with limited time I left early having missed some of the rides there: Extermintator, Jack Rabbit and Racer which didnt seem to be running.