Lagoon Discussion Thread

P. 137 - TPR's Official Cannibal POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Re: Lagoon Discussion Thread

Postby Jakizle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I think you guys are way overthinking it. As the speed gets higher and the angle gets steeper the track just gets a wider radius to keep the negative g-forces in check. Also, positives kick in as soon as it reaches the inflection point (before it reaches 90 degrees on the pull-out).

Still looks really fun.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:11 pm

StuckInSD wrote:That looks more like hang-time than air-time to me. :Pr

That drop looks epic, but God, I hope they can make that tower look good.

I think they should have jungle vines growing all around the tower. That would look so cool!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Jakizle wrote:Also, positives kick in as soon as it reaches the inflection point (before it reaches 90 degrees on the pull-out).

Doesn't the negative G force between the inflection point and 90 degrees point balance the positive G force? That's the point of having a parabolic shaped "Zero G section" I guess.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:56 am

I discussed the possibility of the 0G sensation with my study group earlier but we couldn't find the right formulas to correctly set up the parabola, can anyone help us with that?

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:34 am

Look up kinematic equations, if you know the speed and angle to the entry to the section it should be easy. Of course, not knowing the resisting force of the fins on the approach, there's no way to calculate the speed going into it.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:46 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:
Jakizle wrote:Also, positives kick in as soon as it reaches the inflection point (before it reaches 90 degrees on the pull-out).

Doesn't the negative G force between the inflection point and 90 degrees point balance the positive G force? That's the point of having a parabolic shaped "Zero G section" I guess.

In theory yes. But remember that even if they do that the positive Gs will have to start before the 90 degrees part as "in theory" (and with no drag) an object falling (with initial horizontal speed) will never fall vertically, which is why a vertical drop will always have to have some air, even if it's not a lot.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ccfan007 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Images from lagoonisfun

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm confused, what's with the off center garage door at the top? Kind of hard to park that high up off the ground... :lmao:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RCF » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Brassinthegrass wrote:I'm confused, what's with the off center garage door at the top? Kind of hard to park that high up off the ground... :lmao:

It's for access to the elevator system for maintenance.

So I took some photos on Thursday outside of Lagoon when they were installing a piece of track, although I didn't realize it until I looked back at the photos so I only got photos of them installing the piece. Here are some of the photos from that day.

NOTE: I have an old, busted camera that has the black dots inside the lens and shows up in every picture. Sorry for the nuisance.
cannibal_ignore_video_004 - Copy.jpg
Here is Cannibal from afar!
cannibal_ignore_video_005 - Copy.jpg
Wicked sure does look like a jealous middle-child, but the skyline definitely looks amazing from here!
cannibal_ignore_video_006 - Copy.jpg
Here is where you see the track piece in the air being put into place.
cannibal_ignore_video_008 - Copy.jpg
Something not mentioned here much, but Roller Coaster is currently going through a complete rebuild that has been going on for years now. This off-season, the lift is getting the love!
cannibal_ignore_video_012 - Copy.jpg
Track piece is installed!
cannibal_ignore_video_019 - Copy.jpg
Directly looking at the drop in front.
cannibal_ignore_video_022 - Copy.jpg
So many cranes are on site for this ride.
cannibal_ignore_video_024.jpg
Reason is because of how great the weather is for a Utah December. It almost reached 60 degrees this day, with no sign of getting colder.
cannibal_ignore_video_028.jpg
The ride looks great from it's right side.
cannibal_ignore_video_041.jpg
However, the dots really do ruin some great photos.
cannibal_ignore_video_042.jpg
The completely right side of Cannibal is breathtaking with that drop!
cannibal_ignore_video_045.jpg
Here is some twisty track laying in the field. There's actually a lot of track and supports laying all around in the overflow parking lot.
cannibal_ignore_video_049.jpg
I felt so naughty taking a picture of Cannibal's back side. :oops:
cannibal_ignore_video_050.jpg
Something not seen or known too well, but the Lagoon Trail that borders the south and east side of Lagoon gets VERY close to Rattlesnake Rapids. This shows the ride down for the year. Figured it would be a cool photo to share.
cannibal_ignore_video_052.jpg
To end these construction photos, here is a complete left-side silhouette of Cannibal's drop. Thanks for viewing!

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:40 pm

^Great photos, thank you for sharing them. Maybe it's my interest in ride theming talking, but I'm especially interested about the themed possible head-chopper tunnel at the bottom of that ridiculous drop! It looks like it was modeled in NL, but in a very good way! What is the ride supposed to be themed to, exactly?
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!