TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The food options MUST get better. My wife and I are very healthy eaters and it's damn near impossible to do anything healthy or "not fried" inside the park. That hindered some of our spending. I also returned a Fast Pass purchase when LR was down (lucky I got 4 rides in over 2 full days at the park). There are some basic, easy changes that will go a long way like someone mentioned: social media. They should be WAY better with that and they need to be more transparent on what's happening and timelines with LR. That pissed me off the most. Planning a 9 hour drive last summer to experience the park full price while a $20 mil lawn ornament sat dormant. Rolled the dice and came back this year before the 2 month downtime. But still...

Why not pack your own lunch, Bill? That's what we do. Even when we fly to a park buying a disposable cooler and packing it with healthy food is usually cheaper than eating in the park. We always eat our own healthy lunch at parks. By dinner time we leave the park for our cheat meal, though. Then, beer to follow. (Not at DW)

I love how whenever there's as much as a rumor that attendance at a specific park is down, people come out of the woodwork to complain about everything they don't like about the park and attribute their complaints to the attendance drop.

If crowd levels in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are down because of the fire, and they're very open about the fact that it's down because of the fire then any attendance drop at Dollywood (if there even is one) should be attributed to the fire. It's ridiculous to attribute it to anything else, especially the fact that they don't have enough healthy food (have you seen their clientele? I highly doubt they care... if it sold well then the park would provide it. It's a fair complaint but this isn't a new phenomenon that would lead to an attendance drop) or the fact that they've switched from playing Applejack to "pop country" in Timber Canyon or the fact that the staff doesn't have enough southern charm. What does that even mean? This park has the best staff of any park I've ever been to.

Why not pack your own lunch, Bill? That's what we do. Even when we fly to a park buying a disposable cooler and packing it with healthy food is usually cheaper than eating in the park. We always eat our own healthy lunch at parks. By dinner time we leave the park for our cheat meal, though. Then, beer to follow. (Not at DW)

Great call...and really good idea. Never really planned it out that much, I suppose. We load up on bringing in RX Bars and the alike in a backpack - but like everything in the heat, they melt. That'll be our next thing to do!

I wasn't "coming out of the woodwork", nor did I claim healthy food was a problem to overall attendance. Somoene mentioned they need to refresh/update/improve eating options and it reminded me how unhealthy their options were; even though we shared the impossible to avoid cinnamon bread. I wish parks overall would improve options, across the country.

We were questioned at our check in at the hotel last night with a survey asking questions like where do we normally vacation which is a normal hotel thing but then the survey asked about 10-15 questions about if the impact of the wildfire had impacted our visits any? Of course it hasn't. We live 2.5 hours away and have been down around 3-4 times since November.

Just got 3 rides in on LR within 30 mins. Was there when it opened. Park isn't too bad but at the bottom of the drop I felt the pot whole jolt back again. As far as the launch, the thing is absolutely flying. It does slow down maybe a tad but only noticeable if you're trying to spot it. Other than that it's balls to the wall

Okay, so still trying to find the Mountain Coasters to ride near Dollywood. I've found 3.

Smoky Mountainal Pine Coaster

The Coaster at Goats on the Roof

-and-

Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster

Having never done one of these, we wanted to try out a few different ones. Super excited for this "new to us" experience.

Any advice on the mountain coasters? Are there any we are missing?

^Ober Gatlinburg has one but if you weren't planning on going there, I wouldn't bother as to me it is the weaker/rougher of the four alpine coasters. Not surprisingly it is the only one that wasn't manufactured by Wiegand. Gatlinburg seemed to be the most thrilling of the 4 but it was just too short and was a dollar more than the others at the time I rode it. In order for me, it would be:

1) Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster

2) Goats on the Roof

3) Gatlinburg

4) Ober Gatlinburg

Edited by ernierocker

Okay, so still trying to find the Mountain Coasters to ride near Dollywood. I've found 3.

Smoky Mountainal Pine Coaster

The Coaster at Goats on the Roof

-and-

Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster

Having never done one of these, we wanted to try out a few different ones. Super excited for this "new to us" experience.

Any advice on the mountain coasters? Are there any we are missing?

In addition to Ober Gatlinburg's, there's also the newly opened Rowdy Bear Mountain Coaster

And then Anakeesta should be opening the area's 6th mountain coaster soon.

If at all possible, I'd recommend riding the alpine coasters after dark. I had a blast on Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster at night, and when Robb came out with his POV video of it a few months later (the one with the REALLY long unedited lift hill), it didn't seem as impressive to me in the daylight. The darkness and runner lights really help amplify the experience.

Was at Dollywood today from 4:30pm- closing. I'll be back Thursday. A few things-

- If you ever had the opportunity, do some of the ranger led programs in the National Park. There are even some that you don't have to do anything too physical. It was great and free.

- I listened for music closer after seeing people comment on it. Each festival has a slight twist in what I hear around the park, and I think thats ok. Showstreet had a lot of pop / country / Christian music, and I thought it fit the area. Jukebox Junction obviously was 50's 60's music. I hear the most Dolly music in Timber Canyon and sometimes Craftsmans Valley. I've never had an issue with music. A little bit more Dolly would be nice, but I think they have a good range currently that fits each areas theme.

- As far as food I noticed the "festival" kiosk at Market Square had salads, wraps, and smoothies. I haven't ate at Front Porch Cafe yet but I think they have some healthy options. Cinnamon Bread was as good as always, probably not healthy though. Market Square also no longer does homemade chips, store bought now.

- You can no longer get sweet tea anywhere in the park except the sit down restaurants. That stinks, especially being in the South. A few people told me Red's had it but they do not.

- The Gazillion Bubbles Show was really good, better than I expected. Would have been even better if I had a younger kid with me.

- Mystery Mine's theming was really good today. My last few trips at least one special FX has been down, I noticed some that I hadn't seen before today.

- Lightning Rod was a let down today. Was 85 min wait when I got there, so did other stuff then noticed it dropped to 20. I got in line, got to front of the line and it went down. Also saw a failed launch at one point in the day. Closed for the day after I waited a bit in hopes it would open again.

- Got my first night rides on Wild Eagle and Tennessee Tornado. I've now done a night ride on everything except Drop Line and Lightning Rod. They have all been great, but Wild Eagle in front row at night is by far my favorite so far. It's a must do. Thunderhead also gives a great night ride. Tennessee Tornado was pitch black for the last couple elements.

- Even with the nitpick things (even LR), Dollywood is still a great place. Great rides, great shows, great theming It is growing but I don't think they are loosing the charm. The employees are what makes this place, and sure they are mostly older but some of my favorites are also younger now as well. Operations here blow away other parks. Tennessee Tornado has the best ride ops, cracked jokes the whole time. My two favorites today: "Welcome aboard the fastest currently operating coaster at Dollywood" and "Ready to do 8 corkscrews at 120mph? Well hope not cause that would be a lie" And there's a older guy at the popcorn stand near Celebrity Theater who remembered me by name.

Just a few thoughts lol

You must've been in line when I was then. I was gonna get one more ride in for the evening being I was tired and had been there since 12:30. It had been around 92-93 the entire day. Lightning Rod did not open until 1:03 on the dot, I was the first rider of the day (one of), second row. It was of course one train operation all day. I heard things going on below in the maintenance bay. After my two back to back rides on LR I went to cool down on rampage then to TT. Waited around 35 mins, then after I got off it went down. Fire Chaser was down and running empty trains a majority of the day. Wild Eagle went down twice. Heat seemed to effect them or something of some sort because it was left and right TC each way you looked. Daredevil Falls went down for a bit as well again. Mystery Mine was working great actually. Music was loud and on, lights were working, crusher spinning, screen was bright/clear and on. Fire is still one instead of 3 but that's fine. Now, onto Lightning Rod. As I said you wouldn't have noticed the slowing down at the crest unless you were waiting on it to happen. At first I waited and was like "ok but I'm still out of my seat so I'm fine" then I just stopped paying attention. When it cooled down before it closed and I got my last ride I didn't feel the pop at the bottom so maybe that had to due with the heat and the track, or maybe it was the train coming back down from the airtime haha. So as far as the failed launch this is what I noticed/saw. The train before the failed one, a guys sunglasses flew off on the drop into the brake run. He kept looking back like he seen them laying on the track. Now did the sensors pick the glasses on the break run? Another thing I noticed was this, my last ride Dad also noticed that under the launch LR was either leaking a coolant (understandable) or Hydraulic fluid. When hydraulic fluid gets too hot (system over heats) it will turn to water. Running down from the base and into road was nothing but that. I have pictures and video of it all.

IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.739a9492dd6e351d822643d19e517304.JPG

This just in, Dollywood to rename Lightning Rod "Murphy's Law: The Ride."

I'll be visiting this Friday and Saturday, bringing a friend who's never ridden it. I'm hoping we'll get on it at least once (Got 10 rides on it last year).

Well LRod has been running better for the past month, and now we are back to it breaking down more frequently as some of us on here expected to happen. This really has to be frustrating for everyone involved, guests and park alike. As far as the fluid you note under the bottom of the launch - it appears they have installed a misting cooling system for the launch. This is something I didn't notice until this year. The water from this will often leak into the road.

under the launch LR was either leaking a coolant (understandable) or Hydraulic fluid.

I'm far from an expert but don't they have misters on the launch track to cool the LIMs? I might be wrong but I sort of remember seeing that on opening weekend. I don't really know why a coaster with an LSM launch would be leaking hydraulic fluid in the launch area, so I'd imagine that it's water.

under the launch LR was either leaking a coolant (understandable) or Hydraulic fluid.

I'm far from an expert but don't they have misters on the launch track to cool the LIMs? I might be wrong but I sort of remember seeing that on opening weekend. I don't really know why a coaster with an LSM launch would be leaking hydraulic fluid in the launch area, so I'd imagine that it's water.

I think you're right. I was just there a month or two ago and remember seeing misters on the same area. Assuming it was to cool the piping and metal.

I visited on Monday of this week and Tuesday. I drove from Cleveland, OH about an 8 hour drive. No way I would have come if it were not for LR. It was down on Sunday for most of the day and finally went up after 4pm or so. So on my vacation I took a chance and it worked out, got 3 rides in on Monday late. Of course, early Tuesday it was down for maintenance. It was an amazing coaster for sure. My first ride was just a blur, but the others were so good. Unfortunately, I will never be returning unless they get this coaster running on a regular basis. I loved the park as it was very beautiful and the workers were very nice and friendly, but for me its all about the coasters. Going to a park hoping the whole drive down and while I'm in line is very, very annoying. I understood the ride could go down at any moment..that does not make for a fun and relaxing vacation. Amazing ride, but if management or RMC does not get this thing fixed for good, I will never be back.

I visited on Monday of this week and Tuesday. I drove from Cleveland, OH about an 8 hour drive. No way I would have come if it were not for LR. It was down on Sunday for most of the day and finally went up after 4pm or so. So on my vacation I took a chance and it worked out, got 3 rides in on Monday late. Of course, early Tuesday it was down for maintenance. It was an amazing coaster for sure. My first ride was just a blur, but the others were so good. Unfortunately, I will never be returning unless they get this coaster running on a regular basis. I loved the park as it was very beautiful and the workers were very nice and friendly, but for me its all about the coasters. Going to a park hoping the whole drive down and while I'm in line is very, very annoying. I understood the ride could go down at any moment..that does not make for a fun and relaxing vacation. Amazing ride, but if management or RMC does not get this thing fixed for good, I will never be back.

Coming from someone who did and would visit yearly from STL, MO (8.5 hour drive), these are my sentiments 10000% as well. Nailed it.

I'll never understand why people base an ENTIRE trip around one ride. Dollywood has so much more to offer than just Lightning Rod.
It's because Lightning Rod is the main attraction, and for those of us who live 12 hours away by car and aren't going to visit but once a decade, we want the star to be there.

There's nothing wrong with my stance of holding off on my Dollywood trip until Lightning Rod runs consistently.

- You can no longer get sweet tea anywhere in the park except the sit down restaurants. That stinks, especially being in the South. A few people told me Red's had it but they do not.

- The Gazillion Bubbles Show was really good, better than I expected. Would have been even better if I had a younger kid with me.

I live in the south and I don't drink sweet tea, but I know a lot of people who do. I wonder why they decided to take it out.

I saw the Gazillion Bubble Show for the first time a few weeks ago and I thought the same thing. This is definitely one of the best shows that has ever been at Dollywood.