TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Hopefully they're putting in effort to get two train operation consistent.

I really hope not!!!!! They can't even get one train working consistently, how is it fair to take the ride down during the busy summer season to try and get two running!?!?

Update to the island in Pigeon Forge Wave Rider accident. Looks like they are taking it out. Witness said the door opened while the ride was operating. Sound like equipment issue could be the issue. Wow is was just a month old, http://www.local8now.com/content/news/State-Wave-Rider-at-The-Island-to-be-permanently-removed-435428893.html

Without searching back in the thread, what does it mean again when Lightning Rod doesn't even show up on the wait time list in the app? Is it that they haven't decided yet or that it sunk into the ground and is gone forever?

TC so there's hope it'll open today!

I still can't believe we have to actually wonder if their marquee attraction will be open on a daily basis at this point. Especially after they took it down for a month to supposedly up the reliability in May/early June.

I still can't believe we have to actually wonder if their marquee attraction will be open on a daily basis at this point. Especially after they took it down for a month to supposedly up the reliability in May/early June.

Amen. I'm heading there in about an hour... I don't know whether to be hopeful or not, I've only ridden it twice since it's been back up.

The whole prototype, experimental, first of it's kind, yada yada stuff was acceptable last year, but we are WELL into the ride's second season... enough is enough RMC, Velocity, and Dollywood.

I'm not shifting blame onto any one party here, I'm just saying that it's getting more and more embarrassing as time progresses.

TC so there's hope it'll open today! I still can't believe we have to actually wonder if their marquee attraction will be open on a daily basis at this point. Especially after they took it down for a month to supposedly up the reliability in May/early June.

Amen! Fingers crossed it's open for you. I'm getting really nervous about my trip down there which is rapidly approaching. Prototype rides are great except when they don't run. It sucks to read so many people making the trek down there, some people even from across the pond, and not getting a ride on it. My long drive for my first time ever at DW seems like nothing compared to some travels from other people.

For that reason alone I'm not necessarily in favor of way bigger/cooler/faster is better. Push the limits but do it smartly. With that being said, obviously nobody anticipated it'd have this many problems after being built. Is LR another ride like TTD where we'll be checking the app to see whether it's working or not for the rest of its life? Sure hope not.

Without searching back in the thread, what does it mean again when Lightning Rod doesn't even show up on the wait time list in the app? Is it that they haven't decided yet or that it sunk into the ground and is gone forever?

With my luck it's gonna be gone forever. This ride hates me

Thanks to my cable and internet going down yesterday due to a company with reliability on the level of Lightning Rod (I hate you Comcast), I had limited options available on my computer. Call me nerdy or whatever you'd like, but I plotted Lightning Rod's daily uptime since it opened back on June 16 using the data pulled on the app by the website mentioned a few pages back (thank god that site works well on mobile). I omitted any hours where the ride was closed due to weather though you'd think a Lightning Rod could work in storms.

It was mentioned Lightning Rod didn't like high temperatures so I also plotted the highest recorded daily temperature as well. Lightning Rod's reliability has been trending downwards since it reopened while the temperature has gone up. There could be other variables in play such as the time since RMC left, but I figured I'd show what data I collected.

This is probably one of the nerdiest things I've done related to amusement parks in quite some time and I openly admit that, but I figure some of you may be interested in seeing this as well.

272048143_LightningRodTemperature.thumb.JPG.30b3b5bdecd318bc638e7a18c478578b.JPG

907132023_LightningRodUptime.thumb.JPG.30e1132ce46a01c38afb5f0ef0a35c49.JPG

This is probably one of the nerdiest things I've done related to amusement parks in quite some time and I openly admit that, but I figure some of you may be interested in seeing this as well.

Yes but it is very useful and interesting information and thanks for making it!. I suppose I will probably limit my Dollywood trips to the Fall and Spring knowing LR is not a fan of the summer heat.

10lydd.jpg

j/k

Interesting approach, but I'm not sure there's enough data to adequately make that claim yet. You'd really need some data from colder months, even maybe an extra year's worth before you can really tie the two together.

I spend most of my day at work now correlating various data in order to identify causalities and trends, so I totally appreciate the information and effort. I'd be interested to see what it says once a more robust sample size is available.

Edited by michaellynn4

I agree, it's a small sample size and there could be other variables, but it's the data I had at my fingertips.

I'd like to think the fact that it was TC for half the day meant it was close to opening.

They didn't run any test cycles at all once opening from what I can tell, definitely none once I was there.

I'm still hopeful we have better luck than we did a month ago.

Cool chart Canobie. Weather for my visit is currently predicted to be 88-89 degrees all 3 days as a high and mid 60s for the low. Is DW similar to CP in that they'll keep trying to get the rides open up until the last 30 minutes of park hours? Or if they haven't gotten something (mainly LR) running before, say, 6PM they'll just say screw it and change it from TC to CD?

Yesterday they had it TC until about 3 when they switched it to CD. I've seen them reopen the ride as late as 9 pm if it goes down during the day. Usually Lightning Rod jumps right to CD with my luck so I don't know how late they're willing to open it on a given day.